iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are these logs worth it?

Started by tyb525, January 12, 2011, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

tyb525

That's what I figured, but I was just making sure ;) :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

rockman

I guess he ain't crazy for asking that much, but, anybody who piad that much is sure as heck CRAZY.. IMO
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

tyb525

I estimated that to be at least $2 a bf, and that's assuming they are perfect logs.

red oaks lumber

if you have a market for the wood and your return is more that what you spent after the dust settles tha n why not. had a buddy over today he goes to iowa to cut his own bow stock and sells some logs for more than what your looking at spending.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tyb525

I know what you mean red oaks. If I cut them into bowl blanks or bow blanks I could probably make several times more than what they're worth. but if I cut fence posts out of them, probably not.

CX3

apparently you guys have never priced a good bois d'ark stave

if quartered and dried properly those logs would bring much more than what hes asking.  Its hard to tell if they are high quality or not from the pics though.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

Good  staves are not sawn, they are split.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

I knew they were split, but I don't even know enough about them to split them correctly :D

Autocar

Anybody into making long bows good clear of any defects may pay that much  ;)
Bill

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

I would not be too quick to pass on them. He says asking $100. I would offer him $50 and just explain by the time you square them up you loose a lot of the wood and that is just a fact of life. He does say that he is willing to work a deal if you want larger quantities and I think that is worth looking into. Once you educate him on how much waste you will encounter in sawing them, he may become more reasonable in price and cut you a good deal.

I have done very well selling orange osage to woodworkers for bowl turning. The orange color attracts a lot of people because it is unique. Does not cut real well and has an open grain that is virtually impossible to sand smooth, but from 5 feet away it looks cool when used in a segmented bowl as an accent color.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!