iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of Walnut tree is this?

Started by DR_Buck, July 11, 2019, 01:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Yes, I see now that I posted this in the wrong board.   ;D    Should have put it in Tree and Plant ID.   ::)

I have a 60 foot walnut tree in my yard that has more walnuts on it than we've seen since buying the property 5 1/2 years ago.   The limbs are sagging from the weight and a storm last week dropped one limb with several hundred walnuts on it.   These walnuts are not round like the black walnuts I'm familiar with.   They are more "lemon" shaped and I am not sure what type they are.   Possibly English Walnut, or even "Butternut?   They are in clusters of 2 to 6 walnuts and are 2 to 2 1/2 inches in length.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

Looks exactly like the black walnut tree I am standing under right now. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

That's what I'm seeing too.

Every year the size and quantity vary. From what I see around here, it's going to be a big year.
HM126

WDH

In the first pic, the long leaf on the left appears to have the terminal leaflet aborted, which is a diagnostic characteristic of Juglans nigra, our American Black Walnut. In this leaf pic on this website, you can see that the terminal leaflet is missing.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

If in fact your walnut leaves have the terminal leaflet aborted, it is certainly our regular ole native black walnut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Hmm, I think it's about the time to make pickled walnuts or nochino if you want to thin em out.

Chuck White

Not Butternut, Butternut that's still in the "green" husk is very sticky!

I have 2 Black Walnut trees in my yard, one of them is a Putney, and the other one I forgot!

Don't even know which one is the Putney, but one of them drops nuts like you described, kind of shaped like a lemon, while the other one drop nuts that are more round!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

caveman

I do not see them often but it looks like a black walnut (Juglans nigra) to me.
Caveman

Southside

Quote from: btulloh on July 11, 2019, 04:45:50 PM

Every year the size and quantity vary. From what I see around here, it's going to be a big year.
Yes it has been.  Got them dropping all over the place.  @Poquo was nearly attacked by a couple last week.  Thump, thump, thump.... :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Quote from: Southside on October 03, 2019, 10:16:57 PM

Yes it has been.  Got them dropping all over the place.  @Poquo was nearly attacked by a couple last week.  Thump, thump, thump.... :D
Interesting. My walnut production is way down this year. Same with acorns, hickory nuts, persimmons, pears, apples, and chestnuts. 
HM126

Poquo

I was planning boards in Jim's greenhouse and the walnuts were flying horizontally  as if propelled by some force .
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Southside

Quote from: btulloh on October 03, 2019, 10:26:44 PM
Quote from: Southside on October 03, 2019, 10:16:57 PM

Yes it has been.  Got them dropping all over the place.  @Poquo was nearly attacked by a couple last week.  Thump, thump, thump.... :D
Interesting. My walnut production is way down this year. Same with acorns, hickory nuts, persimmons, pears, apples, and chestnuts.
Acorns and Hickory nuts are everywhere, found one pear, and no persimmon at all, few plumb, but we had a late frost after they had all flowered so not really a surprise there.  I do have several dogwood with berries this year.
Gladly trade you some walnuts for some chestnuts.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Poquo on October 03, 2019, 10:38:29 PM
I was planning boards in Jim's greenhouse and the walnuts were flying horizontally  as if propelled by some force .
Coriolis Effect....... ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Quote from: Southside on October 03, 2019, 11:55:33 PMGladly trade you some walnuts for some chestnuts.  

There should be some chestnuts still laying around.  I'll put some chestnuts aside for you.  These are chinese chestnuts, btw.  I do have enough walnuts, just not a big year.

You may want to contact the American Chestnut Foundation and get some of their seeds.  Looks like the only way to get seeds is to join.  https://www.acf.org/store/seed-level-membership/

HM126

btulloh

@Southside - too late for chestnuts. Nothing but empty husks left. Next year -
HM126

Southside

Ok - thanks, I did get the Redbuds, by the way.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Quote from: btulloh on October 04, 2019, 09:37:16 PM
@Southside - too late for chestnuts. Nothing but empty husks left. Next year -
We've got a ton of them, most still on the tree.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!