iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'll be sunk in the ditch

Started by Gus, August 30, 2003, 11:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

obviously I'm missing something. Grits seem to be pretty popular. ::)

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Jeff

This thread started out with a ringing endorsement for the Forestry Forum ( thank-you SDSaw :))

Now look how low its sunk. Grits.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Percy

All this grits talk is makin me hungry :D but Im thinkin allayou sawyers out there cant cook :D cause I still dont hava recipie,hell I dont even know what is in grits? Issit corn??pork??dirt?? Cmon gritgobblers, let us gritless guys in on the secrit.... :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

smwwoody

dirt yea thats it or at least what it tastes like :D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

Well, when Tom made me eat them, the first day I just ate them. Nothing special, in fact not much to them. When Tom made me eat the left overs the second day, now those was good. They coagulated and he sliced em and fried em. Thing is almost anything is good fried. Then once you slop some sausage grease and egg yoke over on them from the real food, they aint half bad.

So having ate them twice, I feel I am an authority on the ingredients. Sausage grease, egg yoke, and I'm not sure what else. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tobacco Plug

I have lived in NC all my life and have eaten my share of grits.  We always said, "May I have some of those grits, please?" But when I married my South Carolina belle, her family said, "May I have some of that grits, please?"  So, do any of y'all know if grits is singular or plural? ::)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Gus

Sinking to new lows on the Forum eh Tom 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Haytrader

I tell ya, I had to much to drink one time..... ;)
and chewed on some cardboard........
And one time I et some grits.......

And to tell ya the truth
I couldn't tell the difference.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Tom

Grandmamma told me Grits is plural.  

Would you like some of these grits or have a bowl of grits or pass those grits although Pass the grits works. You don't say "grits is good" you say "grits are good"  ........and you don't say gritses either.   :-/   If you say grits aren't good, then you  might not get anything to eat. :D.

I love-em.  

DanG

Percy, Percy, Percy!  I gave ya the recipe on the first page of this thread.  I splained what grits was a while back, and I would suggest that you do a search on "grits" if you wanted to know what they was. BUT, if ya did a search on "grits" you would be readin' for 2 cottonpickin' weeks! I'll splain again:

Back when folks used to take their shelled corn to the grist mill to have it made into cornmeal, a certain portion of the corn escaped from the stone before it was fully ground. This coarsely ground residue was discarded, until the poor folks found out about it. They would ask for it at the grist mill, and the miller would gladly give it to them, much like you would your sawdust, as it was considered useless. The poor folk would soak it a while, sometimes in lye water(that made "hominy grits") boil it till it was tender and smooth, and grits became a staple in their diet. It wasn't long before grits spread to the not so poor folks, and became an important food all over the South.
In short, grits is just coarsely ground pure corn. I'm really surprised that you folks out there in the "corn belt" ain't figgered it out, yet.
I'm still wonderin' just what you did to them pore grits to make'm taste like DIRT. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Percy

QuoteBeans! Yep, they're good for the heart, or sumpthin like that. :D

Do yer grits in a crockpot if ya ain't real experienced at cookin' them.  Measure out 3 parts water and 1 part grits. Bring the water to a boil in a regular pot, with the appropriate amount of salt. I like to toss in a tablespoon of butter at this stage, also.  Dump in the grits and bring it back to a boil, then cut it down to a simmer till it thickens up. Transfer it to the crockpot, put it on low, and fergit it for several hours. It'll come out creamy and smooth.  Try it with some mullet gizzards or red roe. HOOOOOOOEEEEEEE!!! ;D 8) 8) 8)
Hey DanG
Thankyou very much.I got the three parts water but "1 part grits" stumped me :D.....thot it was a secrit :D....now Im gonna hunt for coarse ground corn...suppose they got grist mills listed in the Terrace yellow pages?? ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!