iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Bears?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 26, 2023, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well I was just out splitting wood and came in the de-sweat for a few minutes. I had the side door open and just the screen door to keep the cats in. My one cat was sitting there enjoying the breeze and sunshine as I was reading on the forum. Suddenly she was looking toward the back yard and started that low growl. She never does that for small critters like birds or chipmunks, usually it's a real threat (to her). I figured a dog was wandering through the yard or a person came to visit (Bill likes to sneak up and she will growl at him). Turned out it was a bear in the middle of the backyard. Sorry no photos. I wanted to remind him he was trespassing and sent him packing. I saw his rump go over the hill headed WNW and into the deeper woods.
 Middle of the day, kind of weird. He looked to be 1-2 years old, so probably looking for his own territory and food sources after mamma sent him packing.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Yep, been one here coming into the neighbors field for old corn stubble once in a while.  Up at the woodlot there are a couple, they climb trees a lot. I call them monkey bears. Young oaks get destroyed up there when they start producing nuts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

This morning there was report of a brown bear crossing the street at the edge of town. More likely a black, they are quite common here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

I saw a 150 ? pounder at noontime today on the dirt road here. It looked at me and then bounced off into the woods. :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Don P

I've heard of several daytime bears here this week and a trooper said they have had several reports this weekend as well. So here, the locust just started blooming and my partner has two fresh fawns in his orchard. Deer control, need more bears in the woods.

barbender

There just starting to get some natural food sources going here, so the bears cause a few problems looking for other food until that happens.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I used to see a lot of bears during the day in the spring when I was up in the woods all the time.  They have to put on a lot of weight and there is plenty to eat now. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, they are always moving this time of year. Turns out one of the neighbors driving by happened to catch the bear in a phot just before it went into our back yard.

Not too worried about these guys as much as that ground hog that set up a condo under my shed. Anybody know good bait for those to get him in my live trap? 2 years is long enough.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom.

I'd try apple.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

Celery works fairly well --- make sure ya cover the floor of your cage with dirt--- if all else fails, peanut butter

thecfarm

Broccoli plants work well.
There was one at the hardware store I use to work at. It dug a hole in the banking. I wanted to get rid of it, but my boss was much smarter then me. He told me, Ain't bothering me any!! Bothered him the next year when it chewed off all the borollic plants in the green house.  ;D
Wanted to say, Bothering you now ain't it. I knew what was going to happen.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

10:00 pm Visitors

~Ron

Old Greenhorn

Gee, aren't they cute? Did you get some snuggle time with them? :D :D ;D

Ron Scott

No. Mama was nearby. ;)
~Ron

Southside

As far as the groundhogs go we let them be.  It's been a few generations now and they are actually quite tame.  They live around the mill shed, under the kiln, etc and have names as such.   Chuck Norris is pretty short, has red hair, and comes into the mill shed then proceeds onto "the stage" area as we call it, and will eat any peanut butter that is left in the 5 gallon pails from mixing chicken feed. The other day I was running the pelletizer and here he comes, walks between me and the controls for the 70, maybe 5 feet away, and doesn't have a care in the world. On any given day we may see four or five around, multiple times a day, their cuteness factor far outweighs any inconvenience they may cause.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on May 28, 2023, 11:24:23 PM
As far as the groundhogs go we let them be.  ,,,,,,,,
Well I usually tolerate all the critters as best I can but this guy is leaving me no choice. He has destroyed my garden 2 years running now. That's al I can stands and I can't stands no more. >:(

Don P

The equipment shed on a nearby farm that we are beginning work on has been a groundhog saga. About 5 years ago I thought we had forked up and collapsed the compound. Ha! They are in the last 2 bays of a 4 bay shed and as usual it seems, they have undermined the footings. I don't know if they sense more protection being "under" something that seems like a big rock. After we failed to remove them, they returned and reestablished the compound, then a fox moved in. It was active with groundhogs and young ones the other day when we were cleaning up and getting ready. The new pup was shoulder deep and sounding off clear to their other exit hole, rockin the casbah  :D. If the buildings are temporary or easily r&r'ed... nah, not even then. I do have a big footprint and I don't want him under it, or my footprint only grows. In the garden voles are our big bears but I have set a trap with peanut butter for a couple that were getting into the garden in the last few years. The new pup looks like he'll cure that. 

KEC

OG, This time of year woodchucks have so much greenery to eat that bait may not work well. Just after dark, put your cage trap so that the chuck will walk into it when he comes out of his hole. Then block off around the trap so he can't go around it. If you have a double door trap and the chuck is walking through a narrow alley, just put the trap in his line of travel and block around it. He'll walk right in.

barbender

I had one around the place I thought was cute. Then I discovered it dug up about a yard of gravel from under the concrete floor of my shed🤬
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

See, that's the difference. Y'all are fancy with nice things and such.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Southside on May 28, 2023, 11:24:23 PM
As far as the groundhogs go we let them be.  
This place is ground hog heaven. A hole about every 20 feet where there is canopy and brush. :D
I fence the garden. ;D I set an old tomato plant out last spring from the grow tent and it had 3 ripe ones left on it. One of the babies come from under the wood pile and plucked one as I watched. It or sibling later took the others. Had 4 last year. Almost like something staged on a Walt Disney show. :D I throw old plants over by the burrow where she had her babies and she comes out and strips anything green. ;) It's not long that the babies disperse, usually July sometime and I don't see them anymore.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Well, that's why we can't have nice things  :D.

I looked up and this guy was staring across the shop at me

RetiredTech

Just goes to show, They're everywhere.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Thank You Sponsors!