iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using your wood waste slabs and sawdust etc

Started by Quebecnewf, September 24, 2005, 08:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I have a friend in the Beaverton area that has recently purchased a MD mill and uses an 80 foot rock belting system to carry away the waste into an outside pile.  Then it is picked up with a trackhoe, which is fitted with a  thumb and  placed into a tub grinder.  He markets that material, which is mixed with other yard fall down materials from his yard service business. 
Frank Pender

karl

Did a search on wood hogs- :o :o :o ??? ??? ???
Got more questions than answers
Can't see me investin' 7 g's in a mill (granted, it was used) and 100 g's in a grinder...........

Anybody used a disc type of chipper for slabs? The only one I have seen is Valby ch 160 pto powered.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Ron Wenrich

2 used hogs on the exchange for $5500 and one at $9500. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Karl, I have a Valby for my tractor, but use it primarely for the smaller material scraps and the slabs for firewood.
Frank Pender

karl

Duh, didn't even think of looking there  :-[(now where did I leave my mind????)

Frank- that was my thought - to used the stuff with some size for firewood and chip the edgings and shop scrap ( I HATE cutting up those "slivers" and handling them for the stove)
Do you find the chips fine enough for bedding?
I wish you lived on this coast- I'd like to come over and play in your sandbox! 8)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Frank_Pender

Karl, you can come and play in my 70 acre sandbox anytime you wish.   Yes the chips are small enough to use for cattle, sheep, goats, etc bedding.  Many people use the chips I produce for pathways and such in garden areas or even for one on their walking trails through their forested areas.  I get $10 a yard if they haul and $12 if I haul.  I will load for the $10 amount.

As an example of the larger material, I am loaded and ready to haul a load to Portland, Sunday morning, of two cords of slab wood at a price of $190 a cord.  The wood is all stacked in the truck.  The first cord will have to be unloaded by hand and the second will be dumped at a second site about 5 miles away from the first.  The backhaul is a chainlink dog pen for a neighbor.   I will make enough on the backhaul to cover the cost of the wood load haul, I hope.
Frank Pender

Brian_Rhoad

I have a Valby chipper. I think it is the model 240. It is the stationary type. Not 3 point and pto. I power it with a 6-71 detroit. It will take 9" round wood and a 12"-14" slab. The chips are blown right into a Schutte hammermill and come out as double ground mulch. I can sell more mulch than I make in a year so it works out pretty good for me!

karl

Tractor trailer loads here delivered go for a bit more than $8. yd....love to sell mine for $12.00!!!!!
Like most things I guess-Location is key.
The chipper is really beginning to sound like the toy...er TOOL for me.

Brian- wouldn't think that Detroit would be at all overworked by the 240, eh?

thanks for the info

Brian_Rhoad

The Detroit runs the chipper and hammer mill at the same time. I have stalled it and have "smoked" the belts also!

Thank You Sponsors!