iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing in cold freezing weather

Started by adirondacker, November 07, 2019, 07:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondacker

This is a question for all of you in cold climates. Those of you who saw lumber with portable band saw mills.....how do you handle the water lube system in cold weather? And I'm talking minus 32F. I assume an antifreeze mix would be harmful to blades and everything else including band wheels. One 'ole boy here claims they don't use any water at all???
Would like to hear feedback on that. Thanks

Magicman

Not cold climate here but I do still saw when the temps drop below freezing.  Windshield washer fluid is the accepted/recommended antifreeze and of course the fluid's rated temperature would determine your mixing formula.  I can only get 0° here so I have to add 2-3 gallons to the tank to keep it from freezing down to our "normal" lowest temps of ~20°.  If you normally see temps below 0°, then I would use 100% WW fluid. 

RV fluid is also used but it is normally higher priced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

millwright

I saw as long as it is above zero, winter time I stay stationary . For blade lube I usually use windshield washer fluid, but use it very sparingly as it tends to freeze my dust blower at times. Saw works good when cold  once the hydraulics warm up aliitle. 

Southside

There is no profit potential to sawing in -32° weather. Band lube will be the least of your worries, broken hydraulics, frozen bearings, cracks in steel will keep you busy enough. When it got that cold we would leave equipment running 24/7 all weekend long with a hydraulic function such as a rotary bucket turning the entire time just to be able to get back to work when temps got back to zero. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

With temps below freezing or 0°, you may not saw in it, but you need to take the steps to prevent freezing. I always purge the system with straight WW fluid to protect the pump, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blderman

I briefly did some sawing in negative temps last year.  The biggest issue I had is the washer fluid would stain the wood I was cutting.  I ended up have to cut everything an inch bigger than what was needed and then mill it down in my woodshop to get rid of the stains.  It was a royal pain and I wouldn't want to do it again.  If I HAD to saw in negative temps I would figure out a way to get some kind enclosure and heat with a fresh air source. 

mart

I regularly saw in below freezing weather. I'll admit if it gets below zero I stay inside and do woodworking or reloading or house projects. I don't have to make a living at the sawmill so I have the flexibility to stay inside when it's that cold. I will say I like sawing in the winter and don't mind it down to 0-10 above.

I've use a lot of WW fluid and have never seen the staining to which you refer. I mix mine. I'll start with a 1 to 4 mix and if that starts to slush up, change to a 2 to 3 mix or even 50/50. At zero or above that always seems to keep flowing. Of course up here the WW fluid is all the -20 stuff.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

boonesyard

I've been using RV antifreeze mixed to keep it from slushing. Buy it for less than $1.90/gal by the case, works well. As soon as it gets below 0, I too shut it down and move in to the shop (got to get that sawmill shed built next year). 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Bruno of NH

I just stoped milling today because of rain.
I'm running straight -20 windshield washer fluid and mill dry as a bone ash today with no staining. 
I will mill in the winter but not below zero .
I will pick the days
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

I saw very little when it is below freezing. I sometimes add some windshield washer fluid to my lube. Lots of wood I saw, such as tulip poplar, do not need lube anyway. I remove the tank at the end of sawing session and put it in my well house where it cannot freeze and I blow out the line so it can't ice up. I make sure to lift the hydraulic arms up to the travel position so the arms don't freeze to the ground and damage any hoses.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RAYAR

For the most part, you likely won't need lube in the sub freezing temps.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Bandmill Bandit

I will saw down to about -10°C or 15°F. 
I buy pure methonal and mix my lube to the temp I need. When done I purge with air and add enough pure methanol to the lines/pump/valves to ensure no freezing issues arise. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

We are forecast to see a possible 25° edit: 19° next week....

So I purged the Lube-Mizer with pure 0° WW fluid today.

I also cleaned the ashes from the fireplace insert and loaded it with wood.  fire_smiley

blderman

Quote from: mart on November 07, 2019, 11:03:53 AM
I regularly saw in below freezing weather. I'll admit if it gets below zero I stay inside and do woodworking or reloading or house projects. I don't have to make a living at the sawmill so I have the flexibility to stay inside when it's that cold. I will say I like sawing in the winter and don't mind it down to 0-10 above.

