iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Todays Honey-do

Started by pineywoods, August 18, 2009, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I get my share of strange time-consuming honey-dos. Today's was defrosting a 20 cubic foot upright freezer. The door got left slightly open and it frosted up real bad. What made the job more than a little difficult, a half gallon of chocolate ice cream (on the top shelf naturally) had melted and run down through everything. I still managed to salvage 10 pounds of catfish filets  and a couple of nice steaks. Threw away a bunch of 4 year old vegies. Sometimes methinks that freezers are more trouble than they're worth. But it sure is nice to open the door and drag out a gallon bucket of blue bell ice cream...   
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

metalspinner

I feel for ya, Piney.

Our plug got bumped on the freezer without knowing it last year and all of my shrimp went bad.  of course, we were out of town for the weekend when it happened. ::)  That freezer still smells like shrimp. >:(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Coon

A couple of years ago we lost about a half a moose and about half an elk along with a big supply of veggies and fruit due to a breaker flipping off in a power surge.  Man oh man did we ever see an increase in the grocery bill.  It is amazing how much we rely on our freezer.  :o  It is a regular habit now to check on the freezer. 

** Thanks alot guys you just reminded me that it's about time to crawl into the freezer and clean it out because hunting season starts for me this Thursday.   ;D  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Hilltop366

I don't have a freezer but I was wondering if there is such a thing as a freezer alarm or auto dialer?

Woodwalker

How did you get the Blue Bell?   ???Thought it all got eaten before it got out of Texas. :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

pineywoods

Quote from: Woodwalker on August 18, 2009, 10:04:52 PM
How did you get the Blue Bell?   ???Thought it all got eaten before it got out of Texas. :D

Theres a supermarket chain thats based in east texas. they have expanded over into Louisiana and they sneak it across the state line... cone_1. Don't tell anybody....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Lanier_Lurker

Mine froze up and started leaking out on to the carport floor, so I knew something was wrong.  Got everything out that was worth saving before it got too warm - including my 5 pounds or so of catfish fillets.   :)

After transferring all that was worth saving to the two indoor freezers, I unplugged it and let it thaw and dry out for 2 days.  Bought a thermometer, plugged it back in, watched it for a few days and saw that it was holding a steady zero F, and then started moving stuff back into it.

The frozen biscuits did not survive the ordeal very well.  They thawed just enough to soften and stick together real good, and when they re-froze it basically turned into one giant biscuit.  I may have to turn them into dumplings or something.   :D

And yes, these episodes do provide a wonderful opportunity to clear out old stuff that will never be eaten anyway....

submarinesailor

Every now and then, I still hear it from the wife about how the big chest freeze died while I was out under the water.  We had a half of a cow in it and she had to climb into it to clean it out – she is only 4'9" tall. :o :o :o  Boy was she not happy I wasn't there.  And this was in Charleston, SC where the garages get just a little warm in the summer time.  Boy was I happy I wasn't there.

Bruce

LeeB

Did you ever notice that kinda stuff never happens while your at home?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I have naught for catfish fillets in my freezer  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on August 19, 2009, 08:54:01 AM
I have naught for catfish fillets in my freezer  :).
I have a sweet deal on that. Local retired guy makes duck calls and turkey calls, mostly from local exotic wood. He also fishes the ouachita river. I cut his bodoc, holly, cedar etc and he brings me 2 pound blocks of catfish fillets, no $$$ involved. Last batch he brought he commented " 4 hours ago this fish was still in the river. "  That's fresh  ;D

Sprucegum

A good neighbor had his freezer come unplugged so he called everyone to "bring whatever you like to drink and a portable barbeque grill". We cooked everything in the freezer and drank everything in sight  8) The sun was well up again befire we got 'r done  8)  8)

Onthesauk

The neighbor down the street bought a new Sears "Green" freezer about 7 months ago.  They delivered and installed it in his storage/woodshed behind the house.  Few weeks ago during a hot spell he discovered it had died and he lost everything in it, smelly mess.

Sears refuses to honor his claim.  Says that is a design feature of the "Green" freezers.  They use less energy but shut down when the outside temps reach 100 degrees.  Said he should have know that when he bought it.  Hard to imagine.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

J.Hercules

Those contents put a whole new picture on what green really looks like :o
Jim

isawlogs

Quote from: Onthesauk on August 19, 2009, 09:28:00 PM
Says that is a design feature of the "Green" freezers.  They use less energy but shut down when the outside temps reach 100 degrees. 

What the hell good is that .. a freezer that dies and is made to die if it gets hot out ...  ::)  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Lanier_Lurker

You got that right isawlogs.  That does not sound right at all.

WDH, I don't have near the poundage of catfish fillets that I used to keep in the freezer.  Between a few trips to the Altamaha and the Flint, and more routine trips to the Coosa, I once had more catfish meat than I could deal with.  Nowadays if I can catch I few channel cats off the dock out back I am doing good (assuming there is enough water).

Sadly, with this last freezer malfunction incident, I had to toss quite a bit of catfish, crappie - and amberjack from a trip down to Steinhatchee.  That bothered me.  Work just gets in the way of good meal planning.   :'(

I'm ready to semi-retire.... :(

Chico

I'm araid I would have taken some of those contents to the Sears that sold me the freezer and let it sit on the floor while I talked to the pos that sold it to me and forgot to mention that little factor  >:(
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

beenthere

I'm havin a hard time believin that Sears sells a freezer that will shut down when the air temp gets up to 100°.

Can anyone confirm that in some Sears spec sheets?

Just doesn't make sense.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lanier_Lurker

WDH

Yep, just a few miles away.  Wow, that is some fish.  Those flatheads get big!  It would take a pretty good sized freezer to handle those fillets  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Guess someone finaly has come up with a freezer that is only good for the Esquimaus/Inuit  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

nas

Quote from: isawlogs on August 21, 2009, 08:07:40 AM

Guess someone finaly has come up with a freezer that is only good for the Esquimaus/Inuit  :-\
I don't know, it does get pretty warm up there, and with this global warming who know... ::)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

isawlogs

Well it sure dont hit 100 up there .. it did though , git warm enough this summer to have mosquitoes for the first time on Ellesmere Island  .  :-\

Marcel

WDH

Just goes to show you, don't underestimate mosquitoes  :D.

pineywoods

Then there's the days when the real serious honey-do's pile up on you. Last friday was one of them days when I just wanted to crawl back in the bed and pull the covers over my head. But the bed would have probably fallen down or some such disaster. It all started when the wife comes hollering "there's water running across the kitchen floor." Sure nuff, corroded copper pipe up behind the kitchen sink where you need rubber arms to get to it. While I'm lying on my back fixin that, she goes to use the micro wave oven. It makes a loud noise and all the magic smoke pours out. Not an ordinary microwave. It's ten years old, one of them jobs built into the cabinets above the stove, built in hood for the stove. While I'm cogitatin over where in the world to find a replacement, or how much carpentry work will be required on the kitchen cabinets, the house air conditioner quit blowing air.. Toasted blower motor. It's still kinda warm here so that's gotta be fixed like now. Started out to the truck to go to town for parts, Danged if there ain't a flat tire on my tractor. Now where I live, there ain't no callin the service man to come fix things. Even if I could afford it, it might take a week. I could do without many days like that.

Thank You Sponsors!