iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rhubarb Season!

Started by Billbob, June 14, 2014, 04:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

I just came in the house to find still warm rhubarb crisp, rhubarb cake and rhubarb/cinnamon rolls.  I must be doing something right!  I loves rhubarb!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

thecfarm

We got 2 diffeant patches. The old fashioned stuff and strawberry.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

We have been consuming a lot of it lately also. Got about 100 lbs in my garden now. Just finished off a rhubarb pie.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

Hmmm. I would really like a good feed of rhubarb.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

To send rhubarb to Canada would be about $40-50.  :o How bad do you want it??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Quote from: thecfarm on June 14, 2014, 04:49:50 PM
We got 2 diffeant patches. The old fashioned stuff and strawberry.

Rhubarb and strawberry pie is pretty darn good!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

sawguy21

Quote from: thecfarm on June 14, 2014, 09:00:33 PM
To send rhubarb to Canada would be about $40-50.  :o How bad do you want it??  :D
:D 50 bucks is a little heavy. There was a patch growing wild in my yard years ago, I kept forgetting about it when mowing the grass. I actually killed it, didn't think that was possible. DanG good rhubarb too. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

sawguy,that is one of those,If It Fits,It Ships,boxes. 11"X6"X9"

coxy

rhubarb in my book is the same as grits  steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley

tule peak timber

Find some Meyer lemons , zest them out and add to the sweetened rhubarb. The color combination  and taste is incredible.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

beenthere

As kids, we'd eat the rhubarb raw, a stalk at a time.
I prefer it in a cobbler or sauce now..  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

My Grandmother grew it and made pies.  I remember that I looked forward to it, but that is as far as my memory goes.  I have no memory of what it tasted like.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Wife made a batch of jam from the rhubarb.
I call one of my friends Granddaughter Rhubarb. She is mighty proud of that name.  :)

Mooseherder

Finding a Rhubard patch was a special treat.
Clean them up, dunk while wet in sugar and eat raw. :)

sandhills

Quote from: Magicman on June 23, 2014, 08:30:22 PM
My Grandmother grew it and made pies.  I remember that I looked forward to it, but that is as far as my memory goes.  I have no memory of what it tasted like.
It was good!  ;)  :)  Our neighbor cooks them a lot for when we're there helping work cattle and what not, she cooks like my Grandmas did  ;D.  I don't mind it raw with a little sugar but pies or cobbler are the cat's meow!

Ianab

I grow some in a little garden that Lara and I have out back.

It's good cooked up some apples and strawberries, and a little sugar. Let it cool then have it with ice cream.  :) The tartness of the rhubarb is sweetened up by the sugar and fruit.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on June 23, 2014, 08:01:21 PM
As kids, we'd eat the rhubarb raw, a stalk at a time.
I prefer it in a cobbler or sauce now..  :) :)

Heck, I still do!

Just peal off the strings and eat.

Hard for me to pass by a rhubarb patch without taking a sample.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

Now coxy why are you picken on GRITS?
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chuck White

I know it's an old post, but I couldn't find my answer.

When going into Winter (now), is it best to just fold all the remaining leaves back into the bed and cover the plants with them or is it better to pull all of the rhubarb stalks and add to the compost pile?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I always just leave mine alone here in the garden. If there is an old seed stock you could whack that off. By spring there won't be much of a trace of them old leaves.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I do the same as swampdonkey.

Chuck White

Got it composted with it's own leaves today.

Thanks for the input.

Thank You Sponsors!