iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Women in forestry

Started by doctorb, February 24, 2012, 08:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

As I scan the forestry threads, I notice that there seem to be few women in the industry. Many occupations, including my own, have historically been dominated by men.  In medicine, that's certainly changing.  Is the same true in forestry?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Phorester

Reddog

Doc, over the years I have met and worked with quite a few that are still in this field.
I also run into a few online.
I just think most don't enjoy the online woods forums like the men.  :)

Edit: I guess I need to add, you put this in ask the forester so I assumed you were talking foresters.

Texas Ranger

I know both state and private female foresters.  Maybe more, percentage wise, than some other professions. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

A rarity in my area, at least from the industrial side.  We don't get into government foresters very often.  I've only run into one that was doing log inspections for USDA.  But, I don't get out much.

I was at one mill where the women worked alongside their husbands.  You did not want to mess with these women.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Texas Ranger

We had a lady pulpwooder down here, hard to tell the difference between her and her husband.

beenthere

From the subject line, I'd assume in Forestry. ;)
Watching some of the forestry colleges (schools) it would appear about 15-20% of the class is women. That is just a guess, but up considerably from when I was in forestry in the 50's. Then maybe 1 out of 50.
Likely depends on the curriculum of the Forestry courses for a degree.

Some of the numbers of women in forestry is a direct result of Gov't agencies being told they would hire women to show that they were going along with the program of diversity. Amazing how that works on a persons rating when no's of women employed under you is on your "plan". :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I've worked with and around many women over the years in the Forest Product Industry, from green chain workers to log truck drivers to logging company owners to Industry Procurement Foresters to foresters that held division director or executive positions at the state and national level. For the most part, I think the women in the Forest Industry tend to move from the field towards administrative positions quicker them men and stay there longer.  My personal experience has been that the women in the industry is where most of the brains are kept. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

They must have the brains, I never saw a lady head sawyer, except on the privet mills. ::) 8) :D

Texas Ranger

I graduated in 1962, there had not been a woman in the forestry school up to that time, to my knowledge.  Now, as beenthere has said, they are some where around 25% of most classes.  Big difference now is, at my old school, MU, it is an environmental school, rather than just forestry.

chain

Our Missouri State Forester is a woman, my resource forester is also, and I've have met several others[women] connected to forestry, i.e. tree diseases, naturalists, etc.

Texas Ranger

chain

Don't know  but State Forester is Lisa Allen.

Texas Ranger

I got my degree and went into the service, came back and tried to get a job with Conservation in Mo.  No deal.  For the next 10 years are so I kept  trying to find a way of getting back into Missouri and the service.

Did not know Ms Allen

Phorester

She probably wasn't born back then...... ;D

Texas Ranger

Ron Wenrich

The first gal to graduate from Penn State in forestry was in 1972.  I believe she works for the state.  The problem most folks had at graduation was finding a job in forestry.  Back in the early '70s, you needed a master's degree and veterans points to get a technician's job with the state.  Most of the staff foresters were hired in the early to mid '70s right out of college and have stayed on staff. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Yes, there are now many women in forestry and related fields. They work in Federal, State, and Private positions, they are firefighters, smokejumpers,etc. Many now have high ranking administrative positions.

I've worked with many over the years. I just signed a timber sale contract a couple days ago with one representing a large sawmill.
~Ron

WDH

I have worked with a number of female Foresters over the years.  My wife is a Forester by education.  My oldest daughter is a Forester.  I guess it runs in the family.  Anyway, they are not uncommon, but the men have a pretty big majority, still.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I met a girl skidder operator once. She worked with her daddy, and she got to drive the best skidder.  ;D  She seemed to be the type to keep on working with no complaints, which is a lot better than a lot of men I know.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

Don't see any cut'n brush. Been look'n. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

A woman will excell at anything she puts her mind to,just their too smart to do alot of the bull work we do. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ryan D

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 25, 2012, 07:40:41 AM
Don't see any cut'n brush. Been look'n. ;D

I worked doing PCT with a lady last year here in NS. I haven't been in the industry all that long but she was the best I have seen so far with a spacing saw. None of the guys on the crew could keep up.

SwampDonkey

Some of the men spend too much time blat'n and not enough blade spin'n. I've worked near two or three fellas the last few years there were always out at the truck. When you stopped to fill up and file, the truck doors out at the road where slam'n. And probably out there at least 20 minutes because I get 20-30 mins. more on a tank than most. Five tanks through my saw would be over 8 hours cut'n. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ryan D

We get that a lot too. The one i don't understand is the guys that work during the hottest part of the day just because they don't want to get up early. When it gets hot in the summer i like to be on the block as soon as the sun is coming up so that i can be gone before it gets too crazy hot.

Thank You Sponsors!