iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar 7900 is impressive

Started by Old TimberCutter, February 23, 2008, 10:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old TimberCutter

Well I finally broke down and bought a 7900, after running stihl and husky for many years.

Cut three loads of pine, with some of them 40 inch plus on the stump. It run threw them like butter and seems very well balanced. It does good limbing, and the light weight felt good on the old back.

I have run bigger saws with more power, but why lug that extra weight around when this has all the power you need.

So far I really like it, but time will tell the real story . I will post again after its cut a million ft.

Old TimberCutter

Cut4fun

beenthere

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 23, 2008, 04:38:34 PM
..............., there would be alot less pigs being sold like the stihl 441, I would even take the 7900 over the 460. But that is JMO. I  :) the 7900, best saw in the 70c-79cc class IMO.

I'll accept the comment as just your opinion too.... ;D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

ladylake

Some people have trouble seeing through those orange glasses.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Old TimberCutter

My glasses are just plain and clear. My original post was'nt intended to start a dolmar is best topic. Just thought I would share My first impression and evaluation of it.

I am more than happy with my stihls 046, 064,066 but I am open to something new and the 7900 got up my curiousity enough to try one.

Started cutting with a Husky l65 a way back when and I was a die hard husky man. But in the early 90s started having a lot of problems and tryed a stihl and liked them better,but still have some huskys that I run.

I tell it like it is and the dolmar will get a real world test and by no means have a pampered life. Saying one saws better because it will cut off a stick a little faster in a controlled envirement doesn't really tell me its better.

At the end of a ten hour day cutting on a steep side a half mile from the landing the Color of the saw will be the least thing on your mind.    OldTimberCutter

Ed

I've ran a friends muffler modded 7900. Very impressive.
If I had a Dolmar dealer close I would have one.

Ed

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on February 28, 2008, 06:43:39 AM
Some people have trouble seeing through those orange glasses.   Steve

Orange and White, that is..... :)
Information collector.

logwalker

Quote from: Old TimberCutter on February 28, 2008, 07:42:45 AM

I tell it like it is and the dolmar will get a real world test and by no means have a pampered life. Saying one saws better because it will cut off a stick a little faster in a controlled envirement doesn't really tell me its better.

At the end of a ten hour day cutting on a steep side a half mile from the landing the Color of the saw will be the least thing on your mind.    OldTimberCutter

Thanks for the reality check ;)

I am getting ready to try a 6400. Will report in.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

RAS 323

I'm really impressed with my Makita 6401.  I put a 25" Stihl bar, full comp chain, and cut some 20" dia. dead dry white oak and it worked great didn't bog at all.

peter nap

Logwalker, I have the 6400 and love it. I suspect the 7900 may have some edge but the 6400 is number 1 for me. I also  have the 9010. It's nice and does the heavier stuff (Mostly in my mill) but doesn't have some of the niceties like the 6400.

logwalker

I have been breaking mine in the last couple days and it feels very good. I have been running an older Husky 268 for years and it feels like the power is similar. Balance is good with the 20" bar but I will be throwing on the 28" one of these days. How do you think it will do with the longer bar? I also plan on modding the muffler. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

peter nap

I've got a 28 on mine and it is fine. I'm using a skip tooth chain though and I suspect 28 may be stretching  it some with a standard chain.

arojay

Solos in the Bailey's catalogue look awfully Dolmar-like.  Anyone know if they are related?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

arojay

Thanks, cut4fun.  The saws sound impressive.  There is no dealer around here right now, but I would have to consider that 681.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Warbird

Okay.  I'm impressed.  I just compared the numbers on the Dolmar 7900 versus the Stihl MS-361 (which is the saw I've wanted for a long time).  The Dolmar smokes the Stihl on raw numbers.  More than 2 pounds lighter and 1.3 KW more power.

So are Dolmars as expensive as Stihls?  An MS-361 would cost me almost $700 up here. 

