iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cross border shipping of second hand motor

Started by Quebecnewf, June 06, 2019, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Ok here's the question . I've tried getting answers elsewhere but no luck so far.

I want to buy a second hand Kohler from a FF member . He lives in US I live in Canada.

What problems,charges ,broker fees,taxes,rules am I going to face?

Have you done this yourself?

Do you know someone who went this route ? 

Any and all info welcome 

Quebecnewf 

Mike W

Quebecnewf,

google Norther border parcel center, there are facilities all along the Northern border that allow parcels to be shipped to their location for a small fee and you cross over pick it up and head on home.  Just make sure you bring some sort of receipt to show the border guards what you paid for the item, if not over the daily limit to bring goods across you wont get hit with any duties or fees.  Some border crossings are more lenient than others, but they all want to see the sales receipt.  I personally own one of these Parcel service facilities, gas station and country store approx 1/4 mile South of the border, we typically receive a couple hundred items per day that Canadian customers shop in the US, come on down and pick them up from us.  Let me know if you have any other questions on this, sure you will find plenty available within a reasonable distance that you could reach out to and see what they are all about and what they require to have you send your item to them for you to pick up.  Best of luck to you

Quebecnewf

That's a good service but given my location in Canada ( no roads where I live ) I can't just drive down and pick it up . 

Still wondering about the duty if I did get someone to cross over and pick it up ?

Quebecnewf 

Mike W

typically they will allow $150 or so in value across without duty (again pending the personalities and the crossing itself, some more forgiving than others)  over that without spending over 24 hours out of country they will ding for duty and GST.  either way if you have someone to do it for you, will save a bunch of $$ on paying a commercial broker who charges a flat fee plus a percentage of the value of the purchased item to do it on your behalf.  other than that, not sure if you have too many more options...

hamish

Have the member fill out the appropriate customs documentation, with the correct NAICS/industry classification, for forestry or agricultural use there will be no duty, import charges etcs, just the gst or hst for your location.  What ever you do dont have it shipped ups, theres not enough lube left in Canada anymore for them.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Quebecnewf

That's the thing I know nothing about all the class and duty stuff. It's a second hand engine made I don't where in the world by Kohler.

What code or class would it be ?

Quebecnewf

Chuck White

A few years (4-5) I put a new Kohler on my sawmill, put the Onan up for sale and the buyer came down from Quebec and bought it!

He called me when he got back home and said he had no problems at all going through customs!

He explained that it was an engine for his sawmill and then said that running the sawmill is a branch of agriculture and they waved him through!

Hope this helps you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

It can be hard to get a straight answer to your particular question.There is no duty on ag or forestry equipment for personal use.I have purchased 3 pieces of equipment from Quebec .Two I picked up myself one was shipped (3 pt.Winch).No duty on any or broker fees.
For the straightest answer I would contact Brad Charby at Pickens Farm equipment in Waterloo QC.They are a forum sponsor ,Farma Forestry.They ship all over Canada and the U.S.,what direction the item is going shouldn't make a difference
QC  1-877-866-0667
toll free 1-888-529-1114
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

curved-wood

Few years ago I did exactly what Mike W said. I had bought a planer head in the US (didn't want the cheap Chinese stuff ), got it send to a depot few hundred yards from the US border, got the parcel and return immediately. The bill was done on my business so I didn't pay import taxes ( I guess it is the free trade convention ). The person at the border told me that I could register as a business and it will go faster at the border. It took only 15 minutes so it was OK. It was easy. 

Thank You Sponsors!