iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My attempt at free hand milling

Started by ManjiSann, September 07, 2019, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Brandon -

Have you started to drive down the road yet and wonder just what the inside of trees you see in folks yards will yield?  Have you gone to a box store and looked at what they call "lumber" and dragged your poor wife over to show her all the defects and issues with said pile of junk?  

Just trying to diagnose how fast the disease is progressing.   :D

Edit:

When your wife has no issue with finding sawdust in your pants pockets on a regular basis you will know that you have surpassed the contagious stage and the disease has spread, there is no hope for a cure at that point.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 10, 2019, 09:17:50 PM
Brandon -

Have you started to drive down the road yet and wonder just what the inside of trees you see in folks yards will yield?  Have you gone to a box store and looked at what they call "lumber" and dragged your poor wife over to show her all the defects and issues with said pile of junk?  

Just trying to diagnose how fast the disease is progressing.   :D
Haha not quite but I have driven down the road and looked at trees and tried to figure out how to safely fell them so I could mill them too.
My wife already refuses to go to the box stores with me before this new interest.
If I'm suddenly wondering if I could build the bandsaw mill myself... is that an indication the disease has already progressed or is it another disease... some new form of  mad CHICKEN disease perhaps?  ;)
Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 10, 2019, 09:17:50 PM
Edit:

When your wife has no issue with finding sawdust in your pants pockets on a regular basis you will know that you have surpassed the contagious stage and the disease has spread, there is no hope for a cure at that point.  
I do my own laundry to try and prevent discovery  ;D ;D
Brandon 

SawyerTed

@Southside, yesterday it was my wife who called me over to point out the defects in the lumber in the home improvement store's stock.  She said "We make better lumber than that!"  OMG! She has a sawdust habit TOO!!! :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

That's he kiss of death right there. But you have been done for a long time now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Yup - I walk in tonight after shutting down the mill and finishing moving cows and there is a big, old, castle nut on the kitchen table - and NO I did not leave it there.  I asked my wife what was up with it and her response - "I found it in my purse, not sure what it was doing there and figured you would want it", normal thing for her to walk around with...   8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@southside, it has been stated on the forum literally without exaggeration probably over a thousand times,  "your poor wife"!!!  the zombie sawdust a-pocko-lips crisis.  @Old Greenhorn last time I ate grits, we had a 4.2 earthquake centered 2 miles from our home!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

You mean I'm not the only one hiding sawdust by doing his own laundry in secret. Had it in my sock the other day used the saw and wore the wrong boots, took my one shoe off in the house hopped on one foot out the door to shake em off out in the grass. Covered my tracks quick with a broom they went downstairs in my wash machine.

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on September 10, 2019, 10:48:25 PM
You mean I'm not the only one hiding sawdust by doing his own laundry in secret. Had it in my sock the other day used the saw and wore the wrong boots, took my one shoe off in the house hopped on one foot out the door to shake em off out in the grass. Covered my tracks quick with a broom they went downstairs in my wash machine.
Your secret is safe with me  ;D
In all honesty I am very blessed to be married to a woman that is VERY tolerant of my wide ranging and often changing interests. At first she didn't understand why I needed so many tools but after 5 years of marriage she's learned that I'm handy and I collect tools so I can help us and others and so she's very forgiving of my eccentric behavior. In return I try to be the best step dad I know how to be to my wonderful step kids and I try to make sure they learn to work hard and be responsible. I also try to make sure my wife has a reliable and good car and her side of the garage is clean so she can park in it.. my side is so full of tools and projects that a matchbox car won't fit in it  ;D
My wife keeps telling me we need a pet... wonder how she'd respond if I suggest we get CHICKENS  8) 8) 8) @doc henderson 
Brandon 

doc henderson

Maybe your wife can join the @Southside spouse support group.!!! :o :o :o :) :) :) ;)  @ManjiSann 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: doc henderson on September 10, 2019, 09:07:17 PM
oh great, he sucked you into his world.  OMG.  Brandon I told you not to stare at the thread.  i tried to be a "beak"on of hope, but you just had to "wing" it,  he always tries to egg people on, feather you like it or not!  @Southside
Doc, at least he didn't chicken out...

ManjiSann

So much fowl language in this thread...  :) :)

Brandon 

Nebraska

See there you justified your hobby, you are now going to have to build a chicken coop for this chicken project. . Your kids can join 4H and show chickens, but you need to obtain mill and process this wood so this can all happen. It can be part of a she shed out back. Everybody in the house wins, you get your stuff, plus chickens, yep win win deal there.  8)

Magicman

Not every chicken is a "chicken".

Here is our town mascot.

