iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new sawmill “office”

Started by firefighter ontheside, March 10, 2019, 10:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I get emails from the MO Surplus Property program and came across a Greenlee Field Office.  I had never seen them before, but thought it would be perfect for putting out by the mill.  I can keep blades in it, tools and other supplies.  Alas, when I called about purchasing one for $500, I was told that I cannot buy one because I am not an agency.  I get the emails because of the fire department.  My search began to find one elsewhere and I just found one made by Knaack that I'm gonna get for $600.  It's a little more money, but a LOT closer to home.  I will pick it up tomorrow.  Today I plan to get an area ready for it to live.  It's 60" wide, 42" deep and about 84" tall I think.  I will be removing some casters that are on it.
I think it will be very nice to have supplies out by the mill and get them out of my garage.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

Nice find.  There is a lot of stuff you need to keep close to a sawmill.  That looks like it can be secured pretty well too.

I'd be concerned that it's a little small though.  Not knowing your future plans, it might be worth considering putting that money towards something like a "mill head shed".  A few dollars worth of tin and fasteners and you could build something that could expand into a full cover in the future.  Everyone's got their own plans and criteria, so it all depends on where you're heading down the road.  

I've got a couple hundred bucks worth of tin fasteners in this at most.  Everything else came off the mill.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Thanks btulloh, ultimately I would like to build a whole new woodworking shop and house the mill under a lean to on the side.  Lean to on other side would house lumber and tractor.  Currently my mill is set up on a slab under a metal carport that also houses my tractor.  I think eventually the carport will be used for my sons and their cars.  This "office" will just be until then.  I considered building something, but this is movable and isn't going to take my time building it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Nice. My thoughts are opposite of btulloh in I'm thinking it is a little big, mostly too tall. I could see making one about half that height that would slide in and out of my pick up to go on mobile jobs with me. Basically I would have all my sawing kit in one spot. I could see rebuilding my band storage boxes into open tops to be thinner and slide in and out like trays. Have an area for my big tool box, spare tire, jack, replacement belts in pigeon holes or in with my bands as I do now, FireEx, 12" scraper, ear muffs, ATV squirt bottle & quart bottle for bulk use, gas can, MM log turner, ax, wedges, chainsaw, leaf blower, etc. Long stuff like cant hooks, shovels, stud bar, etc could be mounted upright on the outside.

Load the box on the truck, hook up the mill and ready to go. Take it off when I get home and back ready to hook up the boat and go catch some catfish.

Thanks for sharing.

Band box under construction

Finished band box ready to go sawing

I could make these as open top trays and just slide out the hook angle I wanted and keep one for used blades.

We did a private tour with a guide in southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana, S. Africa) and he had metal angle iron rack custom fitted with spaces heavy duty SA ammo boxes about 12" square X 8" deep fit and they contained all the assorted camp ware and were labeled. He'd slide it in and out, pull out the box he needed, replace and ready for travel on some real rough roads. On top was a tray with 2 small refers one set as a reefer for cold drinks and such and the other as a freezer. It worked like a champ. I could see something like that for my sawmill stuff. The big issue would be keeping it light enough when packed for my baby JD 750 to lift. You have me thinking. I guess I better start sketching and measuring and weighing things.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Roger that.  Time is the most precious thing.  There's just never enough of it.  Your new office will be handy for lot's of things now and in the future.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Howard, my office would definitely be large for being mobile.  Your idea sounds like a great thing for a mobile sawyer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Yes and even more important is if you have a standard kit and keep it filled and ready to use you don't forget some usually, insignificant but sometimes critical part and shut you down or embarrass yourself at a client site and have to drive a long way back to get it or buy another in the area on those rare cases one is even available.

It took me a while to learn and realize why the military was so anal about standardization but when the time came I saw why. I watched a platoon/company commander do a quick shakedown of his team who were called out on a rapid deployment mission. He could take one quick glance at a Marine and immediately see if he had all his gear. If his canteen or magazine pouch was not exactly when it was supposed to be on his web belt it stuck out like a flashing neon sign. Not critical and correctable in garrison but life threatening in combat.

Yes, you've got me thinking.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

No matter how big you build a storage or work space, as soon as it's completed - or in some cases even before then - it is never big enough....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I think this will be big enough for a while.  It's certainly better than nothing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Mike W

We had these on all our bigger job sites for the field foreman and superintendents to house the current working set of plans and approved submittal's for the current work at hand.  These were a staple for the project sites with some having a couple hundred field workers from every trade on site at once, with everyone running around with their working sets, these stations were the 'go to' location for the most current set of drawings and specs to capture any value engineered items or changes made throughout the project.  Come to think about it, I need to build one of these for the saw mill, they are a handy box to hold all the misc items needed, secured at night and the cover provides a bit of shade or rain  cover to keep your goods dry.  

Good find, you'll appreciate the addition to your operations and will find great use of it I'm sure

Mike

Stephen1

I like it. Too big for mobile sawing. I lke the idea of buiding a unit that i can fork in and out of my truck. I could leave it at my yard by the mill, and when i travel I fork it in the truck. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

We keep calling this an office which is what Mike W is actually describing but most of us are really thinking of this as a mobile shop/tool shed. My mobile office actually is highly mobile and consists of a heavy duty briefcase bought for $1.65 at a local Goodwill outlet and my LapTop computer along with a Neat mobile scanner that hooks into and is powered from my laptop. My forms, business card, hand held calculator, and paperwork including my Pro Sawyer package plus my WM Maintenance manual and my laptop & scanner will all fit in in the briefcase. The only thing I can't do in the field is print. I can download the customer an invoice/tally sheet to a thumb drive or e-mail him one later if he wants one. Most do not. I have a receipt book in the case if he wants a receipt. Most do not.

My real mobile office. The Neat scanner will scan a two page document so I have to scan larger documents and print at home or in stages if needed in the field. I bought and first used the scanner in Iraq when I would be sent to remote FOBs and such where I had no admin support. I have looked at portable printers but have found the one I want and am willing to buy yet. Besides, you never know when one may show up in a Goodwill outlet or at a Flea market or such. (Did I tell you I am thrifty/cheap)

Add-on: Stephen, I am taking measurements for a mobile sawing and tool kit/shop and think I will build it on a treated 2X12 (So the spare tire will fit underneath) I salvaged from high water at the lake. I am torn between buying plywood or using my own wood and covering it with aluminum flashing. I even thought about putting a wheelbarrow wheel on front and detachable handles (Could be 2 LogRites) to roll it around. We will see how this shakes out.
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

Indeed, I am not really using it as an office.  I took that term from the manufacturers of these boxes.  Like MikeW said, these could certainly be used as an office on a job site.  It even has a sloped writing surface inside.  I will be using it as a shed.  I put it in place this morning.  My forks sure made that almost easy and all by myself.  This thing weighs over 500 lbs.  it needs a little help to make it more water resistant.  I will put some weather seals on it and probably put some metal roofing on top.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!