iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gerald Beranek

Started by Kevin, November 10, 2002, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I had the rare opportunity to meet Gerald Beranek at the Bailey`s booth this past week and bought one of his books about logging on the west coast.
Very nice man with quite a remarkable history.

Paul_H

Kevin,
How the heck do they get up there initially.Do they drive in spikes,and climb like a mountain climber?

I used to rig backspars,for running skyline on the grapple yarder,and live skyline on the mini tower.Nothing elaborate like the old timers,we only had to go up 60' as opposed to their 150'-200'.

I know it's hard to climb a large diameter tree,you have to flip your rope just right or it will try to slide down below you.My Dad,when he highrigged,had to go up a large fir once, with with another man,and they flipped each others rope till they got up aways.Makes me wonder how they do it.

These guys up the Redwoods have guts.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Paul,
They use a combination of flip line, gaffs and rope.
You can see the canopy at the bottom of the picture, he`s a long way up!
He`s done some removals that others said were impossible.
He said it`s good to be a little nervous but you can`t be scared.

Paul_H

Bet I could be scared,it would come naturally. :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

I think he told me he used a 7' bar to top those sticks.

Tom

That adds a whole new dimension to "climbing saw", eh?

Tillaway

I saw the poster with story, it's pretty cool.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Kevin

GF_Beranek

Wow, that pic was taken some time ago.  May of 81.  The same morning Mt. St. Helens blew her top.  After I figure out how to attach images I'll add some others of that climb.  Titled "Montgomery  Woods".   However, I'm just now checking out the forestry forum.  And it took a while to find the password and login.  But I got it now.  I hope.  Always something new to learn.   Thanks Kevin

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, GF.  This is a monumental situation that we seldom see, a celebrity. :D

We get some Kiln guys that are known and a few sawyers but most of us are just your run-of-the-mill knock about citizen. Look forward to some of your stories.

Kevin

Gerald, nice to have you here and I hope we can put the squeeze on you for a story or two.
A good handle for you would be I`m The Guy  :D.
I overheard that several times inside the Expo and out in the lobby "that`s the guy".
I saw two young climbers who had your poster spread out on the floor of the lobby just outside the main doors to the exhibiters room and one of them was saying ... that`s the guy as he pointed to you hanging off that giant redwood.
One question I had was ... what did you use for a throwing line and how did you launch it into those huge trees ?

Tom,
I don`t know about the rest of you but Bib and I made the Wood-Mizer News so that`s pretty much celeb status where I come from.  :D

Tom

You're right, Kevin.  I need to update my celebrity list.  I figure we have quite a few on the board.  There are so many that have found their way here that have excelled or stood out in their field and been recognized.  Even our teachers have awards.  Christmas tree guys, web guys, locally famous sawyers, authors, inventors,  just to name a few.

Come to think of it, celebrity might not be as rare on this board as I was thinkin'.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gerald.  you will find a place amongst the rest of the celebrities here, I'm sure.  Just kinda squish in and move everybody over a seat or two  I'm sure there is room for one more.   :D :D

GF_Beranek

Thank you all for the invitation to the forestry forums.  When I get a handle on adding more input, particularly images, I'll be there to add it.  It will be an honor.   First thing with this  forum is learning how to add  images and the stories behind them.  Bound to be some mistakes in the beginning.  Optimize jpegs for the web will be the first hurdel.  I know only a little about it, but have much to share with you.  It's great.  Thank you.  Jerry B

whitepe

Welcome to the forum Gerald. It looks like you have
some interesting tales to tell.  With your publications
it looks like I'll have some unique gifts for my father-in-law
for Christmas.   8)\

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Welcome GB,

Did you ever hear of GB beer?  

Whitepe, do you suppose you and Rick and I will become celebrities with our upcoming redwood adventure?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Noble!................

are y'all going after those big logs in the pacific again?  Trying to sneak out, eh? :D

Bro. Noble

Tom,  that would be silly !

Anyway it's a secret.

Kevin, you ever cut any big redwoods on your LT15 not that Whitepe needs to know how or anything.

Perry,
we're gonna eat first aren't we?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Frank_Pender

Welcome, Gerald.  It is sure nice to have another
West Coaster in the Forestry Forum Forest.  We sure need some more Western thinking around here.   ;D 8) 8)
Frank Pender

whitepe

Noble,

Yea, We're still gonna eat.  
You're still buying aren't you?  :D

We might have to use some black powder to
get those redwood logs small enough to mill
on my LT15.  My neighbor used to do that to
get logs small enough to saw on his circle mill
but he passed away.

Any volunteers to light the fuse?

Whitepe