This guess that this Guinea Fowl is a real "city slicker" because it roams around pecking at whatever and has earned a spot in the newspaper and on T shirts. ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

I suggested moving because your city neighbors will not like the combustion engine of the mill.  If you have to stay there, then maybe get an electric mill, much quieter.  I'm switching to electric soon.  I mill inside, so exhaust fumes aren't very desirable.  Less noise is an added bonus.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ManjiSann

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 13, 2019, 01:26:32 AM
I suggested moving because your city neighbors will not like the combustion engine of the mill.  If you have to stay there, then maybe get an electric mill, much quieter.  I'm switching to electric soon.  I mill inside, so exhaust fumes aren't very desirable.  Less noise is an added bonus.
I've wondered about doing an electric motor. Do you happen to know of a single phase 220 motor that will put out enough horse power to run a bandsaw? For that matter, what is the needed HP?  I don't expect to be doing logs over 24" dia so I'll build the mill to handle 30" as a safety margin. I'll have to look up some of the FF build threads and read up.
@magicman I think I've either read or watched something about that little "chicken!"  Does it really peck at tires and deflate them?

Brandon 

doc henderson

I did a lot of projects on the patios and sidewalks of my apartments going through school.  I always had a skill saw and a router ect.  If you are renting, you may have to adapt to a dryer plug or something, and if you want to mill that wide, will pull a lot of amps, and maybe need 3 phase.  I have read a conversion from gas to electric but do not claim to be an expert so will leave that to others.  I applaud and can remember/relate to your plight.  your situation will most likely require some patience.  I was young once too! 8).  I watched my sawmill for 15 years before I got one.  Good luck with all you do, Just showing up and enthusiasm is a big part of success in life.  you can learn a lot by "making do"  and will appreciate what you attain later even MORE.  I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO.

Dakota

Hello Brandon, we're neighbors.  I live in West Valley City in the winter time.  I'm enjoying your thread.
Dave Rinker

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on September 13, 2019, 09:30:53 AM
I did a lot of projects on the patios and sidewalks of my apartments going through school.  I always had a skill saw and a router ect.  If you are renting, you may have to adapt to a dryer plug or something, and if you want to mill that wide, will pull a lot of amps, and maybe need 3 phase.  I have read a conversion from gas to electric but do not claim to be an expert so will leave that to others.  I applaud and can remember/relate to your plight.  your situation will most likely require some patience.  I was young once too! 8).  I watched my sawmill for 15 years before I got one.  Good luck with all you do, Just showing up and enthusiasm is a big part of success in like.  you can learn a lot by "making do"  and will appreciate what you attain later even.  I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO.
We own our house so the renting part isn't an issue. The 3 phase part is, unless I buy/build a converter. I'll have to look into all that building a mill will require. I'm handy with electrical (wired my basement including pulling the sub panel and have passed code inspection so I guess I know what I'm doing  ;)) and while I wouldn't classify myself as a welder I can get two pieces of metal to stick and stay together.
My biggest plight is a lack of patience  :D
I agree with learning to make do. Growing up we always had food to eat but not much more so I learned to work for what I want or do without. I think that's also where the "If I make it myself it'll be cheaper" mentality came from. While it's frustrating to have to wait for what I want or do without, I really don't have any complaints about my life. I'm very fortunate to have the skills and abilities I do. 
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: Dakota on September 13, 2019, 10:01:15 AM
Hello Brandon, we're neighbors.  I live in West Valley City in the winter time.  I'm enjoying your thread.
Hey Dakota, glad you're enjoying the thread!
I'm glad to find there's other Utah FF members, was starting to wonder if I was the only one!
Brandon

donbj

"I have apologized to my son a few times for his sad situation of being a doctors kid.  he did not have the privilege of doing without as much as most of his friend, and therefore they are better able to do for themselves.  IMHO."

I've read a lot of your contributions here on this forum and you stand out as a good man! Your son will take what you are and do with it as he chooses. It all builds a base 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

I am working today, day 3 of 4.  we have the state fair going on past 8 days, always another 10% of patients and we are very busy.  We normally have 2 PAs and one just called in sick.  It is only a 12 hours shift so will power through.  My strength and spirit is increased by the support and kind words!  thanks gents.

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on September 14, 2019, 09:32:34 AM
I am working today, day 3 of 4.  we have the state fair going on past 8 days, always another 10% of patients and we are very busy.  We normally have 2 PAs and one just called in sick.  It is only a 12 hours shift so will power through.  My strength and spirit is increased by the support and kind words!  thanks gents.
Only a 12 hour shift? I've worked 5-12's before, it's not pleasant and I just had to sit in front of a computer and think. Doc you are a superhero!

ManjiSann

Today was a bit of a bummer, several things fell through. I decided I needed some Sawdust Therapy:

Not my best free hand milling job but I felt better after being covered in sawdust  8) 8)

Brandon 

Brad_bb

@ManjiSann , All I know is Woodmizer LT15 is available in electric.  It's a 220V 10ph, single phase.  I've heard it works well, plenty of power.  I have an LT15 with a 19HP gas Kohler engine now.  The HP ratings between electric and gas aren't comparable apples to apples apparently. The 10hp electric should have as much cutting ability as my gas engine from what I've heard.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!