iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rafting ax HEAD source.

Started by Old Greenhorn, October 15, 2019, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Find an ax head a little bigger and grind it down to what you want. Saw out some hickory quarter sawn handle blanks and get them drying.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: moodnacreek on May 13, 2022, 09:07:20 PM
Find an ax head a little bigger and grind it down to what you want. Saw out some hickory quarter sawn handle blanks and get them drying.
That's a quick way to make a piece of useless metal with a lot of labor on top. A properly made ax will have a piece of tool steel welded in the front for the cutting edge (bit) and putting a grinder on that will take the life out of it or even make it go away because you can only guess where it is and how deep it goes. Putting it on a grinding wheel is a quick way to remove any ability to get a good temper in that edge. If I pick up an axe head and it shows signs of having seen a grinder I either put it back down or evaluate if it would be a good looking doorstop.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 13, 2022, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on May 13, 2022, 09:07:20 PM
That's a quick way to make a piece of useless metal with a lot of labor on top. A properly made ax will have a piece of tool steel welded in the front for the cutting edge (bit) and putting a grinder on that will take the life out of it or even make it go away because you can only guess where it is and how deep it goes. Putting it on a grinding wheel is a quick way to remove any ability to get a good temper in that edge. If I pick up an axe head and it shows signs of having seen a grinder I either put it back down or evaluate if it would be a good looking doorstop.
Your right and your wrong. They where ground to shape when they where made. You could weld in a piece of saw [knife] steel for a cutting edge but you are back to grinding again. There is a process , perhaps wet grinding.

Thank You Sponsors!