iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark removal prior to removing. Big deal? Little deal? No deal?

Started by Roy Beauchamp, May 04, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Beauchamp

Ok folks, I've got an big oak that a storm just took down in my neighborhood that i want to push my alaskan sawmill through this weekend. Give me the "come to Jesus" talk about debarking prior to milling.
Is it just to keep the chain from dulling as fast? Are there dangers? Does it matter? Best tool for removal?
I want to know what you know
thanks!

Upper

When I prayed about it all I heard in a deep voice was (Don't worry about it).
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

nativewolf

Quote from: Roy Beauchamp on May 04, 2017, 06:15:33 PM
Ok folks, I've got an big oak that a storm just took down in my neighborhood that i want to push my alaskan sawmill through this weekend. Give me the "come to Jesus" talk about debarking prior to milling.
Is it just to keep the chain from dulling as fast? Are there dangers? Does it matter? Best tool for removal?
I want to know what you know
thanks!

Neighborhood as in lots of homes around? Then I'd be more worried about metal than bark if it was my mill. I'd get (borrow), a metal detector from someone or ask them to come over and practice on the tree.  Bark is more an issue if the tree was dragged through the dirt.  If not dragging than it should be fairly clean. 
Liking Walnut

Dave Shepard

I would only worry about it if there is a lot of dirt or rocks in the bark. A bark spud would probably be tough going in oak bark. If you were worried about it, you could chop just enough bark away to make a path for the chain.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!