iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding logs.

Started by Patrick1128, March 07, 2019, 11:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick1128

Hello 
Just wondering where to buy good saw logs.
I just keep getting logs that were ment for firewood. I live in Maryland and can't seem to find a good source. 

Thanks 
Patrick Stein. 

moodnacreek

Most tree service people or contractors spoil any wood that could be a saw log. You can never change this. You have to find a hand cut logger who has pride or cut your own logs.

TKehl

What do you consider good and what size is your operation?  

From your other posts, I see you were looking at an LT15.

Expecting to find good clear logs from urban trees isn't likely.  But then, you can't compete with the big mills that do large volumes.  The best niche is usually instead of hiding the defects, accenting them as unique.  The firewood logs can have much more interesting grain than forest grown, but on one hand have their own challenges, but on the other hand are usually free.

I'd say practice on some that look like junk, buy a metal detector, and make plans to sell firewood from the ones that are true junk.  ;D  Often though, there are good surprises and occasionally you'll even get that nice straight log.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thumper41

Cruse the craigslist and Facebook posts for folks that are looking to buy chainsaws. Yeah most of the time its a homeowner in the city looking to take care of a nuisance tree or something. But occasionally you'll find someone thats got logs you can get or trees you can cut yourself. Found a guy like that not too long ago. He recently bought a place with around 60 acres and had been clearing his yard area when the little chainsaw he bought died on him. The nuisance trees he wanted gone? All shagwood. Now I really only deal with firewood. But now I'm wondering if I dont need to build myself a way to process these trees into something more profitable. 

Danmcc

Patrick, try to find a Residental lot clearing guy. I'm a builder and anxiously awaiting my saw mill delivery. New to the forum as well.
The clearing guy that clears individual lots for builders will drop logs where my mill location will be. Since the lots don't generate enough logs for him to take them to a mill, he normally takes them to the dump. He's more than happy to bring them to me instead of trash. You may be able to secure logs the same way. 
Call a small builder and ask him for clearing guy numbers. They are usually small and hard to find through google 

thecfarm

Danmcc, glad to have you here. 
What kind of mill you buying?
What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Do you have the means to cut trees into logs and get them home?  If so id put up an ad saying you buy trees on the stump.  Anyone who calls just make them send pics of the trees with a rake or shovel for scale before you waste a trip.  
Praise The Lord

Danmcc

Quote from: thecfarm on December 26, 2020, 05:46:01 AM
Danmcc, glad to have you here.
What kind of mill you buying?
What's all the lumber going to be used for?
The mill will be an LT 40 wide. I am a builder and plan on using lumber for my own construction business and I'll sell some too. 
I haven't yet figured out how to overcome the lumber grading that will be an issue for the local building inspections but I'll figure something out. Any ideas or thoughts on that from the forum would be greatly appreciated. 
There was a bill in the North Carolina house last year, bill 421, that would have allowed me to go to a class and get certified but that didn't get through due to covid and not being a legislative hot button. Hopefully it will get introduced again this legislative session. 
In doing my research it appears that live edge slabs are a good business as well, so I'll probably market some of those. Some of the waste, by product of milling, I'll sell some firewood bundles. 
Also in my research I'm reading a good bit on Timber Framing and I like what I see. I'll try some small projects to mill and build to see how I like it. Plus I'll be able to mill some timbers for other timber framers as well as some custom builders locally. 

smknheat

Check out on Youtube "Red Tool House".  He has a video addressing the very issue of milling and grading lumber.

Danmcc

Since my last post I found a used LT40, good condition and have been sawing and learning. I have about 1900 bf cut and a bunch of logs to process as seen in the pic below.

I had some pine and gum trees on this lot that I cut down. I'm using the gum for 4x4 stack dunnage and stickers. Cutting mostly 8/4 and getting 4/4 with the slabs.

Also I've been able to build some relationships with tree services that I've gotten some pine and oak. I meet with them before they cut them and it's worked out so far fir lengths of logs.

Danmcc

Quote from: smknheat on March 12, 2021, 09:02:52 PM
Check out on Youtube "Red Tool House".  He has a video addressing the very issue of milling and grading lumber.
Thank you, I'll check it out.
I got in touch with Southern Pine Inspection Bureau, for a price they'll visit my yard, grade and stamp the lumber. I don't have any ready yet but I'll check out red tool house first 

DonW

Quote from: Patrick1128 on March 07, 2019, 11:28:20 PM
Hello
Just wondering where to buy good saw logs.
I just keep getting logs that were ment for firewood. I live in Maryland and can't seem to find a good source.

Thanks
Patrick Stein.

Doesn't USFS, BLM and so on and so on, offer some kind of non-commercial permitting? They do for firewood cutters and I've even heard they check the lengths hauled away. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Ron Scott

Contact a local commercial logger harvesting sawlogs in your area. Let them know the volume and species that you need to negotiate prices.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!