iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Headed to Alaska for a Trip of a Lifetime

Started by olcowhand, July 25, 2019, 06:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

As I stated early in the Pig Roast 2019 Post, if there's anything worth missing that for- it's ALASKA.
Leaving tomorrow with my 9 year old. We intend to do some fishing, sightseeing, and relaxing.
You guys in Alaska, I'm not the kind of guy that "drops in", but if you have some pointers on interesting doings, I'm all ears. We'll be arriving in Anchorage late tomorrow, staying in the Anchorage area Saturday, then heading south to our camp later on Saturday. I'm pretty sure my daughter will get tired of fishing on day 3/ 4, and will be looking for new adventures. From there, we're free as birds....
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

OCH,

Hope you guys have a great time. I'm not sure but is it a little early for the Salmon to be running? Seem like we went in August to catch the bears feeding and such. I suspect there is no bad time to go except maybe the dead of winter and there may be advantages to that too. My daughter found a used car dealer there in Anchorage that rented cars too. Anything on the lot not already sold was for rent. I got a beat up Dodge SUV with a cracked windshield and nicks and dings aplenty because we were going on a lot of dirt roads and the main car rental places like AVIS and such would not let you take their stuff off paved roads. The guy never even looked at it when we returned it. Be careful and have fun.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

Thanks, Howard & CFarm,
My nephew, who has been up there a couple times at this time- tells me the Sockeye run is so heavy they boosted the daily limit from 5 to 9.
Not sure what else is running, but we are also planning a day trip on the Inlet for Silvers and Halibut.
I'll post some pics upon return.....
Steve

Chuck White

By all means, if you can swing it, take a charter out in the inlet and fish for Halibut!

I think the King Salmon are running now too, but I'm not positive!

You'll have fun regardless!  8)

EDIT:  Try contacting FF member "Warbird", don't really know if he's back in Fairbanks yet though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Have a good trip my friend.  We will be in Hyder, AK for the next couple of days.  The weather is fine!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ESFted

Quote from: Magicman on July 28, 2019, 03:18:36 PM
Have a good trip my friend.  We will be in Hyder, AK for the next couple of days.  The weather is fine!
Hyder, AK...population 87...now population 89??
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

olcowhand

Lynn,
Why didn't you send me an email saying you'd be in the "area" (>1500 miles away, which I couldn't have covered anyway, due to the fact that they won't let me bring my "Bear Medicine" into Canada...)?
To all,
Anyway, we're back- and I have to say that we saw some of the most beautiful country that our loving Creator bestowed upon this world. Our Alaska FF Members are truly blessed.
Most of our time was spent fishing, but we did some sight- seeing and otherwise kicked around.
The Sockeye run was very heavy, and (thanks to our Host's fine tutelage) I was able to limit (which was increased to six a day) two days in a row. My lovely daughter, Stephanie- was able to catch her first Sockeye. We saw Moose (not anything special to you Maine members) and Brown Bear (something that should be special to us all...). Pics below:

Bonus Question: What item, shown in one of these pics- was one of the great door prizes I got at the very fine 2018 Pig Roast? Send me an IM with your answer, and I'll draw from all participants and send you a souvenir Cap and donate $25.00 to the Forum in your name.... 
Steve 

olcowhand

Wow, I've already received numerous responses for the Drawing. Everyone so far has it right.....
I'll close the contest at 6:00 am EST Thursday, 8/8/19- so get your entry in...
Steve

Magicman

Looks like you and Stephanie had an awesome trip Steve.  Congrats, but you must be warned; once you ever go to Alaska, you never come all of the way back home.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

@Shotgun Not only were you the first respondent, but you're the WINNER! My daughter drew your name out of all the respondents.
Please IM me with an address you would like the hat sent to, and I'll get it shipped.
Thanks everyone, for your positive thoughts and feedback.
Lynn,
Maybe next year, we'll meet up, have some BLT's, and call it the 2020 Pig Roast Alaska annex....
Steve

doc henderson

was it the Stihl cap?  looks like you all had a grand time.  trip of a lifetime!!! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Yes Doc, It was the Stihl cap- one of the many fine Door Prizes we were awarded at the 2018 Pig Roast. It was the trip of a lifetime, and I'm glad my daughter Stephanie (God willing) will have the memory for her lifetime, as well.
If there is a down side, it's that we can't get the Sockeye Salmon to time their run around Jeff's schedule, instead of conflicting with it.....
Steve 

gspren

I'm betting she will remember it! Time spent fishing with your dad is special even if she doesn't know it yet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!