I've use a lot of WW fluid and have never seen the staining to which you refer. I mix mine. I'll start with a 1 to 4 mix and if that starts to slush up, change to a 2 to 3 mix or even 50/50. At zero or above that always seems to keep flowing. Of course up here the WW fluid is all the -20 stuff.
What kind of WW fluid do you use.  I live in a small town in NE Oregon and the only off the shelf is blue and it definitely stains the wood.  I had to re-cut a Juniper mantle last winter as there was blue splotches all over it and wouldn't come off. 

Woodpecker52

I run diesel when it is freezing no problems.  Just added a separate tank and drip line. And yes Robert Duvall (Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore)  I Love the smell of Diesel in the morning!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

esteadle

I have a drip system on the Timber Harvester, which uses the main 3x6" tubular steel cross member as the drip tank. This member is directly in front of the engine cooler air path, and so gets heated up to engine air temperature. That warmth, and a little bit of soap in the drip water would keep the lube dripping until it hit about 0° outside air temp. 

But the truth is that you don't need it. Just saw dry when it's below freezing. 
Lube is there to save fuel, and it's not a big enough savings in $ cost to worry about mixing this and that and etc.

Southside has it right -- you'll be worrying about a whole lot of other things besides lube when its cold out. Everything shrinks in the cold, and expands when it warms up. Cold things are brittle, and break. Rubber, plastic, wet sawdust.... anything pliable at 70 will turn into so much concrete at -10. Lube will be the least of your worries.

btw.... Antifreeze is not harmful to metal to your saw blades nor any ordinary materials that sawmills are made of. Antifreeze contains anti-corrosive elements. It is meant to be in contact with metal engine parts, and also rubber hoses. it's totally compatible with your sawmill and you could certainly run it as lubricant mixed with water. it breaks down in the environment fairly readily, and in dilute quantities hasn't harmed any lumber I've ever cut when using it. 

DbltreeBelgians

Nah, ain't happening. And I even use diesel and used hydraulic oil for lube. Calling for a low of 7° tonight. Got the Heatmor cranking out the BTU's
Jake out running  smiley_horserider  in the pasture and don't seem to mind though

DWyatt

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on November 12, 2019, 10:43:51 AM
Nah, ain't happening. And I even use diesel and used hydraulic oil for lube. Calling for a low of 7° tonight. Got the Heatmor cranking out the BTU's
Jake out running  smiley_horserider  in the pasture and don't seem to mind though

4" of snow in Ohio in the first part of November is a crime. I'm getting too used to 50 degrees and rain at Christmas that we seem to have.

CCCLLC

I remember doing trick or treat (as a kid) in Ohio with snow on the ground. Up hill both ways.😆

mart

Quote from: CCCLLC on November 12, 2019, 11:10:17 AM
I remember doing trick or treat (as a kid) in Ohio with snow on the ground. Up hill both ways.😆

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Magicman

I have a "one log" Walnut job to saw tomorrow.  The forecast is for 22°, so I'm not looking forward to sawing even one log.  :-X

firefighter ontheside

I almost never use lube for hardwoods.  I haven't sawed a lot in the bitter cold, because I don't need to.  I imagine that I would continue with the no lube for hardwoods and just not saw pine or cedar when it's that cold.

When I have sawed in temps we'll below freezing, I noticed cut quality going down.  I got wavy cuts, which I assume is because I'm cutting ice.  Maybe that would be a good time to have a carbide blade.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

captain_crunch

Don't know about band mills but they make frozen wood shanks for circle ⭕️ mills assume would be same with a band 
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bandmill Bandit

I have discovered that cutting frozen logs, your lube tank needs a lube mixture that is good to at least -10° Below the outside ambient temp. 

Winter sawing is much less about cooling the blade and more about lubrication that doesn't slush up when it gets inside the cut.

The blade needs to exit the cut visibly wet enough that your glove till show a damp spot if you touch the stationary blade immediately after completing a cut.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

mart

My rule of thumb for sawing in cold weather. I step outside with a cup of coffee. If the coffee freezes so fast the ice is still warm, then it's too cold to saw:snowman:. I'll go back in and take a nap with an English Setter for a blanket.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!