iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel vs gas on a wood Mizer LT 15 wide

Started by WV TreeTopper, February 05, 2020, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TreeTopper

I just sold my Norwood LM29 and ordered a wood mizer lt15 wide. I was set on getting a Diesel engine on it , but when I told them the guy  he strongly suggested that I not get the 17 hp yanmar  diesel and go with the 25 hp Koehler . He claimed the diesel was to heavy and vibrated to much for a smaller sawmill. I went ahead and got the gas and saved 2000 bucks so I got the power feed instead. Still kinda wish I woulda gotten the diesel . What's the thoughts on this? I feel the diesel woulda been fine. 

charles mann

Following. I was wanting a diesel too, to go with the rest of my equipment. Iv even though bout sourcing a small diesel to replace the 30hp kohler in my welder just to keep my fuels all the same, except for my chainsaws and weed whacker
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Mike W

Can't speak to the diesel aside from the torque ratios of course, torque is king in wide cuts, I have an LT15 wide with the 25 hp gas, it has performed great, at least to my expectations, cuts true and nice flat boards, albeit the widest I have yet to cut was a 28" dia. Tamarak and aside from a little sap fighting, cut just great.

WV TreeTopper

Yes I agree! I have two diesel trucks,2  tractors, woodchipper and being that I use diesel to lube the blade on my sawmill I felt it would workout well with a Diesel engine on the sawmill but he shot my hopes and dreams down the drain lol

WV TreeTopper

I'm glad to hear your happy with the 25 hp Koehler mike w! Makes me feel better 

Wattsranch4

Had a diesel put on the one I ordered, will pick it up when I return from overseas. Guess we will have to see on the vibration but I everything else I own is diesel. No turning back now as it's sitting in Kirbyville waiting for me to pick up

caveman

We had a 25 hp Kohler on our lt 28 and it cut very well.  The engine started and ran every time we wanted to mill and never gave us a second of trouble.  It will provide adequate power to your mill to cut flat lumber.  We used 10° and 4° blades.  The 4's would saw flat in just about anything but may have dulled a little sooner than the 10's.  The power feed is a good option to have. 
Caveman

jeepcj779

Since torque is king, and we all know it, I have to wonder why the manufacturers continue to publish HP instead of TQ as a measure of an engine's capability. I searched for a while to try and find the TQ values of the WM diesels compared to the gas engines, but I have been unable to locate them. 

offrink

I got the Koehler diesel on my LT15-wide and have never had issues with it lacking power cutting 35"-35 1/2" (can't really do 36") wide oak. I use turbo 7's and if I don't hit metal they go longer than I expected. I like the manual feed so I can feel what is going on in the log and can slow down or speed up when necessary. 

richhiway

I have the 26.5 gas on my LT 40 cuts just fine. Easy on gas. I think you would have to cut a lot for production for the diesel to pay for it self in fuel savings. Modern diesel engines are complicated and repairs and parts can be expensive. They are not the old reliable run forever mechanical engines of the old days. 

You have to take it easy cutting wide slabs in my experience. I don't think more power would help much. 
The power would come in when you could speed up production sawing cants into lumber.

The best power for mills and stationary equipment is electric. If your near a cord!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

SawyerTed

I agree with richhiway.  The gas engine is easily serviced and repaired by about any qualified small engine tech, if you can't do the repairs yourself.  I don't know if my local shop could repair the small Diesel engines like they do the gas engines.  The local shop stocks some parts and all filters for my Kohler 25 hp.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

I have a Honda motor on my sawmill. Bought back in '07. I've spent more on repairs parts than both on my diesel tractors. And the saw mill motor has way less than hours than even one tractor. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

A diesel uses about 1/2 the fuel of a similar hp gas motor plus more torque.  I have 10000 hours on my Isuzu and have saved around $14000 in fuel with at the most $300 in repairs for new glow plugs and a rear seal.  I've never had to add oil yet.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

offrink

In general the diesel, with proper service, will last much longer due the the reduced engine speed. Oil and filter life gets longer as well as the fuel. Untreated diesel lasts longer than gasoline and there is less of an issue with gumming up and ethanol issues. For me, I don't saw every week and sometimes not even every month, diesel just made more sense. 

Thank You Sponsors!