iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Failure - Two - Three

Started by Magicman, May 22, 2018, 12:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Certainly not enough.  I was faced with removing the valve cover to even access the injector pump & injectors to determine what was wrong and then the possible lost time for repairs.  My decision was to swap and go which I believe was correct since I had an engine in waiting.

I sawed 1708 bf with the 'new" engine and all was OK, just different.  I 'clawed' through several 32"-37" Red Oak logs without any issues.  It was a good engine before I switched to the turbo and it still is.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

As I have mentioned before, the only reason that I took this engine off was because I found an unused new turbo engine to put on the sawmill.

I have now added about 60 more hours to this non-turbo engine.  Yup, I had to adjust (slow) my sawing speed but keeping the sawing speed and engine RPM's in sync is part of sawing anyway.  I sawed a 31" butt log today and had 24" of saw blade in the log without any problem.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Good call having the spare engine. Most of the rest of us are glad to have spare belts and roller bearings .. :D
Glad it all worked out. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

I need to get an o2 sensor for my 38hp Kohler command. 
1760 hours on it 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stephen1

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 13, 2022, 08:32:14 PM
I need to get an o2 sensor for my 38hp Kohler command.
1760 hours on it
Whats it doing? When I thought I had an o2 sensor problem it ended up being my idle was to low. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Crossroads

Dang Lynn, that's a bummer! Glad you had a backup to get you back on the road again. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

I have no immediate plans to investigate and find the source of the noise in the Turbo engine that I removed.  I'll cross that bridge when/if I ever need to.

I immediately could tell the difference with the non-turbo engine and had to reduce my sawing speed a bit.

LeeB

What did you do with the first engine you had? I thought you had that one rebuilt. Am I remembering wrong?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

It went to Marty's Wood-Mizer shop in PA and then to Africa on a "mission" sawmill.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on May 15, 2022, 08:17:19 AMI have no immediate plans to investigate and find the source of the noise in the Turbo engine that I removed.
NEVER say NEVER.  I did not actually say "never" so I squeezed by that one.   :)

It was distressing knowing that I had a Turbo engine and was using the aspirated engine so.....Yup, I took it to the Diesel shop and got a set of new injector/pumps.  This decision was also prompted by the fact that last year I was buying my "off road" diesel from a source that was supplying some bad stuff.  Thankfully I discovered it before I ruined the injectors in the other engine.  :-X

Anyway, my Turbo engine came back home Friday and I delivered it 

and the sawmill to the shop this morning.  It will be good to have my "spare" engine as a spare and my Turbo engine doing it's job.....again.  :)

barbender

Woodmizer's engine guy told me that the 40 hp Lombardini Turbo runs strong for a 40 horse. As in, it may have more power than a comparable 40 horse diesel. It's the only one I've sawn with, so I don't know. It does cause me to not be in any rush to swap out the spare Kubota naturally aspirated 30 hp that's under the work bench.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Yes, keep that Kubota in safe keeping as a spare.  My two engines are both 1204's but there is no comparison in their available power.  Enough so that I just spent $$$ bringing the Turbo back on line. 

slider

Dang Lynn you have had a bad time,i just saw this thread. My skid steer was loosing water and had to replace the head gasket here ,it woke up with a skip. Like your engine it has 5 fuel pumps and injectors that take special tooling and someone that knows how. I found a john deer dealer that fixed it ,$7600 later i am back going . Without this machine i cant run my saw mill or do tree work so i had to eat it. $1600 of that was a new turbo and getting my temp gauge to work,already replaced the sensor on the block. i had to replace the $800 panel in the dash that fixed it. I had to .

I feel your pain my friend 
al glenn

Magicman

Actually I have only had one engine that I actually replaced.  

These other instances were done because I found this new-in-the-box 1997 Turbo engine that had sat unused for ~23 years that I substituted for the aspirated engine.  It took some time to get the injectors loosened up enough for it to even run.  Anyway, it now has 4 new injector pumps so hopefully I will never have to do another engine swap.

