iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roof/Truss design for log cabin 28' X 50'

Started by calicokid, June 03, 2013, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calicokid

OK guys so I'm working on ideas for a truss/roof system for my cabin project.  Cabin will have a conventional floor.  Wall construction will be 150 year old 6"x12" red oak logs.   Floor plan will be 50% vaulted ceiling (exposed beam preferred) with the other half of the house an upstairs room or rooms.  With a span of 28' does anyone know what truss design I should use?  My first log construction and I have some framing experience. Want to keep a rustic look true to compliment the old hewn log construction. Expense is a concern..I have a bandsaw mill and can cut my on beams up to 17'...not certain of what species to cut them from.  Maybe someone on here has some advice, or some old timbers that I can purchase to build them from.  Any ideas would be appreciated....thank you

calicokid

forgot to mention I will use tin for the roof and some kind of wood ceiling, center-match or reclaimed pine planks or maybe cedar..  got to keep cost down..

calicokid

pitch will be 12/12 to maximize floor space on second floor.

jander3

I wanted simple and easy.  This ridge spanned 26 feet with a 4 foot overhang on each end.  I used a post on each gable and a center post in the cabin.  I didn't want to have to deal with rigging a truss.

beenthere

jon
How is the cabin in the north woods doing this summer?  Maybe the rain or that late May 2 snow has made getting to it a bit difficult.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thehardway

calicokid,

The best and most efficient means of spanning 28' without any other concerns, is from a historical point,  a Queenpost truss.  28' is a very reasonable span for this truss design given you have access to tie beams of appropriate size.

They make very efficient use of timber, have simple joinery and have stood the test of time.  They also work well for an attic room or loft, as the central space is unobstructed between kneewalls.

This recommendation is made without knowing any of the load considerations you have and is subject to change.

For more visual interest in the exposed vaulted ceiling area a king post truss would also work well.

If you are spanning 28' with a 12/12 pitch, you will need to have a bed extension for your mill as your rafter length will exceed 19' there are ways around this but they add complexity.  A bed extension is a much better solution and and solves the problem at its source.

A good species for tie beams is always white and yellow pine, hemlock or Douglas fir as these species excel in the weight to strength ratio department and perform well under tension.  Vertical members and rafters in a truss are a toss up, I prefer oak for strength, beauty and workability but it does add considerable weight to the assembly.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!