iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going Rate for Mobile Sawing?

Started by MesquiteSawyer, April 26, 2014, 11:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesquiteSawyer

Hello y'all.  I was wondering what folks are charging for mobile sawing at customer's location or custom sawing at your location?  (either by the board foot or the hour)

Their are two good threads going right now on sawmill profitability and sawing for profit or hobby, but neither really addresses what folks are charging.  I am located in south central Missouri, and don't know that there is a huge market for that sort of thing here, but I am sick of seeing all of these good logs go to waste. 

I sold my mill about a year and a half ago, and am really wanting another one. 

Last week, I mulched up a 24" diameter curly red oak, and numerous large cherry and walnut trees that should have been milled, but I had nowhere to go with them. 

With that being said, I would love to find someone near me that might be willing to do a little milling on shares.

I regularly have customers tell me they have been burned by loggers, but that if I want the timber, I can have it.  Otherwise, they just pay me to mulch it or burn it.  It is a shame, and I just wondered if the money was good enough to maybe purchase another mill, and make useful lumber for these farmers and ranchers.   

Also, if anyone needs some help around their outfit and wouldn't mind my dropping in to stack lumber or help out, I am always wanting to learn from folks that have gone before.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from y'all.

Tom the Sawyer

MesquiteSawyer,

The answer to your first question (milling rates) varies widely.  There have been many threads on this topic, the search function should give you hours of reading material.  Some change by the job, location, species, etc.  Others are pretty consistent, for example: http://www.tomthesawyer.net/sawmill-fees-1.html

My fees are reasonable for my area but they might be high for your area.  I have been alert to rates in your area since I am originally from, and still have a farm and woodland in Gainesville (I haven't milled down there). 

Before considering potential rates it is important to consider actual costs of your operation.  I have a niche in that I am the only mobile, portable sawmill within about 15,000 square miles.  Probably 90% of my production is on the road so it really doesn't make sense to be concerned about rate matching with stationary mills.  It is highly unlikely that our operating expenses are the same. 

I sympathize with your concern about wasting valuable timber.  I get calls from property owners who do a search for "sawmill" and reach my website.  Some have no idea how to go about salvaging their trees - they just hate to see them wasted.  Fortunately, I am building a small network of woodworkers looking for logs and tree companies who can take trees down while preserving them for milling, etc.  I got a call last week about a walnut being removed and called a guy who had called me looking for urban timber.  They made arrangements and he was there Tuesday when the tree came down.  The tree service guys even loaded it on his trailer for him.  It's too bad they cut it off 3 feet above the ground - best part of the log.  Oh well, it doesn't always work out but when it does, logs aren't wasted and there is work for me.   smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Herb Brooks

smiley_clapping
I got to tell you Tom you have a first class web site.  Well done!

manoverboard

TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Tom the Sawyer

Thanks for the compliments.  smiley_wavy

My provider has a simple, do-it-yourself program for neophytes like me.  It may not have the latest bells and whistles but I tried to make up for that with lots of information.   smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

scsmith42

Nice website Tom and excellent presentation of your fees!  Thanks much for sharing.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dboyt

Welcome, neighbor.  You're welcome to come over and stack boards for me.  I live about 8 miles south east of Neosho.  Or it wouldn't be too far to bring the mill over to you.  I charge $1.50 per mile, and $60/hr.  Keeps me busy.  You have to remember that you have a lot of expenses besides gas, and a lot of people don't understand that.  I mill a lot of urban lumber, including logs from the 2011 Joplin tornado.

By the way, I'll be doing a milling demonstration of urban wood in Carthage on Thursday, May 8th.  It is sponsored by the Missouri Conservation Dept.

This is a great forum with lots of good advice.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Sixacresand

Excellent and informative web site, Tom.  Several Forum members have good web sites. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Herb Brooks

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on April 28, 2014, 11:16:42 PM
Thanks for the compliments.  smiley_wavy

My provider has a simple, do-it-yourself program for neophytes like me.  It may not have the latest bells and whistles but I tried to make up for that with lots of information.   smiley_thumbsup

I think the fack that it hasn't got all the fluff is what I find appealing.  Read easy and informative like a text book.  I learned alot from the videos as well.
Again well done sir.

Thank You Sponsors!