Thankfully I have a shop that can do an engine swap in about 4 hours    

Magicman

The engine swap was done yesterday and the sawmill is back at home.  Four hours @$90 plus tax was $385 so this decision to regain my Turbo cost ~$4500.

That plus I now have my spare engine safely tucked away if it is ever needed.

slider

al glenn

barbender

You'll really be sizzlin' now😊

Magicman

barbender

😂😂😂 The modern beggar. There was a family set up on the street near the local Walmart begging. It didn't help their cause much that everyone including the kids had a smartphone in there hand, boy times must be tough.

Magicman

Well, the "Rest of my Story went..... kerr-chunk !!!

Quote from: Magicman on October 19, 2023, 01:22:27 PMThat plus I now have my spare engine safely tucked away if it is ever needed.

The if in the above quote was certainly an understatement.  I was merrily sawing along when the engine shut down, as in immediately stopped!!

A drip of oil that had come from the front main told the story.  Not good.  I folded up and delivered the sawmill to my shop.  They would know what to do while...

I made the trip to the farm to recover my spare engine and when I got back the old engine was sitting in the engine stand.  It was not but a couple of hours later that the spare had been reinstalled on the sawmill.  Three hours shop time so the invoice was $288 for the engine swap.

So now what had happened?  I highly suspected from the oil leaking from the front seal that the crankshaft had broken.

This is a part of the engine that no one ever wants to see.

And this was in the oil pan.  The crankshaft was broken in the center.  This is a known weak link with this vintage (1997)  engine.  Matter of fact the crankshaft broke on the original engine on this sawmill and was replaced under warranty.

My spare engine was sawing fine with no problems but I got to thinking about the turbo engine not being used and made the swap.  I had just spent a truck load of $$ having the injectors replaced and the rest is history.

I have talked with Marty Parsons a couple of times during this episode to try to prevent any future engine woes.  I'll make some adjustments and hope for the best.  I have located a 4 cylinder Kubota engine but I will not do anything as long as this present engine saws.

All of my customers are very understanding so I will close the book on this year and start back sawing next year.

SawyerTed

That's tough going!  Glad you had a backup and quick turnaround too! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Andries

I'm sorry to hear of all these motor troubles Lynn. It's a marvel that you'll been able to keep your cool during this ordeal.
With that brand of diesel, I suspect there may be a Yanmar or Kubota in your future.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tacks Y

Sorry for your troubles. So when the crank broke it broke 2 main bearing caps? Never heard of that before.

Keep your chin up and enjoy Christmas.

Magicman

Quote from: tacks Y on December 20, 2023, 12:35:04 PMit broke 2 main bearing caps? Never heard of that before.
Gotta remember that it was turning about 2900 rpms when it let loose.

Andries, If I have any unfix-able engine trouble, and the Kubota engine that I have won't adapt to the frame & drive pulley, etc. I will replace it with the 38hp Kohler @ $4,000 vs the Yanmar @ $11,300.

I have about 2K hours on this spare Lombardini engine and see no reason why it will not continue on.  It is a different generation engine and non-turbo so it is not working as hard while sawing.  I can certainly tell the power difference which is why I wanted to regain the turbo, but I now know that that (Tom) will never happen. 

Actually I need to quit pushing the sawmill and myself so hard, but slowing down ain't easy. :-X

jpassardi

Sorry to hear that Lynn. The only positive is you can take a break that you have well earned.

Based on the narrow parting line, the crankshaft appears to be cast (more brittle) rather than forged.
Assuming no obvious bearing failure, the main cause could likely be a harmonic dampener issue. Crankshafts actually twist radially and lengthwise with each power stroke input. The dampener's job is to control/keep the frequencies outside of the resonant (self destruct) value.
Is that a viscous/fluid or elastomeric dampener on the front snout of the crank. I ask because elastomeric (rubber) ones can change frequency as the rubber dries out.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!