iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Coyote.

Started by Jeff, September 12, 2005, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Yesterday while putting in maple taps, we saw where two WOLVES met and had a fight.

One of them left, losing a little blood, the other one must have hit a small artery because it was quite steady spraying off to the left side.

The only reason we say it was wolves is because of the size of the tracks, coyote tracks are usually the size of a quarter and sometimes the size of a half-dollar, but these were a little bigger than a silver dollar.

The injured one could have possibly been tracked down and caught up with, he was definitely hurt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KEC

Wolf feet are huge compared to coyotes. Sort of like gray fox tracks are small and round, but red fox tracks are larger and broad. Coyotes tracks are bigger than fox and tend to be oblong. The wolves have very large foot pads. I don't pretend to know what you saw, Chuck, just sayin. A year or two ago a coyote hunter in Otsego County, NY called in and shot what he thought was a big coyote; DNA testing determined it to be a wolf. DEC is telling hunters and trappers to be aware of this and not kill wolves. Knowingly killing a wolf in NY will land you in legal hot water. 

SwampDonkey

Coyotes prints are a lot bigger than silver dollars. There's a cat around here with a print as big as a dollar piece. He roams in the yard at night tripping the garage light to come on. Coyote tracks are over 3" long and wolf is 5" long, 4" wide. Fox is about 2-1/2" long.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Cedar found this on a weekend run to the cabin

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Seems whatever it was, ate something with hair and likely had a hard time passing it.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

All that hair is good roughage, probably had no trouble at all. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Not sure, but this may of been wolf.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KEC

A lot of things go into identifying scat. Jeff, I would think wolf or big coyote looks right. If in an area where there are free roaming dogs, dogs that are eating store bought dog food will have scat lacking much hair and homogenous in appearance, like the dog food they eat.

Peter Drouin

I have friends in town with night scopes now. I think they're up to 18. The session ends March 20th I think for nighttime hunting.

Old pix in my yard. Biggest one 5' long 50lb they said.
They have a road kill deer out in the field. 160 yards out. 223 on a tripod.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Last winter the neighbor left a dead cow at the back of his field, the yotes and even the wild turkeys (not vultures) fed on that all winter. There were about 40 turkeys hanging around there. I figure a turkey will eat anything a crow eats when it's cold enough. :D

Texas Ranger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 05, 2023, 03:57:03 AM
 I figure a turkey will eat anything a crow eats when it's cold enough. :D
I figure they were eating the maggots.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Winter, Maggots?
Need flies for maggots?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

Turkey have no teeth, cannot chew, bugs the only option, and dead maggots are still protein.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Walnut Beast

Was down in the woods last night sizing up trees and measuring with the full moon. Being able to see the big trees with no light was and always is mystical. But had a hair raising experience of a pack of coyotes that went berserk probably 60 yards over a small bank by the creek. I thought they were for sure coming over the bank our way and going to be in for a big surprise with Diesel and I quiet and alert. They slipped in the CRP. Diesel found the place they were wrestling around on the ground 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Logger RK

Northwest Wisconsin full grown wolf tracks are typically 4-5 inch wide & long. But in the snow it's hard to get a good measurement. I had a pack visit the deer herd the other day, that's been increasing as the snow depth rises where I'm logging this winter. What started out with 6 is 30-40. The deer hear the logging & track down all the tree buds there after. Around dark they move closer to my landing. I must say the wolves are good hunters & don't waste much. It's there getting over populated. Let's just say stray dogs don't last long if they go out in the woods. 

Thank You Sponsors!