iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat choker for skidding firewood

Started by Zackary, February 10, 2019, 07:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zackary

I have a Norse 350 winch that I use  on my JD 820  for skidding  firewood . I use 5/16 choker chain but sometimes when skidding smaller diameter firewood poles, - 6-8" dbh,especially if I have 2-3 poles bound with one chain, they often come loose. I thought about trying to use a cat choker to bundle them and the attach them to my winch line. Any experience/ advice greatly appreciated. Zackary

Gearbox

wrap your choker around twice and try that . I use 1/2 inch cable chokers and it works for me mostly . sometimes it takes a couple of trips to get all the smalls to the landing .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

mike_belben

Ask an arborist for a few scraps off his old climbing or bull rope.. Theyre high dollar high strength ropes and should be replaced often so theyve always got more hanks of old rope than needed.  Cut those into chokers with your favorite termination on one end and a bowline or whatever on the other.  Theyll bite small stuff like no chain or cable can.  12" on down i use rope. Never falls off. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I run 6 slides on my 450 Norse winch,the hook on the end I use too,so I can hook up 7 logs. I can see where hooking up 3 logs and having one come out would happen. What I do is hook up one small log,than I wrap the chain around the second one and have the chain behind the one that is hooked. Hard to explain,but it works. I myself would add more slides,that is why I have 6.
I also made up some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. This helps me from pulling 4 feet of chain through a keyhole.
And I just thought of something else that helps me.Hook the chains up short and winch them up as high as you can. Sometimes when I am down in a hole,the load will get slack and I loose some of my logs. Keeping the chains short and high helps that from happening.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Frozendozer

I used chain chokers on my dozer and found that wrapping more then two trees always resulted on a loss  .  If I pull from the tops I usually cut a notch so the chain can slip inside .

Old Greenhorn

I assume you are using a C Hook on your choker? I have fond the two wrap method works pretty good with a slip (C) hook. Sometimes I do a full turn on the single smallest log, that's the one that usually slips free, and then a full turn on the hitch, more if I have chain.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!