iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There's a new Stihl in the barn!

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 13, 2017, 05:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

MS261C M-Tronic. That's a mouth full.
I've only run one tank through it but I'm thinking it's a fine replacement for my old 028.

I'll post more later.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SawTroll

Surely a good replacement for an 028, regardless which version of the 261 C-M it is.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Jon, can we see a picture of its opposite side? 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Weekend_Sawyer

Darn, I red this, I ment to get a pic and I will. Just have to be tomorrow.

Jon

thecfarm

I betcha you will like it!!! Don't loan it out.  :(  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 15, 2017, 08:51:58 PM
Darn, I red this, I ment to get a pic and I will. Just have to be tomorrow.

Jon
Jon, I was just curious to see if you got the latest upgraded MS261 C-M by looking at the sprocket cover and cylinder fins.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'll get it his evening for sure!

I hope it is, they had to order it for me.

Weekend_Sawyer

HolmenTree

Beautiful !
Yep that's the newest upgraded MS261 CM . Same design series as the still yet to be introduced MS462 .
Stihl did their homework on this saw to better the now outdated Husqvarna 550XP.

I'm buying one in the spring. Will put the MS261 Tuning kit on it.

barbender

What makes the 550xp outdated? I'm just curious, I've been considering updating my 346xp and was going to go with a 550xp.
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

The 550XP has been out for quite a few years now, so yeah not as fresh as the new redesigned MS261.
Good to see Stihl is coming out with some top pro saws again. MS462 looks like another great addition.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm glad they didn't slip me some old inventory. 8)

Is the tuning kit just a spare bar and chains or is it a better setup?

Weekend_Sawyer

I found it, narrower kerf, faster cuts.

I just saw a video showing a standard vs narrow and the narrow made 3 cuts in the time it took the standard to make two. A little quick math says it's 2/6ths faster.  ;D

Is there a downside to the tuning kit? more sharpening or something?

Jon

HolmenTree

The Picco 63PS chain is chisel tooth so you'll get great cutting speed . Only downside is it may not hold an edge as well as a semi chisel chain.
But I wouldn't necessarily  say that's a downside because with the increased cutting production with time saved you can easily take a little time to touch the cutters up with a file and still be further ahead.

All the years I logged in the woods none of us guys ever used semi chisel, always chisel.
But if you want semi chisel just use the Picco 63PM. You'll still need the Picco bar and rim sprocket.

DelawhereJoe

I have asked my local dealer about that performance kit and never got a response back. He said its not even in his book and had to talk to his Stihl rep.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

It was a promotion thing here in Canada and Europe a while ago. I thought USA Stihl offered it too .I don't think it no longer available especially at the $99CDN price tag.
Just order the Picco rim sprocket Stihl#0000 642 1240
and 16" bar #3003 000 6313. There's to my knowledge a 18" and possibly a 20" Picco bar also but I don't have the #'s off hand so ask your dealer.

DelawhereJoe

Would a 3/8 standard sprocket run a 3/8 lp chain....or is that just asking for trouble ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Yeah you'd be asking for trouble, the unmatched fit would defeat the advantages of using it in thd first place.
If I'm not mistaken you can order a new MS241 or MS261 with the 3/8 Picco b/c in the US like we can in Canada.

snowstorm

i couldnt get the ps chain. guess they dont trust us with it here. dealer had the chain rim and bar. the bar was cheap. $9. said he bought a bunch of them

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowstorm on January 18, 2017, 07:39:50 AM
i couldnt get the ps chain. guess they dont trust us with it here. dealer had the chain rim and bar. the bar was cheap. $9. said he bought a bunch of them
If you mean the 3003 000 6313 bar is only $9 then that's the deal of the century.  The retail price of that bar here is  $80.
Your probably referring to the 63PS yellow chain not being available as I heard USA Stihl dealers are under alot of liability pressure to sell the 63PS3 green.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 18, 2017, 12:09:54 PM
I heard USA Stihl dealers are under alot of liability pressure to sell the 63PS3 green.

Yes, all of the brochures say that Stihl recommends low kick back chain.
When I bought my saw I asked for 2 loops of yellow chain and got them with no problems. They are full skip.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

2nd tank of fuel.

I took down a 16" white oak and cut it up for firewood.
This saw definatly performs better than my old 028, which I always said was the best medium sized saw I ever had.

Jon

Magicman

Nice Jon, I'm still babying my old 028AV.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawTroll

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 17, 2017, 03:53:50 PM
Would a 3/8 standard sprocket run a 3/8 lp chain....or is that just asking for trouble ?
It is about like using a sprocket that is worn well past its useful "life" - it simply is too small. It sort of works in most cases, but not well.
The picco sprockets are larger to compensate for the lower chassis of the picco chain, and put the rivets at the same distance from the center of the crank.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!