iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite summer boot socks

Started by nybhh, April 01, 2019, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

Weird question - I know.

I realized on our first warm Saturday last weekend that my unholey supply of summer boot socks is dwindling and its time to resupply.

I also like to have designated "forestry" socks that make it into my monthly anti-tick permethrin regimen.  Looking for something with some cushioning (not too thin) for steel-toed work boots that wick moisture well but don't get too terribly hot during the summer.

Any favorites?  I typically gravitate to Carhartt for these sorts of things but the  summer-weight version I came across on Amazon didn't have very good reviews.  
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Old Greenhorn

I'm following this, interested to hear the replies. MY 'problems' are usually during the winter, but if somebody has something new to me, I would like to hear it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Here is what I have been wearing for several years:  Caterpillar Socks/Hat

I buy the bundle from Sears for about $13.00.  (Google can beat the price in the above link).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

I wear wool year round. No particular brand, but just about any sock with >50% wool content will be high quality.

AZ_builder

I have feet problems. Broke 6 bones in my left foot about 10 years ago and broke three toes on my right foot 5 years ago while trying to get a 1800lb bull off me. That said, my feet are sensitive now and I work on a concrete floor 12 hours a day in steel toes. About 3 years ago I won a pair of snap-on socks from my local tool truck. They were breast cancer awareness pink! Once I finally wore them, most of my foot pain has stopped!!! Since then I've ordered a dozen pair a year at $4-5 a pair and won't ever wear another sock. No sweating, no foot stink, and comfortable. Fits a bit tight at first but breaks into my foot.

luap

Summer, what's that? My favorite socks are Smart Wool brand. good for any outdoor cold weather activity

woodmills1

My boots and my socks are all redwing.  Yes, the big bucks both for boots and for socks.  Tax time all a write off,  happy feet.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

nybhh

@AZ_builder With an endorsement like that, I suppose I'd be willing to wear pink socks too, at least with long pants 😉
 Where do you buy them?

hopm

Brad_bb

I wear these Underarmour cushioned moisture wicking socks.  My feet sweat relatively little.  Between that and the moisture wicking, I think that helps keep my feet from getting hot in summer generally.  I'm seeing them on Amazon right now for $15 for 2pr.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I wear the dickies work socks from WM.  now our cat stormy has started biting and chewing holes in them if you do not put them away.  Brad, you have handsome calves!   :D  @Brad_bb 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

We sell farm to feet socks at the hardware store I work at. That is what I wear.
I do wear 2 pair of socks all the time,summer too. I use to have a hard time with my feet,sweat. I worked at Acadia National Park here in Maine for a couple summers. Use to see and talk to a lot of hikers. They all wore heavy socks and some 2 pair. They all said the same thing,keeps thier feet dry and keeps the sweat away. Finally I tried it,how could they all be wrong? Been doing it now for 40 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I wear Wig Wam wool socks year around or home knit ones. I find Carhart are too tight. I wear logger boots a lot in the woods, like rubbers with chaulk soles and chain saw protection, so I get the long socks. I find regular work boots are hard to walk in in our woods. You need soles that won't slide around and can walk on spruce roots.

These are my everyday sock, year around. I get their heavy socks for my boots. ;D

Wigwam 40 below wool socks - YouTube

I used to be a Red Wing boot fan until the last pair of boots. I barely wore them and kept them clean in the closet, thinking they would be used years down the road. I dug them out this winter for walking and noticed the rubber in the soles was so poor they fell apart. It's some kind of translucent rubber, not dark black of regular work boots.  I took them into a boot shop to have new soles put on and they said they was so pourly constructed that there was nothing to attach new soles to. The leather and construction above the soles was excellent, but there wasn't much for a foundation and the soles were junk. Keep in mind these books were hardly warn. I came home from the boot shop and tossed them into the trash.  So much for a good brand. And these were USA made boots, not China. I now have Irish Setter, well constructed and good soles this time, but made in China. :D I talked to the boot shop about Red Wings (they sell them) and they said they are still making them like that and the ones I tossed was 10 years old. The leather was like new not even marked up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

square1

Carrhart wool year round comfort

doc henderson

I have had good luck with redwing, but only at a dealer.  got the first pair at a Browns shoe store, and when they had problems they offered to sell me another pair and get a refund after sending in the boots to see if the co. would stand behind them.  At a Redwing store they have replaced gromits and made repairs to the lining that was normal wear and tear.  You can take them in for free water proofing, and new laces.  I get the composite toe, and if you have the toe guard, they will touch that up to. they are expensive but they have stood behind mine.  they keep everything on the computer so if I need  a new pair,  I call them and my wife can pick them up.  I like the insole you can heat up and mold to your foot.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sprucebunny

