iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Roof Over My Saw

Started by Kevin_H., November 28, 2003, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Well I got the new digital camera figured out.

Here are a few pics of the new roof for the saw, At least it will keep the snow and ice off of it.

The building is 18' x 26' with 7' sides, this makes the middle of the roof about 12' tall.

We took two of the poles out and put in a header giving us a 15' opening to bring logs in.

These are some of the big cottonwoods we were working on today.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Kevin..youll like that open mill when its hot...did you put it back near your log yard?
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kevin_H.

Hey don,

We put it just in front of that big brick vault, I think we are going to put some more tin on the sides, we want to do it such a way that we can take off the extra during the summer.

I havent even had the mill in side yet, been too busy doing custom jobs. maybe this weekend.

Don did you get some of those snow flurries today?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Buzz-sawyer

Yea! I thought that snow was gonna get serious for a while....how is the kid doin?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frank_Pender

A cool idea, Kevin.  What did you use for a header over the 15' space?  I have to make my space at least 20', that is why the question of header material.  

Did you find it on sale some place?
Frank Pender

Kevin_H.

Don,
Stephens doing fine, Thanks for asking, we get to go to st. louis on wed so the doc can take the cast off. He's ready.

Frank,

We took out 2 of the square tubing to make the opening, the tubing is 2 1/2" so we cut a pc. of oak that was 15' long and just small enough to slide into the tubing, connecting them together, we then used angle to connect the header back to the remaining poles. over the opening we ran self taping screws though the tin and into the header about every 6"

I tried to take picture of the header but they came out too dark.

We got no break on the price, The company installed the whole thing an about 90 min. I might have been able to do it alittle cheaper myself, but I have very little time invested.

We may have to beef up the header, but we dont expect much of a load of the roof.

I like the idea that if we decied to do something different later this building can always be moved and used for something else.

WoodChucker

Kevin, thats a good idea. I've seen those for sale around here, I even talked to one of the guys that sells them. You can get just about any size you want and get higher ceilings for them to. In the spring I plan on getting one to use for air drying some lumber. Might even get a couple of them. Do you know which gauge you got? I know they come in a 14 and a 12ga. Just curious if the 14ga was strong enough? There's about a 300 dollar price difference in the two! Anyway, congrats on the new shed and keep us posted on how it works out for ya.

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Nice pics. Wish we could use a portable shed in the summer. Gets tough sawin in 100° heat and 99% humidity. Usually that means NO breeze  ::)
  Gonna be nice workin outside today. Got Wayyyy down to 55°. ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin

Deadheader, you wanna watch you don't frost your tropicals.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Nahhhh, I'll put on my winter time, Corduroy shorts. :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

They are selling those sheds in my area as car ports for $595...
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

How's it anchored to the ground?  What kind of a wind rating does it have?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kevin_H.

WoodChucker,
I bought the 14 ga. shed. It started out costing $595 for the 18 x 20 but by the time I added the extra 5' in length and made it two foot higher it was just a tad over $1000.00

To hold it down it has 4 pc of rebar about 3' long in each bottom plate, I think we are going to take those out and replace them with something longer.

They will install "mobile home" type anchors for an exta 80 bucks, with the upgraded anchors the say it is good up to 80 mph.

deadheader, have you thought about a big tent to use in the summer? Northern has some that are pretty good sized.

We put down the ties to use as a log deck.

Sawing up a big white oak. We've got to haul some logs in tomorrow, but we hope to get the lights hooked up tomorrow nite.

Fla._Deadheader

Yup, sure have. Our up-down tower is a bit higher than WM, so, we gotta do some figgerin.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bibbyman

I couple of years ago I was surfing the WWW and came up with a car port and boat dock manufacturer that also built a model just for sawmills.  

One side had a truss type header made up of light square tubing (looked like) so it didn't have posts in the middle on that side.  

I've looked for their web site since and not found it again.  Probably most any of the carport manufactures could rig something like that up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

We had talked to the carport builder about making it with the header already in place, but once you deviate from the plan the price goes way up, I will try again to get a pic of the header.

Fla._Deadheader,
we had talked about going with the tent, our thought was to sink and extra length of pole in a 5 gal bucket of cement for each of the uprights. this would add the needed height and some weight to hold it down.

Fla._Deadheader

That's some good thinkin, Kevin. When we move the mill and set up, we usually have a load in both trucks. Putting 4 buckets of concrete in with the other stuff might be a problem.We are still studyin the situation.
   First, it is ridiculed;

ScottAR

I would rethink the bucket of concrete Idea.  We had a wind storm a few weeks ago with 40mph winds and gusts to 50mph.   The next day I was driving along and saw one of these carports wrapped around a power pole.  It had buckets of concrete on all 6 legs.  I'd go with mobile home anchors on at least 4 legs.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Fla._Deadheader

We wuz discussin a tent type roof, and using the buckets. ;D Have used them screw-in, dog tether type anchors. They hold a bunch if ya get 'em in right.  We're talkin temp roof, also. ;D Still thinkin  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin_H.

Hey you could mount a tractor umbrella over the operators station so that at least the guy running the saw mill has a little shade.

pappy

Before I built a building for the mill I set us up with an umbrella, just for the sun. It surprised me to see the difference in temps.  I did not hang out there during lighting and thunder storms, that track is one big lighting rod.

A couple water line clamps and let there be shade   8)  8)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Fla._Deadheader

That's what we been doing. Problem is, with the taller tower, it hits the umbrella OR, the wind switches and blows it in yer way. We drive a bar in the ground and set the umbrella tube over it. ;D
   We even saw in the rain with it, bein REAL careful to not let the electronics feed board get wet. That's when she shifts to high gear and we REALLY get to sawin. ::) :o ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Kevin,
Looks like it will fit the bill for keeping you out of the rain and snow.  
I couldn't be so practical  ???  Got me some grandiose plans for a major barn to house the mill and kiln  ::)
Been working on it for a looooong time.  Ordered the concrete for the slab this morning.   :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

That's neat Termite. I MAY hafta install a recliner chair, like Bibby's, only, my control box is remote ::) Might get it caught in the track and have a wreck  :o ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Paul_H

Termite,
It looks like you've got a couple of willing offbearers that are ready to jump in and help.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!