iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling limestone

Started by JSmithey, January 30, 2018, 02:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSmithey

I've got a tk 1600 that has been a great mill. Got a wild idea and ordered some 4mil diamond cable used for cutting granite. Plan to make some slight modifications and attempt to cut some limestone I'd like to use for a mantel. Anyone ever try anything like that?

mike_belben

Theres a guy in new hampshire.. Pawjer construction i think..  Goes by pawjer for paul Jr.  Anyways.. Amazing dude.  Pawjer novelty plate on his truck.

Built a huge rocksaw with cbn cable and a pair of like 10ft pulleys.  It looks like a wood bandsaw except the lift frame was made literally from a 2 post car lift.  Its unreal.  That and a bunch of other homemade machines.  The most epic to me was a sphere machine.  Makes perfect granite bowling balls.  He cuts them right out of his yard.  Built his shop inside his own quarry.   Very inspiring.  A pilgrimage to.his place is well worth it if youre in new england
Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

:P

I would think it would work as long as you can get the blade speed down and enough water on it (like a garden hose).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JSmithey

Quote from: mike_belben on January 30, 2018, 02:29:14 PM
Theres a guy in new hampshire.. Pawjer construction i think..  Goes by pawjer for paul Jr.  Anyways.. Amazing dude.  Pawjer novelty plate on his truck.

Built a huge rocksaw with cbn cable and a pair of like 10ft pulleys.  It looks like a wood bandsaw except the lift frame was made literally from a 2 post car lift.  Its unreal.  That and a bunch of other homemade machines.  The most epic to me was a sphere machine.  Makes perfect granite bowling balls.  He cuts them right out of his yard.  Built his shop inside his own quarry.   Very inspiring.  A pilgrimage to.his place is well worth it if youre in new england

That's crazy, Sound like I guy I'd like to meet.  I do have a 2 post lift.. we'll see how it goes takes awhile to get the cable.

JSmithey

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 30, 2018, 02:53:59 PM
:P

I would think it would work as long as you can get the blade speed down and enough water on it (like a garden hose).

I was thinking garden hose and just creeping along.. might have to do some research on what speed is ideal for stone.

Kbeitz

I had an uncle that cut glass on a bandsaw.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

It is certainly possible. My biggest concern would be the grit that would get everywhere in your mill, which would be very abrasive, as well as the time and expense for one cut. I helped a friend build a wire saw for cutting marble. It will take a 25 ton block with ease.

A photo of a small 6.5t block that I had loaded already.

A short video of the wiresaw coming up to speed.

https://youtu.be/a5IoBQJgx8c
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sealark37

Commercial limestone slabbers use plain steel bands with no teeth to cut slabs.  You must proceed slowly, with plenty of water.      Regards, Clark

LeeB

Somewhere in the distant past I remember reading about someone sawing limestone wit a WM. It might even have been in their magazine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

Miami Oolite. I have the magazine somewhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

I get my limestone and marble from a local stone cutting guild.  I've see their big equipment, and more importantly, the incredible mess of rock dust and slurry that goes everywhere.  I'd hate to subject by mill to that, it would be like throwing a bucket of wet sand on it for a few hours. 

However, I would be interested to know if it works. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

nopoint

Curious where do you source the diamond wire? I have considered building a wire rope saw out of various farm and car parts. Would never consider subjecting my mill to that abuse.
Thanks

Stuart Caruk

Baaa, the mill is a consumable if the price for the job is right.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on February 01, 2018, 02:38:11 AM
Baaa, the mill is a consumable if the price for the job is right.

Exactly my point. If its not a high dollar job, then as you say, it's may not be worth potentially consuming a mill to do it, especially when the OP says he has a fine mill that he is very happy with.  The video clearly shows what a mess it causes.  Not saying it can't be done, only saying I would be reluctant to do it unless there was significant payoff.  Not for a mantel.

To each his own.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

Quote from: LeeB on January 31, 2018, 12:56:22 AM
Somewhere in the distant past I remember reading about someone sawing limestone wit a WM. It might even have been in their magazine.

WoodMizer News, issue 65, 2003. It was the first one I opened last night.

scsmith42

If i were you I'd have water on the blade entrance side, and another stream on the exit side to clean as much of the grit off of the band as possible before it encounters the idler wheel.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DelawhereJoe

If I had a mill and was going to try that I would remove all the metal I could from around the band wheels so it could more or less just sling the crud off instead of trapping it.....if possible.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

starmac

I used to haul a lot of rock, marble, fossilized rock and, granite and limestone to and from machine shops that made everything you could think of. At least some of it has a pretty good payoff, but there is more to it than just cutting a slab.
I hauled one prefabbed rock doorway that had an arch to it to a house. The bill for the rock for that one house  interior doorway was 26,000 bucks.

I think you could probably cut limestone with a regular band,  it is not that hard as far as rocks go. I used to build lots of planters and some other stuff with sandstone, which is a little softer, but not a lot and I cut lots of it with a skillsaw.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

JSmithey

Quote from: nopoint on January 31, 2018, 09:35:23 PM
Curious where do you source the diamond wire? I have considered building a wire rope saw out of various farm and car parts. Would never consider subjecting my mill to that abuse.
Thanks

Amazon 10 meters of 4mmfor 299. They also have 11mm for 249 for 5meters

JSmithey

Diamond wire came in I'll be trying it out before long. Not worried about the mess I'll will power wash blow off and grease everything after milling my mantle harth and a seat for my walk in shower.

DelawhereJoe

Is it already joined as a loop and if not how are you going to join it together so there is no hump at the joint ? How will you know how much tension to apply to the cable and when there it to much tension on the cable from the saw being pushed forward plus the tension from the saw itself ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

JSmithey

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on February 07, 2018, 07:35:34 PM
Is it already joined as a loop and if not how are you going to join it together so there is no hump at the joint ? How will you know how much tension to apply to the cable and when there it to much tension on the cable from the saw being pushed forward plus the tension from the saw itself ?

I bought the tool for joining it- some dies and crimps. I'm going to cut the v belts down on the drive wheels so it will ride inside the pulleys. And I also purchased some Polly pulleys to use for guide rollers.

Crusarius

I am really anxious to see how this works out.

Thank You Sponsors!