iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have ya ever cooked yer own Goose?

Started by DanG, August 13, 2003, 09:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Well, I know we all have. :D  But what I'm talking about is really cooking a goose. It occurs to me that I'm getting to be an old man and I ain't never ate no goose. I've been thinking about buying one at the grocery store, but I haven't a clue how to cook it. Is it greasy like duck?  Is there anything special I have to do to make it edible, like soaking it in kerosene, or something? ???
What about wild goose?  There is only one place in Fla where goose hunting is legal, and it is only 15 miles from here. I could maybe go up there and blast one out of the sky, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.
If any of you real woodsmen have any tips for me, I'll gladly reciprocate with some first-hand knowledge on eating crow. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Domestic geese are really greasy. I mean REALLY greasy. You can bake them pretty much like a chicken. You can even use one of those roastin' bags.  Wild geese aren't as greasy. In fact I don't think wild duck or wild geese are greasy at all. I always had to put slices of bacon on them to give them a little fat.  Domestic goose is not my favorite and it's 'cause of the grease.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Pre-heat oven to 500, throw goose in and kick down the temp to 350. Slow cook it and it won't be sooo grezzzy. 8)

Goose is great if cooked right. 8)

Goose kinda tastes like chicken which kinda tastes like cat. :D

We have these burgers in the freezers and I have noooo idea what kinda meat they're made from and my son calls the goose moose burgers. :D :D

Steve

Den Socling

I've wondered the same thing about wild geese. At another thread, we've been talking about the good and bad of returning wildlife. The other day, we had 31 geese in our front yard and they stayed all day. You had to watch your step for a week afterwards.  :o

OneWithWood

Cut the goose in half length wise through the breast bone and spine.  Liberally rub the bird inside and out with olive oil.  Sprinkle with your favorite spices for fowl  Place on a hot grill with a large load of coals, body cavity down drum sticks up. Roast for 20-30 minutes per pound.  You may need to add coals once during roasting.  Mighty good eating. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Haytrader

Since you asked.......
 ;D
You may or may not have seen a previous thread where I added my 2 cents worth about my refrigerator smoker.
Never done a domestic goose but have done several Canadian geese. I pluck them so the skin holds the moisture. I use an electric hot plate for heat with hickory chips for smoke flavor. (any fruit wood works too) Cook at 200 degrees (or close) and allow an hour per pound. Peel the skin off and eat some mighty fine goose. Oh yeah, chop and onion, apple, celery, pepper or what ever ya got and throw in the cavity for a little extra flavor.
Makin me hungry just thinkin about it.
Wheres my long tom?
 :D
Haytrader

Wudman

One of the most important things is to not overcook your goose.  If you do, it will be as dry and tough as shoe leather.  

Having geese around is a nice idea, until you actually have geese around.  In areas that they congregate, you can't walk for the goose droppings and a herd of sheep won't graze a nice field of tender wheat as close.  We are getting a lot of resident Canadian geese now, and it doesn't take too long for them to wear out a welcome.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

CHARLIE

Bizidizie, I always thought chicken tasted like snake. Now I wonder if cats taste like snake too. ;D

Rochester, Minnesota has a small lake (actually 'cause of a dammed up river) in the city that never freezes 'cause the Power Company dumps it cooling water into it.  So the Canadian Geese stop there on there way south and some stay all winter. So.......in the Fall, there will be over 30,000 geese in that small area. Some of the geese stay all winter, so there is always at least over 20,000 geese there until they return to Canada in the Spring.  It's against the law to get one of those geese in the city and there are some pretty good stories of those people that got caught trying.  :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Canada goose tastes great. 8)

Oooops! Did I just say that??? ::) ::) ;D

Steve

OneWithWood

Oh, yeah, I forgot one thing.  Before you rub the bird down with olive oil, skin it.  No need to take the time to pluck it.  Just skin it out and cover with olive oil and spices before grilling it.  Haytrader has a good idea with the refer smoker thing but if all ya got is a grill you can still have some mighty fine eatin.  The meat will be plenty juicy if you pay attention. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

We plucked a canadian goose once. NEVER AGAIN!

There must be at least 3 garbage bags full of DanG feathers on one goose! 2 hours of work to pluck, 2 minutes to skin. I know what I will pick from now on.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

Charlie we had a Chinese restaurant in town that was serving cat for all it's chicken dishes. :D It really does taste like chicken. ;D The place was shut down after the food inspector caught wind of what was going down.
  From what I understand they were getting the cats from the S.P.C.A and serving them up for dinner to save money.  ::)
  I think it would be a good way of getting rid of all the un-wanted pets out there. 8)

Steve

Tom

bizie,
My sons would fish all night under the bridge on the Trout River in Jax.   They came home excited one morning.  "Daddy, Daddy, That new Cambodian resturant on the river has a pen with dogs in it out back and they are different dogs every night."

biziedizie

Tom I think these guys are smart by having low overhead but sometimes they go a little too far. :D

Many years ago I had a half share in a car lot and the land owner was from Hong Kong and he was old and he always told me that young dog and old cats were good eating. :D :D

Steve

Haytrader

Jeff,

On this goose plukin thing.
Did ya scald em first?
If ya scald em the feathers will come off easy.
We do wild turkey the same way. We have a 1/2 of a 55 gal. barrel we sit on some rocks and put old hedge fence posts under and get the propane weed burner going. Takes a while to heat the water but really knocks what ever holds the feathers.
You will know when the water is hot enough cause if it's not, the feathers won't come off easy. Oh, and cinnamon schnapps seems to help the water heat faster.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

woodmills1

Drink the scnapps and you will think the water boils faster. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CHARLIE

When I came home from hunting and was skinning out the ducks and geese in my garage, the neighbor kids would always gather around. I use to press hard on the ducks breasts and make them quack for the kids. ;D  They thought that was neat to see a dead duck quack.  Then, when my son was in 2nd grade, I cut off a goose foot and showed him how he could pull one tendon and the web foot would open and if he pulled another, the foot would close. Then I sent him to school with it to show the class during show and tell. :D My wife taught at the same school and the teacher came to her and said, "You would not believe what your husband had your son do at show and tell!"  Then 4 years later, when my daughter was in 2nd grade, I sent her to school with a duck foot for show and tell.  The teacher said to Donna, "Your husband has done it again!" ;D 8)  That was fun!    
Charlie

Bro. Noble

When I was about 5,  they had a 4-H picinic on our place (where I showed Whitepe how I could still swing out over the swimming hole on a rope). 8)  A frog came up from the river to see what was taking place and one of the big boys showed us little boys how that frog could smoke a cigarette. :o

It's nice that there are old guys like Charlie to show us kids the wonders of nature :D

By the way,  Charlie,  what color are them gooses under their feathers?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Well Noble, when raw, the skin is sorta like a plucked chicken skin but the raw meat is red. Like Jeff, I plucked one goose once and decided that skinning was the way to go. I know one thing I learned. You are wasting your shot to shoot at a passing goose and shoot at his body. They have 14,000,250,000,783 feathers on their breasts :o and shot won't penetrate.  Don't question how I know......I just do! ;D  
Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

I was really surprised at your answer---------the raw meat is red like Jeff :o

I figgered you'd say that they are black and white on the outside , but black underneath like a zebra. :D

milking and logging and sawing and milking

smwwoody

Iffin ya take dem fedders off first they aint so dry when ya goes to eat dem
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC