iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Got the scaffold up and some more siding. Vertigo took over after a few hours when I was climbing down. Wasn't good. >:( Was going to shut that down anyway. HOT! Was 75F at 5:30am. Dew point was 73. Sticky is all I can say.

After that, I had a few oak logs that I needed to move to my log rack before any rain. Then I had some clean up to do around the camp. Going to chill for the rest of the day or service my mill. ;D

fishfighter

Got about 90% of the siding up as of yesterday. To finish the rest, I still need to box in the eves. Taking it easy today. Pushed myself way to much yesterday, but wanted to finish the north wall.

Once I finish those eves, I have to start on the front porch add on. Been sawing posts and beams and I still don't have enough. Fell a few trees and have them stacked to saw. That should finish my saw list as for as beams.

fishfighter

With the dry weather I been having, I thought it was time to start cleaning the camp yard. The north side, I had about 1 ac of woods that I dug up all roots and trees last fall. Had one heck of a wet winter and I couldn't do anything till now. A few hours on the backhoe and digging myself out a few time, I got things stacked and fired it off.

After working it the better part of the day, I was down to this.

More pushing and I got it down more. Then what? Rain! Still burning though. ;D

fishfighter

Still burning and still pushing.

In the woods to the right, I started clearing an area for a settlement pond. Had to dig up one big oak, roots and all. Took about three hours and I like to not get the stump out the hole. Did come out with two nice logs off that sucker. ;D Anyway, the settlement pond has to be 25'x25'x5' deep. I will be installing a treatment plant that will feed a run off barrel that will have a pump to pump it to the pond which is about 300' away.

grouch

You gonna put some goldfish or koi or similar in that pond to eat mosquitoes?

I remember talking to a guy from Louisiana ten or so years ago, complaining about the big European hornets that moved in around here. He said, "The hornets here are not too bad; you can *usually* take them out with a single shot from a .45. It's the dang mosquitoes with the inch-and-a-half drill bits that'll get you!"
Find something to do that interests you.

fishfighter

DanG skeeters will carry off a youngin. :D

fishfighter

Got the settlement pond dug. Was going to do the treatment plant, but rain. :( Forecast for the next 5 days has rain in it with chances of 70% or more. :(

My son standing in the pond. ;D

fishfighter

Finally got dry enough to install the treatment plant. Digging down 6', I had water. Once I put the tank in that was floating some, I filled one of those totes that are 300 gallons. Pumped the water from my pond. After 4 trips, it was full and resting on the bottom. ;D Took the better part of the day to get it in.

DanG heat took it toll on me today. :(

fishfighter

Been some time from my last update. Really not much done. Replaced a couple ceiling rafters that went wild. Of course they were set around the woodstove area. >:(

Today, I started laying out the front porch. It will be the full length of the front of the cabin. To keep it Cajun, the front porches are only 5' to 6' wide. So, I'm going 5'6" wide. :D

Didn't get any pictures. :( Tomorrow, I will with I hope some progress. ;D 

Magicman

Just don't get too hot my friend.   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Thanks MM. My dearest wife watches me like a hawk. She shut me down this morning around 9:30. Super hot. :(

Got the sills all set up. I still need to cut my joist to size. Before I put it all together, I will treat everything with tar and diesel mix. I will have to let it dry some for installing everything. ;D

This is a picture of the sills. Just dry fitting things, so don't mine the piers. They are not set yet.

Hope Monday I will get the piers set in place.

fishfighter

Pull everything apart and painted all fitting areas with a tar/diesel mix. I will give it a few days to dry. I did a test piece Friday and I had cut it open to see how far the mixture got sucked in. It went in a little more then a 1/4". It was fully dried this morning. I did have a little rub off which Dawn soap washed right off my hands. ;D

Was 79F at 6am this morning. :( I'm soaking wet.

Once I set the sills and floor joist, I will come back and finish treating everything. I will be using 5/4 treated decking on top. Also, the outside edge will be finish out with the same siding as the rest of the building. One will not see the blacking.

fishfighter

Got some more work done on the inside of the camp. Nothing news worthy other then I have my first tenant that moved in. ;D

I also have one that built a nest on the back porch.  Don't know what it is, but the nest is wider then 6" beam. Haven't seen them yet.

fishfighter

Got the front porch sills in place and all treated. Going to let them dry till next week then add the floor joist.

The decking will sit level with the front door. Well, a little slope downward on the outer edge. Just enough for rain to run off ;D

fishfighter

Got out early Saturday morning and installed the porch joist. Only problem is that all of them have some growth on them. :(  I will spray them today with bleach. Then I will treat them. I still have to install some cross members in between them too! I did use treated 2x6's on the outsides.

Magicman

I am following along, well almost anyway.  Don't get too hot!   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2016, 10:00:41 PM
I am following along, well almost anyway.  Don't get too hot!   smiley_sweat_drop

X2
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

fishfighter

Thanks guys. Got way over heated last Saturday morning. Knocked me for a flip for a few days. :o

I did get out and sawed a couple post for the front porch this morning. ;D

fishfighter

Been sawing up more lumber for the front porch. Just about have everything I need. So, today, I built the post brackets. Got them welded up, but still have to clean them up and prime them with some red lead paint. Was going to get that done, but T storms came early today.

The post are 6x6. These brackets are 3" wide and the plates are 4" high by 5" wide. I will be putting the post back on the saw mill and cut slots to were the brackets will slip inside the bottom of the post. Once I mount the bracket, then the post will slide down. A couple bolts will run thru the post and bracket. The lag bolts that bolt down the bracket will keep the bottom of the post from touching the bracket. There is a 3/8" lip on the bottom of the brackets that will let air flow there.

BigZ La

I'm gonna have to make my way to your area one day to see your build. I've been reading along though.

fishfighter

Quote from: BigZ La on July 14, 2016, 01:20:27 PM
I'm gonna have to make my way to your area one day to see your build. I've been reading along though.

Were you live at? Come by any time.

BigZ La

I live on the river between White Castle and Donaldsonville. I'm up your way a few times a year.

fishfighter

Got a few of the post up yesterday. Had to shut it down due to the heat. :(

This is how the bracket is set. Below them, I had installed a 4x6 treated timber in between the joist. The bracket is lag bolted down with two 3/8 lag bolts. I will be bolting thru the sides, then install some 1x6's over that once I get the decking down.

Magicman

That is quite innovative.   smiley_idea

fishfighter

Got the other post up. Then I had to resaw some beams this morning.

Once I got that done, I lay them out and went to town. Once that was done, I threw some paint to help checking.

The heat took it's toll. :( Hand to shut things down, but hope to get them in place early tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!