iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alligare Imazapyr 4 SL vs Triclopyr 4 for Sweetgum / Privet Hedge control?

Started by gdk771, September 16, 2019, 08:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdk771

I am trying to control a bunch of sweet gum / privet hedge that has popped up in a 104 acre loblo.lly  pine stand that had a precommercial thinning done a few years ago.  This stuff has popped up everywhere.  I performed a controlled burn on the property last spring.  This knocked back the sweetgum but it seems that 4 came back where the original tree died.  The privet did not seem to be affected much at all.

I have heard that Alligare Triclopyr 4 will knock out the sweet gum but you have to be careful as it also can kill the pines.  I have also heard that  Imazapyr 4 SL along with some MSM 60 added (1% solution) will do the trick.  Has anyone had any experience with either or both?  The Triclopyr 4 is about half the cost of the Imazapyr 4 SL but if it won't work it's not worth buying.  Will MSM 60 work added to the Imazapyr 4 also?  Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to make a mistake buying a bunch of this stuff and all the work that goes with spraying it on the sweet gums and privet.  I also don't want to kill my pines.  This is for spraying with a wand sprayer mounted to a 15 gallon tank with pump in the back of a UTV.  There is no other way to get around in the forest as it is so dense.  I was told to do this between now and winter while the leaves are on the sweet gum.

btulloh

I've used triclopyr on privet successfully. Proper timing helps. I'd rather you look that up rather than rely on my memory. There's plenty of control info published by various universities. Cut-stump or hack and squirt works well on larger privet. Depends on how much you have. Sometimes I had to retreat the following year.

I used mainly Crossbow, which contains both triclopyr and 2-4d. Garlon is similar. I have no input on other formulations.

It sounds like you are planning to follow guidelines and precautions, so that's good.

Good luck. Privet is persistent.
HM126

btulloh

I've found it easier to control the sweet gum. Dormant seeds can hang around for several years though. Treated stumps respond nicely. 
HM126

gdk771

Thanks for the suggestions.  There are waaayy to many sweet gum to cut and treat.  I tried having them cut and the stumps sprayed when they precommerical thinned and it does not seem like it helped much.  I am going to have to spray the leaves.  I will just have to be careful not to get any overspray on the pines which will be tricky.

btulloh

When I've sprayed the leaves on sweet gums it's worked well. Full coverage seems to be the ticket. Nothing new about that. Controlling the overspray and drift will be the hard part. 

There are a couple foresters on here that will probably weigh in on this before long. That'll be some good input. 
HM126

btulloh

There is something used to control deciduous in plantation pine. Outside of my knowledge though. @WDH - your help is needed!
HM126

WDH

Sounds like a helicopter might be the way to go to spray the stand.  This is commonly done.  It is also done with a skidder equipped for ground spraying.  I will send you a personal message with the contact info of a Forester friend of mine that has done some work for me that will be able to tell you what your best treatment options are. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gdk771

Thanks all for the suggestions.  WDH I left a message for your friend to get his input. 

Wudman

16 ounces of a 4 pound Imazypry (Imazapyr 4 SL) + 2 ounces of MSM + 4 ounces of a release surfactant applied per acre is an industry standard rate.  I do most of this work with helicopter applied with a total volume of 10 gallons per acre.  You will not be able to control your application rates with a utv and spray wand. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!