I wear thru socks pretty fast and the good ones are expensive. I've been buying Darn Tough for several years. They last better than Smart Wool. 
https://darntough.com
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crowhill

Quote from: sprucebunny on April 02, 2019, 07:02:45 AM
I wear thru socks pretty fast and the good ones are expensive. I've been buying Darn Tough for several years. They last better than Smart Wool.
They're guaranteed too aren't they for wear through? 
I wear anything with Marino wool to wick the sweat away. I vary the thickness, light ones for my casual wear and heavy for work boots. No cotton socks! 
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

nybhh

Wow guys, I appreciate all the responses!  I started going through and looking at some of these last night and dang some of you guys wear some expensive socks!  

Lots of good options to choose from here and I may have to try a couple and compare instead of my usual 5-packs.

I understand when you have feet problems, anything that allows you to be on your feet all-day without pain is worth it but do you guys find these $15-20 socks worth it and more durable?  I typically spend maybe $15-$20 on a 3-5 pack but tend to wear through them pretty quick.  

Like some tools I guess, the more expensive socks may actually cost less in the long run and provide a lot more comfort and enjoyment along the way.

rubberfish

Quality wool socks all year round in the work boots. 
Cut down in length of course because I'm in shorts all year.
And some brand or other of costco like cotton sock for in runners.

Take decent care of your feet. Clean and dry.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

luap

I am glad to see the responses here. Never heard of Darn tough brand before. I will check that out as I have been a smart wool user. Cost? Yes, they do but they outwear  and outperform many others. Its not like they are the only ones I use as I have a drawer full of no name socks but they get worn when I am sitting in front of this screen.

AZ_builder

Quote from: nybhh on April 01, 2019, 09:52:02 PM
@AZ_builder With an endorsement like that, I suppose I'd be willing to wear pink socks too, at least with long pants 😉
Where do you buy them?
I buy mine from our snap-on tool distributor. I'm sure they could be ordered online. I'm also sure they're made by another company but I haven't really cared to research it.

trapper

Redwing they have a higher percent of merino wool.  alpaca for dress sock.  Doc where do you get those insoles? Also redwing just had a spring sale buy two pair get one free.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

bwstout

I have been wearing these year around my feet sweat a lot and they keep them dry and cool and warm when it is cold. PEOPLE SOCKS Merino wool crew socks you can get them on amazon for abut 30.00 for 4 pair.
home built mill

Mountain_d

I wear a polypropylene inner sock with a thick wool (50% wool and 50% synthetic) sock over top. 
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

John Mc

Quote from: sprucebunny on April 02, 2019, 07:02:45 AM
I wear Darn Tough as well. I still have some of my old Smart Wool socks and will continue to use them until they wear out, but anything I'm buying new for a work sock is now Darn Tough. They are made here in Vermont, and they are a quality product - they cost a bt more, but they last. They are mostly Merino Wool, though the % varies among various designs of socks. Available in a variety of cushioning.

I was wearing GameHide Elimitick treated socks. They are treated to kill ticks, and the treatment supposedly lasts the life of the sock. Since the socks don't hold up very well, I can say with some confidence that the anti-tick treatment does last "the life of the sock". They do make my feet sweat a lot. My feet always feel wetter than when I'm wearing Darn Tough or Smart Wool.

With the disappointing life of the GameHide socks, I tried these Insect Shield socks. They seem to be holding up a bit better. Not much cushioning, but they do work to keep away ticks. I've been using a pair for two summers now, and it's still effective. Not a wool sock, so my feet do feel wetter than with the DarnTough or SmartWool socks.

I just ordered a pair of the Farm 2 Feet "No Fly Zone" socks. They are wool, but the description is a bit misleading: "we use 100% US made merino wool" does not mean the socks are 100% wool, just that the wool they use is US Merino. All of their "No fly Zone" socks are treated for ticks. I'm waiting to hear back on the claimed life of the treatment.

NOTE: the Gamehide, Insect Shield, and Farm 2 Feet socks are all sold by SOCK size. THis is not the same as shoe size. You will likely need to bump up a size from your sho size to get a good fit (for example, I wear a size 9 shoe, but order the large size Insect Shield socks - size 10-13 - to get a good fit).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!