Cut4fun

Warbird

Hmmm.  Musta done my KG to pounds conversion incorrectly.  Thanks for the info.

inspectorwoody

A friend of mine at our WI mill swears by the 7900. Thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread!  ;D

So curiousity got the best of me and I did a dealer search. Come to find out one of the guys in the local Amish Community is a dealer.

So off I go to check it out....

I will buy one when the funds allow.  8)

I bleed Orange and White but adding a little red just might make me a bit "normal!"  :D

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Cut4fun on March 08, 2008, 12:05:48 PM
Second hand info from the Solo / Dolmar dealer.

From what I understand is that Dolmar did not design all of the 7900. Solo designed a lot of the parts for that saw. They were to be sold together in joint venture like the large Dolmar 9010.
Dolmar took all of the credit for the 7900 and Solo got the shaft.
Solo took it one step farther and made the same basic saw with a larger engine and a few improvements.    

The new Solo 681 is now here, 81cc (80.7) same basic weight as the 7900 but with some major improvements.

The 681 has a larger air filter then the 7900, that is why the air filter cover is shaped a little different.

681 also has the good Walbo carburetor not the typical cheap Zama from China like the Dolmar.

681 has the side chain tensioner in the case like a Stihl not in the side cover like Dolmar.

681 also has a large top AV spring. The Dolmar had problems with them breaking.

681 also has a better bracket set up on the AV mount to the top handle. 681 bracket is bolted to the top cover. The Dolmar has a strap that wraps around the handle and it is always turning and putting stress on the top av spring.

681 has a two year commercial warranty.

Parts for the Dolmar are a problem, you have to find a dealer.

Parts for a Solo can be ordered online from Solo at the same price they cost from the dealer.

I've been rather looking at an 80" class saw.  That 681 seems pretty impressive, and I like it that Bailey's handles them. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

GlennG

I have 2 Dolmar 5100`s  a 7900 and the odd ball 7300.  I love Domar saws. I hate the dealer network but I am a mechanic and I am also very resourceful when it comes to finding the part I need.  I do not need to rely on a dealership for service. The Domar saws by themselves are terrific. The dealer network is the polar opposite.

As a professional arborist I have had the opportunity to own and operate most every pro saw made by Sthil.  The only Sthil saw I own today is my old 066. I sold all my other Stihls when Dolmar stole my heart.

There are two things that made me fall out of love with Sthil.

#1 is the overly complex flip lever gas and oil caps. This seems like a minor nit-pick but this is a huge issue for me. Sthil If your reading, screw on gas and  oil caps work because they are idiot proof.....K.I.S.S!!! You didn`t need to reinvent the wheel when you have the best reputation in the business!

#2 is price. Other saw makers are building saws that cost lest, run smoother, are better balanced, make more power at a given weight and are just as reliable.

Sthil has a great dealer network and if I needed to rely on dealer service Sthil would be my first pick. But when it comes to just the saw,the Dolmar 3100 is a better saw than the Sthil 026/260 and the Dolmar 7900 is better than the Sthil 046/460.

The Dolmar 7900/7300/6400 are all built on the same platform. They are the same size, shape and weight. The only change is the piston and cylinder that is bolted on. The 7900 shines because it puts out gobs of power for its weight. The 7300 and 6400 while still great saws shine less than the 7900 because they put out less power but weigh just as much.

I have a lot of respect for Sthil and they really are #1 . They have been #1 for a long, long time. But there are some other great saws out there. I want Sthil to produce the best chainsaw in the world, I am willing to come back but...... in the past few years Sthil has only added gimmicks like flip-lever oil caps and tool-less chain tensioning. These are home-owner features  that I would expect on a Poulan Wild-Thing but never on a Sthil. Sthil you are better than this. Lead the market with the best product or eventually you will be in someone elses dust.

Cut 4 fun , thanks for the info on the Solo. I saw the pic in Bailey`s and saw the Domar resembleance. I want to try out that saw.

Thank You Sponsors!