iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM electric to Gas conversion

Started by Norwiscutter, July 10, 2007, 01:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Alright, I am thinking alot about changing my mill over to a gas powerplant and making it portable. I have some rudimentary fabrication skills so the trailering issues are not a major concern to me. However, I am wondering what issues I should expect to encounter. Is is possible to run the engine as a seperate entity to the mill itself? IE start the engine seperate from the mill so that the wiring harnesses etc. would not need to be changed out. What engine options do you guys think would be appropriate? I am looking at gas motors in the 27-35 horse range.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Dave Shepard

Have you considered a small three phase genset? Quicker, probably cheaper, and definately quieter.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

Is there such a thing as a small 3ph genset? I am only familiar with the big 30+kw skid or trailer mounts. Is there room on your mill to accommodate a v-twin? You also will need a battery, fuel tank and clutch.That is a lot of added bulk and weight. Are there other systems on the mill that require AC power? You might be further ahead to replace it with a gas drive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Norwiscutter

Dave, where can I find a nice genset like that for a price that won't result in me getting divorced?  I saw the picture of the one you have in the for sale section- I would love to have something like that because the ability to rent it out for other thing might make it worth while.

Dave Shepard

That genset was purchased from a friend, so I don't have a read source for more. I personally would try to find a more modern one, as that one must weigh 5,000 pounds. A 25hp electric is rated at 18.6kw. I have seen this size genset offered fairly reasonably before. It is too bad that your type of mill is so unpopular, I can't believe WM only offered $4800 for it. I personally like electric mills, and have been trying desperately to get one for some time now.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DragonsBane

Here's one just to get you started.
http://www.generatorjoe.net/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=543&1=441&2=-1

last time I checked on the price of a 27-35 horse engine, it wasn't good. If I were you I would seriously look into the generator route. It would be quick and easy.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

LOGDOG

Is $4000.00 too much for a 30 KW with low hours? I know of a guy in Medford, WI that has one for sale. Looks like a nice unit. It's a military surplus unit ... I want to say it is a 1989 model. Medford isn't far. Let me know if you want his info. I also know where there is an axle with wheels and towing kit for sale if you need one of those.

LOGDOG

Norwiscutter

4000 is not out of line and I would be interested in looking into it.  Considering the cost of even gas motors nowadays, getting such an item might serve multiple rolls. Would I still need a breaker pannel or would I tie right into the generator?
Thanks by the way for the help guys.

Dave Shepard

You will need a breaker panel, probably already one on the genset, if not that would be the place to put it. You will also need a safety disconnect near the mill. If you switch your mill to gas, you will be taking a big drop in hp, unless you get a big one, and that will cost more than a genset, I would be willing to bet. 25 HP electric is a substantial powerplant on a bandmill. The 15hp electric on the one mill I run has more oomph than the 24 gas I run on the other mill. Mills are absolutely identical otherwise. If you do make the switch, save all the electrical goodies, as someone might want them. If I ever bought a gas/diesel mill, I would be making the switch the other way. ;)

Dave

jpgreen

I would definitely keep the electric option and go generator.  There's lots of deals on them out there.

A Cummin's powered Onan would be good. Going to gas would be like backwards engineering in my opinion.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Norwiscutter

This sounds like a good plan... if anyone has any links in mind to used generators that would fit my need, let me know. Would a 20kw gererator be too small for my application? The price ranges do not fluctuate much within the size ranges I would potentially need, but I would like to know what the minimum size would be. Any ideas on the specific things I should be looking for in such an item? IE weather enclosures and such? 

jpgreen

Here's a good place to start looking:

-Generator-

........... 8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!