iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I havent seen this before...

Started by YellowHammer, September 12, 2012, 01:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

All the hickory and pecan group are hard as nails.  I still suspect that it is a buckeye.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Still looks sweetgummery to me. They also have an odor that some could find offensive when they get to deteriorating like that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

But the only thing missing is the oddly-shaped heart-wood. Still, some sweetgums don't have it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

I am skeptical of sweetgummery.  Bark is too scaly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

The secret of sweetgummery is its ability to morph, one example to the next, so it can look like almost any other species of tree, especially when it has the leaves off. But the heartwood is a dead giveaway if you're looking at the log-- uh, usually. That species is so full of sweetgummery, that sometimes even the heartwood lies. Like those two nice logs the nice man at the log yard sold me as maple. He thought they were maple. I thought they were maple. But they're not maple. One of them was the log on my LT-40 in the Dialing in thread.

YellowHammer

I saw a fair amount of sweet gum for my woodturning customers, cut a few trees up today. Pretty sure it wasn't one, or if it was, it had turned rancid and was trying to trick me.  Buckeye is interesting because I looked it up and it does resemble the bark, and I know we have a few around here because some of my deer hunting buddies carry buckeye nuts for luck. I also know I wouldn't recongize one if it bit me.  Do buckeye trees stink or have a characteistic smell?

That's funny about the maple, same thing happened to me as a customer wanted me to pay high dollar for a few of his maples, turns out they had their leaves on and I spotted them as sweetgums.  When I pointed the leaves out to the customer he said "see, I told you they were maples..." 

I appreciate you guys helping on this.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SwampDonkey

Kinda reminds me of the evergreen yard tree. "Yeah, I have some kind of pine". Could be pine, spruce, fir, hemlock. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 29, 2012, 11:20:10 PM
Kinda reminds me of the evergreen yard tree. "Yeah, I have some kind of pine". Could be pine, spruce, fir, hemlock. :D

That line used down here, too, but can include red cedar, baldcypress, leyland cypress, spruce, arborvitae, deodar cedar, hemlock, pine, and maybe even  ::) black cherry or persimmon.  :-X

WDH

YH,

Actually, I think that buckeye does have a sour odor, but I have never sawn any.  The red buckeye around here never gets over about 4" in diameter and 20 feet tall.  The ones in your area can get real big.  I have seen some really big yellow buckeyes in the North GA mountains.

Thank You Sponsors!