iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Barn Doors

Started by boonesyard, August 04, 2020, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

We recently had a customer come to us with an urgent project. They're builder backed out of a black walnut barn door project for their new home. 2 sets of doors would be required at 36" x 82" to enclose the 2ea 6' x 7' openings for their bar and TV/entertainment area. They contacted me on 7/21 with the request, but the issue was it had to be done by 7/31  :o. We had the BW slabs on hand, but with 200 BF + project, straight lining and jointing, flattening/planing, glue ups and finishing to do, I said no way(at first). With a full time day job and we were waiting for our new planer, I said it just can't be done. They're issue was they had large gathering for her Grandmother's 90th b-day party planned in their new home on August 2nd,,,,,, and I caved. I don't know what I was thinking, but I took the project on.

Well, with not much sleep, the new (used) planer and more coffee than a human should consume, we got it done with a day to spare. We delivered the 4 doors on 7/30 to a very appreciative couple. The finish turned out great and matched their BW bar perfectly. What I learned is, I'm too old for that kind of schedule and it will not happen again :D!

ΒΌ

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WV Sawmiller

Looks good. I trust you asked for and received a premium price for the expedited service and delivery. I think we have all made commitments like that and sometimes regretted it. Sometimes the look on the customer's face makes it worth while even if the $$ do not. 

Of course you know they are going to pass along the info to others who are going to expect the same kind of response times. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Very nicely done!  What thickness?  The look heavy.

boonesyard

The price was premium, and they were happy to pay it. I also told them I would not offer that schedule to any one again, so don't tell your friends  :D.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

I have not seen live edge barn doors before.  They look great. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Did you have all that material on hand and dried down to 6-8 percent?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

These are very nice.  I made a walnut barn door for a coworker last year.  They are striking.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

boonesyard

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 05, 2020, 08:00:03 PM
Did you have all that material on hand and dried down to 6-8 percent?
I did. I had a pretty good stack of dried BW at 8/4 and 9/4 to pick from. They wanted 1-3/8" finished thickness so I told them they'd be paying for the full stock thickness that would have to be planed down. They were pretty desperate. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!