iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP!! MS 362CM or MS 441CM???

Started by WoodBurner19, October 07, 2016, 08:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

My wife doesn't know yet that she's getting me a new saw for X-mas, in about a week or so,  :D

I'm struggling with getting the MS 362CM with 20" b/c or a MS 441CM with 25" b/c.  I currently have a MS 270 with a 18" b/c.  I mostly buck up firewood for myself. Biggest logs are around 40".  Any help is greatly appreciated 8)
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

The Diesel

I have a 362CM and run a 25" bar and really like it but since you have a saw with an 18" bar I would probably lean toward the 441.  Can you get a 441cm?  Most places around here dont have them in stock.  I heard Stihl stopped making them and lowered the price on the 461.  Not sure what is going on.

WoodBurner19

I went to my dealer today and they told me they stopped making the 441 but they are stocking the 461s. So I think my wife will be buying me that for Christmas  and that may be next week lol
The price of the 461 is $950 w 25" b/c.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

The Diesel

I would shop around.  My dealer has the 461 for $849 and whatever size bar/chain you want (within the recommendations by Stihl).  I always get the longest and buy a shorter one.  You could get the 461 with 32" bar for $849. 

I paid $649 for my 362CM with 25" bar.

WoodBurner19

Hey Diesel!  Where are you located?  I'm in Mid Central NJ. Stuff is generally more expensive here. But I will definitely look around. My dealer is about 5 min away, so it's extremely convenient for me. Thanks for the advice!

Greyhound

You will love the MS461.  It's definitely a big step up in power from your MS270, for cutting bigger stuff.  Many people like a 28" bar and chain on this power head.  I run a 25" 90+% of the time on mine and really like it, but I also have a 32" for when I need it.  If you really want to treat yourself to the bee's knees, see if you can get yourself a west coast model with the high-output oiler, wide clutch cover and wrap handle.  None of these is necessary, but they are nice to have.  Also, they are pretty expensive to add-on later.  Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures once you have it in hand.

WoodBurner19

Quote from: Greyhound on October 11, 2016, 08:28:32 PM
You will love the MS461.  It's definitely a big step up in power from your MS270, for cutting bigger stuff.  Many people like a 28" bar and chain on this power head.  I run a 25" 90+% of the time on mine and really like it, but I also have a 32" for when I need it.  If you really want to treat yourself to the bee's knees, see if you can get yourself a west coast model with the high-output oiler, wide clutch cover and wrap handle.  None of these is necessary, but they are nice to have.  Also, they are pretty expensive to add-on later.  Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures once you have it in hand.

I'm also thinking of just running a 20" b/c mainly. But I will also get the 25" b/c for the bigger logs to buck up. 270C w a 18" b/c. Might drop that one down to a 16". So then I'll have more options, 16"-20" and 25".  Does it sound like I'm on the right path? :).  Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.  I do wear chaps, glasses, ear plugs & ear protection.
Modify message

sandsawmill14

just be careful until you get used to the big saw power :) going from a 270 to a 461 will be like going from a vw bug to nascar :o :D :D :D you will love the power  8)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WoodBurner19

sandsawmill14

i run a 441 it does all i need it to :) but the mill i saw for has 461 and it is a heck of a saw
the kickback on the bigger saws is the worst thing to watch for because it is hard to hold the saw when it happens :) long as you keep both hands where their your supposed to be so the chain break can work your fine  ;D but i have seen alot of guys sawing with a 85-90cc saw with 1 hand ( i have done it too) we also took a guy to the er one time for 35 stitches because of doing it :(

WoodBurner19

Oh I always have 2 hands on the saw, I'm no hotdogger :D.  Thanks!

Greyhound

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on October 11, 2016, 09:46:42 PM
Quote from: Greyhound on October 11, 2016, 08:28:32 PM

I'm also thinking of just running a 20" b/c mainly. But I will also get the 25" b/c for the bigger logs to buck up. 270C w a 18" b/c. Might drop that one down to a 16". So then I'll have more options, 16"-20" and 25".  Does it sound like I'm on the right path? :).  Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.  I do wear chaps, glasses, ear plugs & ear protection.
Modify message

A 20" bar and chain is excellent on a MS461, I actually have a this as a backup setup to my standard 25" and my "big wood" 32".  It will be great for a bigger firewood saw, since you already have the MS270.  The 25 or 28" bar and chain will be a nice addition when/if you need it.  Enjoy.

khntr85

As these guys have said, you will love the ms461.... I have a 20" and a 25" bar for mine... to be honest I have the 20" on it most the time... will pull the 25" bar buried in hardwood just fine...

HolmenTree

I would suggest running a 20" on that MS461 with a 28" for backup.
But that's only from my experience as I cut more softwood here then hardwood.
Poplar here is rated as hardwood but cuts easier then spruce or pine.......

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

WoodBurner19

Solid advice from you guys! I greatly appreciate it.

WoodBurner19

Hey Guys, really quick question. I went to my Stihl dealer today & I had a conversation with the rep. I asked if the 461 had the M-tronics & it doesn't. It's the only one in the pro line that doesn't have it. Is that going to be a problem or do you think it's smart to buy it?
Pro's & con's?

sandsawmill14

that would be the #1 reason for me to buy it ;) then if it burns up i know whose fault it is ;D ;) :)

WoodBurner19

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 15, 2016, 10:17:19 PM
that would be the #1 reason for me to buy it ;) then if it burns up i know whose fault it is ;D ;) :)

Just to clarify, you would but it without the Mtronics?

sandsawmill14

yes unless i am misunderstanding the m-tronics it sets fuel mix and timing so you never have to tune the saw and i want to tune my saw the way i want it  :)  i know eventually it will get where i have no choice but i will run manual adjustment as long as i can get them :)
if i am wrong about the m-tronics someone please correct me and explain as i have never had one??? :)

Jesper Jepsen

Well the M-tronic does a lot of things.
It measure the airflow though your air filter and the fuel quality and set the air/fuel mix right but it also measure the air temperature and and that into account to give your the right air/fuel/timing setup for best performance.

It also "learns" the way you use the saw, is it long runs with full power as if your are using it for milling or is short "burst" for felling and bucking.  I notice when I go from milling with my MS 661W to felling that the saw is a little slow to speed up for the first 10 min, then it has adjusted it self to the new work and the same going to the mill the first couple of just it still on "felling mode"  I believe that you can reset the saw by running it full power a minute one or twice, that resets the computer.

WoodBurner19

Thanks Jesper for that info. Problem is the 461 doesn't have it. Would you recommend still buying a chain saw without the Mtronic?

Jesper Jepsen

When I looked into getting a big chainsaw I was not that fond of having a computer to run my engine, coming from a computer background I don't trust them that much. But a reasoned that if Sthil had put it into one of there biggest saws that get (ab)use al over the world it must work.
I would not skip a heartbeat if the model I wanted didn't have the M-tronic after all they have been running without it for decades with out problems.

The power difference between MS 461 and the MS 441 I don't think you can feel, the power difference is very small and with the one being the old engine and the other the new I hardly think there are any practical difference.  On the plus side you get lower vibrations on the MS 441 than on the MS 461 and to me thats something to go after.

WoodBurner19

I hear ya. They do not make the 441 anymore. So Im going to get the 461.

khntr85

If you guys do get the 461 let us know what you think.... I know I don't regret getting mine one bit!!!

Thank You Sponsors!