iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire Extinguishers

Started by Dan_Shade, July 13, 2007, 01:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Having knowing bigger would pretty much be better, how large of a fire extinguisher would be recommended for a portable mill?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

I bought the largest one Menard's had.  Make sure it is A-B-C because you are liable to need to put out a fire with fuel, oil, and electical components in addition to wood.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dan_Shade

is it a 20lb model?

Did you mount yours to your mill?  It could probably be attached to the mast, but if the engine catches fire, how easy would it be to get the extinguisher off?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

I am not at the mill at the moment so I can't say for sure what the poundage is. 

I mounted it to the barn wall right next to the mill within easy reach when I am standing at the controls.  I have another one at the barn person entrance.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

Never had a fire, don't want one, I have LOADS of extinguisers around. Most are 40 lbers, adrenaline will take care of the weight if'in I ever need it. Some are mounted on the outside of the building (fire inside/ extinguiser inside don't make sense if you are coming form outside) I also have two BIG fuel extinguisers, dry units from a plant that went out of business. Guy at the flea market had them (trailer load of them) and as one guy walked by, he said" hey that's my name on the inspection tag from last month" here he worked for a local company that sells and services the big dry units. They have a separate charging cylinder and BIG wheels, they are 200# models, got 2 for cheap. Like I said ain't had one don't want one. Can never have too many around, especially if the insurance underwriter is coming around.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Captain

A 20# ABC is a minimum.  In the mill trailer in the summer time, I like a 20# ABC and a water can with a dash of "wet water" or Class A Foam.

Captain

Part_Timer

I have a 20# that I keep with the mill tool box when I go out on a job.  I also have one I keep in the pickup behind the seat.  Lots around the house and in the shop.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dan_Shade

will a fire extinguisher "freeze up" laying on it's side? 

Captain, what is "wet water"?

ElectricAl

When we were portable there was a 20 LB behind the seat of the pickup.
One day I was sawing at a site 100 miles from home and the fuse block caught fire.
I grabbed a screw driver out of the tool box and dropped the cover plate covering the main fuses. That let a bunch of air in to the burning fuse block. I stood up to get the fire extinguisher out of the cab of the truck, right in my way was the customer holding a cool can of DEW.

That's right, I "Did The DEW"   
10oz of Mt DEW did the job.  (customer had slurped the goodie off the top)

With the help of the handy mans secret weapon, Duct Tape, we were up and running in 20 minutes. ;)

When I called WoodMizer about the problem, they sent a new style fuse block for free.  ;D
Apparently I was not the first one to burst into flames.  :o
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Thank You Sponsors!