iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help me identify this tree branch

Started by fishyman8, November 27, 2019, 11:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishyman8

Hey,
I was hiking in Rhode Island and found this interesting branch. It's a deciduous tree so the leaves have already fallen off. The best I can describe it is a very soft wood. Softer then pine but not sure what it is harder than. Can't really decribe the bark. Here are some pictures below. Hope they came out ok. Thanks for the help!

WDH

Cut the end flush and take a razor knife and make a clean slice on the end grain and take a close-up pic of the growth ring structure. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

The brash break (short, cross grain, no splintering) says rot, which is why its soft.

fishyman8

Quote from: WDH on November 27, 2019, 08:49:27 PM
Cut the end flush and take a razor knife and make a clean slice on the end grain and take a close-up pic of the growth ring structure.
Not sure what you mean (kind of a beginner). From what I am gathering is that you are asking about the rings of the inner wood. Not exactly sure. Could you give me an example please? 

WDH

Crosscut the end so that it is a round circle and not a jagged end.  The cut end will still be a bit rough from the saw marks.  Take a razor knife and slice/whittle clean the end so that the growth rings are easily visible and not obscured by the saw marks.  Then take a close-up pic so that we can cleanly see the growth rings on the cut end. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bluthum

If you can come up with a living twig with the tip intact you should be able to key it out. The rotten branch is a tough one.

Thank You Sponsors!