iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Dimensional Lumber

Started by DR Buck, March 18, 2004, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

What are the specific sizes that you would cut dimensional lumber to?  Like 2x4, do I cut them at 2x4 or at the finished size of 11/2 x 31/2?

I will be cutting 4x4s, 2x4s and 6x6's.   Any recommendations and help is appreciated.

Also,  are there after market scales available for Wood-Mizer with dimensional markings on them or should I plan on making my own scale?

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

I think it's a regional thing what to cut dimension lumber to.

We cut what the customer wants.  Our recommendation and standard practice is to cut 1" stuff on the inch minus the saw kerf.  2x stuff we cut 1-3/4" minus the saw cut.  And unless otherwise agreed to,  we cut all widths full width minus the saw cut.  Thus a 1x6 will come out a strong 7/8x5-15/16 and a 2x4 will be a strong 1-5/8x3-15/16.  The farmers tend to be OK with this as a 16d common nail will be long enough to hold going through 1-5/8 and they have pretty much a full width for extra strength.

We will custom saw full or slightly oversize at the same price.  But if we sell an order cut oversize,  we add at least a nickel per board foot.

Beams and post are cut full dimension unless the customer asks.  Sometimes they want to match "store bought" lumber sizes.

With the WM Accuset,  it's no problem to give them exactly what they want. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

I always find it best to cut what the customer wants.  If it isn't specified otherwise, I cut a 2x4 at 2x4.  I've had requests for 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 or 1 3/4 x 4 or some other combination too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Oregon_Sawyer

I always ask the customer what he is doing with the lumber.  Sometimes they say they want full dimension lumber and then you find out they are building a pole barn and will be using store bought hangers and brackets and nothing will fit.

If they are going to use it green it would need to be at 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.  If they are going to let it air dry a while then I suggest 1 5/58 x 3 5/8.  If the lumber is going to be planed I cut for stock at 1 3/4 x 3 3/4.

WM scale stick has two sides.  One of them should work for just about any size.

I made up a chart for common sizes on my computer and had it laminated and referred to it on my old WM.

I have Accuset now and I don't even look at the scale anymore.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Captain

I cut my  dimensional lumber inventory as follows:

2x4  1 3/4 by 3 1/2
2x6  1 3/4 by 5 1/2
2x8  1 3/4 by 7 1/2

etc

This makes all of my 2x4s easy to match up for headers, etc.  
Certainly when it is their logs and their choice, I cut it their way.  I also will cut custom orders.

Captain

Jacar

I have been cutting 2x4's for personal use 1 5/8 x 4.  The
1 5/8 mostly shrinks to 1 1/2, and I use the 4" to allow for any warping in the lumber, so I can rip it down to 3 1/2.  

Is that a waste of time, or is there a better way?

Jacar
Jack Watkins

VA-Sawyer

For my own use I tend to do as Jacar does. I haven't found any consistancy on what the  customers around here want, so I just ask what they want and charge for actual size cut.  Maybe that's why it's called custom sawing.  ;D
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!