iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 250 or Echo 4510 for a new sawer

Started by JW IN VA, October 06, 2021, 01:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Looking for opinions of Echo 4510 or 490 for a new firewood cutter to learn on. I have an MS 250 they really like and he's used it and his Dad's MS 290 under very controlled conditions.
 He's ready for the next step now and they are thinking about an MS 250 for him. I also like the looks of the CS 4510 and CS4910 Echos. Both can be bought at Farm equipment dealers the same distance away so parts and service aren't any issue.
 I've had great service from my Echo trimmer as well as my Stihl saws.

sawguy21

These models are good choices for the beginner and weekend warrior. Bang for the buck the CS4910 is very hard to beat. I sense he is young possibly a teenager, make sure he learns to start and use a saw in a safe manner. OOOPSes tend to be messy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

Between a homeowner saw from the big 2 and an echo, I'd take the echo every time.

JW IN VA

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 06, 2021, 02:49:37 PM
These models are good choices for the beginner and weekend warrior. Bang for the buck the CS4910 is very hard to beat. I sense he is young possibly a teenager, make sure he learns to start and use a saw in a safe manner. OOOPSes tend to be messy.
You're right. On both accounts.
He's sawed some under very controlled situations. Cutting up limbs on the ground while being supervised.
He's very careful and does a good job with it. He's like that with everything he does.
 Not ready for the tougher cutting but still ready for his "own" saw.

JW IN VA

Quote from: lxskllr on October 06, 2021, 03:33:56 PM
Between a homeowner saw from the big 2 and an echo, I'd take the echo every time.
I'm leaning toward the Echo for my recommendation. However, it's their decision and money. ???
I will say that, given his Dad's preference for Stihl, that's going to be a factor. Also, since I have an MS 250 with a 18" .063 groove .325 bar, the chain inventory would be simpler. The Echo uses a .50 groove bar. Small consideration but still one. :P
We all know the MS 250 is sold as a Homeowner grade. It is, however, a surprisingly well made and strong saw for it's size and price. It isn't an MS 261, and never will be, but a great saw in it's place. Biggest complaint I have is the air filter could have been better designed.
If the Echo is as good as the SRM 225 trimmer I bought, it will be a great saw, too.
We've got servicing dealers for both.

Thank You Sponsors!