iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Aid Kit

Started by Dan_Shade, March 10, 2005, 10:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

What do you guys keep in your first aid kits?

I've got a small one I carry with me, but in reality, I think it wouldn't do much good in the event of a serious accident.

my main concern is a chainsaw laceration out on the road somewhere. 

What do you guys carry with you?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Texas Ranger

The normal stuff, plus lots of wrap bandages for containing a serious cut.  Antibiotic ointment, sutures (hope to never use them), across the counter meds for the various little woodsy things that happen.  Mouth to mouth mask (some of these woods hands got powerful Levi Garrett loads).  Got a set of scalpals, forceps, tweezers, hemostats, and hope to never use them.  Although I did use a scalpal once to remove a rather larger chunk of wood from my hand..  Eye wash. 

Shoot, I gotta go look and see.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

We pack the same items as Texas Ranger, which might end up being for injured livestock as much as for us.  We also keep benedryl tablets, and old sheets that have been bleached and cut into strips.  I also keep a Red Cross Res-Cue Mask for administering mouth to mouth safely if a stranger is involved.  We pack a warm wool blanket too. 
Say when

sawdust

If you have allergies an EPI-PEN is a good idea along with the Benadryl. Bring an analgesic other than ASA, Motrin is a good choice. ASA and it's kin make you bleed, if your planning a heart attack then bring the asprin. Rubber gloves, hydrogen peroxide, eyewash is an excellent idea don't confuse the peroxide with the eyewash.  :'(Steristrips are better than sutures, if your cut that bad the vet is going to want to wash you out before he sews you up. Bring pressure bandages, sterile ones. A tetanus shot every ten years is good too. Merthiolate swabs are great for small cuts and scratches and leave you a pretty pink!

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

populus

I have pretty much the same as TR, Sawdust and  Roxie. But the most important thing is in my wallet - a current  First Responder and CPR card. I think that anyone who works in the woods should have basic first aid and CPR training. It is far more important than the contents of the first aid kit, because it gives you the training to respond appropriately.

sawdust

Had to show my big first aid kit that I work in 8)
[/img]
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Texas Ranger

Oh, yeah, I just got recarded on CPR and the automatic defibulator, although I will have to be at church or somewhere with a defibulator to use one.  Best first aid training I ever had was in the military, not pretty stuff, but teach you how to keep somebody alive as long as possible, till real med help gets there.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

devo

Most of the stuff in my kit is pretty standard stuff, but definatley geared to stopping any leaks I might develop. One extra thing I have that is probably overkill, is a spare cell phone. I got one of those cheapy pay as you go types, with no minutes on it. Calls to 911 are free. Just have to make sure it goes on the charger once a week especially when cold out. I bought the phone for around $80.00, so I figured its pretty cheap insurance. Something else I will be doing now is writing down exactly where I am working (I don't move around that much). If I had had to make the call when I got my bell rung 2 weeks ago, I'm not sure I could have given precice directions to where I was. Only takes a few seconds to write down so why not? Just my thoughts.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Larry

A sanitary napkin for a blood stopper above the webbing of my hardhat along with couple other little things.  First aid kit in the truck but sometimes it is long ways off.  Cell phone in my chaps...most times I'm outa range. 

Think the sanitary napkin thing was Beentheres idea...impressed me.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Buzz-sawyer

They work well in replaceable element oil filter too ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

We've got all the stuff mentioned above in our kits both here on the farm and at work.  We had a big discussion at work, Mi DNR, about updating the kits in the shop and equipment and were told to pick out what we wanted which we did.  What arrived was a 3"X5" box with 2 bandaids and a roll of tape.  Our supervisor had made her own choice ::) >:( >:(.  We went over her head and now have what we hope we never need.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jjmk98k

Great topic.

The eyewash is a good thing to have or at least a small canteen of fresh water to use to wash out the wound or eye.  Just keep a small unopened bottle of water near your kit, usually those little bottles stay fresh for a year or little more.

even thought I am a AMATURE woodsman, I ALWAYS have a decent sized kit handy

For a First Aid kit I bought myself a small "Craftsman" tool bag ( always run on sale for $9.99) and just bought some stuff from Wally World and Pharmacy and filled it that way..... A nice small soft sided bag filled with all the listed items and a unopened 1L bottle of water. It's light enough to drag to the wood with me and I keep it near me at all times.

When back at the house, the bag is kept right next to my gear bag with my eyewear, helmet combo and other stuff... so i never forget it.
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rebocardo

Along with the stuff other people mentioned, I keep a diaper (or a napkin) and some clean socks (compression band aid) along with duct tape in my "bucket" or kit. I like the duct tape because it sticks better to wet things and easier to wrap a wound, especially on yourself while you are going into shock. Fumbling with narrow pieces of tape does not cut it.

I keep meat tenderizer for stings in my 1st aid kit  along with real aspirin and anti-histamine (sp?).

I keep nitrile gloves in my 1st aid kit and under the seat of my truck in case I have to help someone else.

I keep a hand held CB near me too. Someday I will get a relay hooked up to the truck.

Tom

Along with band-aides, bandages, tape, eye wash cup, salves, etc., one of the most important things I put in my truck as part of the kit was Alka-Seltzer.  I also backed that up with a box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda.  It'll settle your stomach, wash your hands and clean your teeth, not to mention getting the musty, sweaty smell out of the truck. :)

I have a big roll of heavy twine behind the seat that I use to tie broiken blades, hold up my pants if I break my belt, tie my hat on and use for a tourniquet if I ever have to. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all's gonna love this. We don't have no first aid kit.  :o :o :o :o

We DO keep a wetsuit handy. Makes a complete compression bandage.  ::) ::)

Guess we otter put one together, huh  ::) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Yeah!  Especially that Alka-Seltzer part if you keep eating in the  camp restaurant. :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!