The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Favorite summer boot socks  (Read 2043 times)

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Favorite summer boot socks
« on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »
Weird question - I know.

I realized on our first warm Saturday last weekend that my unholey supply of summer boot socks is dwindling and its time to resupply.

I also like to have designated “forestry” socks that make it into my monthly anti-tick permethrin regimen.  Looking for something with some cushioning (not too thin) for steel-toed work boots that wick moisture well but don’t get too terribly hot during the summer.

Any favorites?  I typically gravitate to Carhartt for these sorts of things but the  summer-weight version I came across on Amazon didn’t have very good reviews.  
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: Favorite summer boot socks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »
I'm following this, interested to hear the replies. MY 'problems' are usually during the winter, but if somebody has something new to me, I would like to hear it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »
Here is what I have been wearing for several years:  Caterpillar Socks/Hat

I buy the bundle from Sears for about $13.00.  (Google can beat the price in the above link).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
I wear wool year round. No particular brand, but just about any sock with >50% wool content will be high quality.

Offline AZ_builder

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
I have feet problems. Broke 6 bones in my left foot about 10 years ago and broke three toes on my right foot 5 years ago while trying to get a 1800lb bull off me. That said, my feet are sensitive now and I work on a concrete floor 12 hours a day in steel toes. About 3 years ago I won a pair of snap-on socks from my local tool truck. They were breast cancer awareness pink! Once I finally wore them, most of my foot pain has stopped!!! Since then I’ve ordered a dozen pair a year at $4-5 a pair and won’t ever wear another sock. No sweating, no foot stink, and comfortable. Fits a bit tight at first but breaks into my foot.

Offline luap

• Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
Summer, what's that? My favorite socks are Smart Wool brand. good for any outdoor cold weather activity

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
My boots and my socks are all redwing.  Yes, the big bucks both for boots and for socks.  Tax time all a write off,  happy feet.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
@AZ_builder With an endorsement like that, I suppose I’d be willing to wear pink socks too, at least with long pants 😉
 Where do you buy them?

Offline hopm

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
farm to feet

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 12:46:02 AM »
I wear these Underarmour cushioned moisture wicking socks.  My feet sweat relatively little.  Between that and the moisture wicking, I think that helps keep my feet from getting hot in summer generally.  I'm seeing them on Amazon right now for $15 for 2pr.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 01:14:15 AM »
I wear the dickies work socks from WM.  now our cat stormy has started biting and chewing holes in them if you do not put them away.  Brad, you have handsome calves!   :D  @Brad_bb 
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 05:30:43 AM »
We sell farm to feet socks at the hardware store I work at. That is what I wear.
I do wear 2 pair of socks all the time,summer too. I use to have a hard time with my feet,sweat. I worked at Acadia National Park here in Maine for a couple summers. Use to see and talk to a lot of hikers. They all wore heavy socks and some 2 pair. They all said the same thing,keeps thier feet dry and keeps the sweat away. Finally I tried it,how could they all be wrong? Been doing it now for 40 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 05:32:01 AM »
I wear Wig Wam wool socks year around or home knit ones. I find Carhart are too tight. I wear logger boots a lot in the woods, like rubbers with chaulk soles and chain saw protection, so I get the long socks. I find regular work boots are hard to walk in in our woods. You need soles that won't slide around and can walk on spruce roots.

These are my everyday sock, year around. I get their heavy socks for my boots. ;D

I used to be a Red Wing boot fan until the last pair of boots. I barely wore them and kept them clean in the closet, thinking they would be used years down the road. I dug them out this winter for walking and noticed the rubber in the soles was so poor they fell apart. It's some kind of translucent rubber, not dark black of regular work boots.  I took them into a boot shop to have new soles put on and they said they was so pourly constructed that there was nothing to attach new soles to. The leather and construction above the soles was excellent, but there wasn't much for a foundation and the soles were junk. Keep in mind these books were hardly warn. I came home from the boot shop and tossed them into the trash.  So much for a good brand. And these were USA made boots, not China. I now have Irish Setter, well constructed and good soles this time, but made in China. :D I talked to the boot shop about Red Wings (they sell them) and they said they are still making them like that and the ones I tossed was 10 years old. The leather was like new not even marked up.
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

Offline square1

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 06:01:08 AM »
Carrhart wool year round comfort

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
I have had good luck with redwing, but only at a dealer.  got the first pair at a Browns shoe store, and when they had problems they offered to sell me another pair and get a refund after sending in the boots to see if the co. would stand behind them.  At a Redwing store they have replaced gromits and made repairs to the lining that was normal wear and tear.  You can take them in for free water proofing, and new laces.  I get the composite toe, and if you have the toe guard, they will touch that up to. they are expensive but they have stood behind mine.  they keep everything on the computer so if I need  a new pair,  I call them and my wife can pick them up.  I like the insole you can heat up and mold to your foot.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:45 AM »
I wear thru socks pretty fast and the good ones are expensive. I've been buying Darn Tough for several years. They last better than Smart Wool. 
https://darntough.com
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 07:29:47 AM »
I wear thru socks pretty fast and the good ones are expensive. I've been buying Darn Tough for several years. They last better than Smart Wool.
https://darntough.com
They’re guaranteed too aren’t they for wear through? 
I wear anything with Marino wool to wick the sweat away. I vary the thickness, light ones for my casual wear and heavy for work boots. No cotton socks! 
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Offline nybhh

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 07:49:37 AM »
Wow guys, I appreciate all the responses!  I started going through and looking at some of these last night and dang some of you guys wear some expensive socks!  

Lots of good options to choose from here and I may have to try a couple and compare instead of my usual 5-packs.

I understand when you have feet problems, anything that allows you to be on your feet all-day without pain is worth it but do you guys find these $15-20 socks worth it and more durable?  I typically spend maybe $15-$20 on a 3-5 pack but tend to wear through them pretty quick.  

Like some tools I guess, the more expensive socks may actually cost less in the long run and provide a lot more comfort and enjoyment along the way.

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 07:51:43 AM »
Quality wool socks all year round in the work boots. 
Cut down in length of course because I'm in shorts all year.
And some brand or other of costco like cotton sock for in runners.

Take decent care of your feet. Clean and dry.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline luap

• Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
I am glad to see the responses here. Never heard of Darn tough brand before. I will check that out as I have been a smart wool user. Cost? Yes, they do but they outwear  and outperform many others. Its not like they are the only ones I use as I have a drawer full of no name socks but they get worn when I am sitting in front of this screen.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
chainsaw boot or snake boot

Started by rebocardo on General Board

12 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 10:40:42 PM
by bitternut
xx
High work boot vs regular work boot

Started by bigtrees on General Board

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 04:29:03 PM
by Skip