iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

experience with the Wood-Mizer LX55?

Started by Spindrifter, November 19, 2019, 12:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spindrifter

I'm new to the Forum and milling in general,  I started this summer with a Logosol M8 chainsaw mill and quickly realized I needed something faster.  
  Which brings me to my question,  I've been interested in the Woodmizer LX55, possibly the electric version but not certain about the electric portability isn't necessary but might be nice.  Has anyone on here had any experience with this saw?  It's new enough that I am having difficulty getting first hand experience through reviews or videos with them.  I like the design better than the lt10 because of the four post head.  I am a bit worried about all the bolt together parts on the log bed wiggling loose with heavy use but this would be a concern with all the competition at this price point.  I am also considering a Woodland Mill HM130 which looks like a good saw with a larger capacity but roughly the same price point considering the WM is on sale currently.  
  I will be building a large woodshop this coming spring and hoping to mill at least the board and bat siding as well as making my own cedar shingles and whatever framing lumber I can get away with from the local building department.

Thanks for any input you may have!

Bruno of NH

Woodmizer all the way
Just my experience 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Spindrifter

Hello Bruno of NH
  Thanks for your response, It seems most people are happy with their Wood-Mizer mills,  I hope to someday have a fancy hydraulic bandmill as well, all in good time.  
  There are many features of the LX 55 which make it a bit better like the blade guide rollers which are only ceramic on the Woodland Mills as well as electric option. Depth of cut is 10.5 on the Woodmizer vs 7 on the Woodland Mills.  although the Woodland Mills has several standard options like adjustable blade guide, 14hp electric start and leveling feet.  All of which seem to be available on the Wood-Mizer but at an extra cost.

Bruno of NH

The lx style mill has been in production in Europe for a while I belive.
They also use electric mills more in Europe. 
I'm stationary and would have got an electric mill but New England has the highest utility rates in the country.
I like to sing while milling and it would be better with an electric mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

A-z farmer

Spindrifter 
If you put your location down I am sure there is some mills around that you could see in operation.
And being a tail gunner for a few hours on the different makes of mills will help in your decision.
And welcome to the forestry forum
Zeke

Oddman

Personally I would go after the woodmizer, easier resale down the road. You will want more mill, no doubt..

ladylake

EZ boardwalk.  30" log vs 26".  Built heavy.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Busiguy6

I have the LX55 electric mill (14 hp). I have very much enjoyed the convenience of the electric motor. I bought it initially because of its quiet operation, but the "on, off" ease has proven to be very useful. I use a gantry hoist and winch to compensate for the lack of hydraulics. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the setup and the quality of unit. I am building my family cabin, and with the price of lumber these days, My WoodMizer mill may be the best investment I have ever made. 
LX55E. Building out my cutting shed. So I can build out my cabin.

Nebraska

Welcome curious as to where you are located as well.

BilgeRat

Hello, I ordered a woodmizer lx 55 at the beginning of 2021 received the mill in September of the same year and haven't gotten to use it as much as I would've liked due to work but so far I'm more than pleased with the mill does everything I've asked of it. 

Stephen1

Quote from: BilgeRat on March 19, 2022, 08:09:00 PM
Hello, I ordered a woodmizer lx 55 at the beginning of 2021 received the mill in September of the same year and haven't gotten to use it as much as I would've liked due to work but so far I'm more than pleased with the mill does everything I've asked of it.
This is why I suggest to people, to gather the logs and bring in a hydraulic mill for the day. it opens your eyes to what it is like to own a mill and see it sawing in real life, not the sales promotional gimics. They don't really tell you it's 20% sawing and 85% material handling. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

BilgeRat

Quote from: Stephen1 on March 20, 2022, 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: BilgeRat on March 19, 2022, 08:09:00 PM
This is why I suggest to people, to gather the logs and bring in a hydraulic mill for the day. it opens your eyes to what it is like to own a mill and see it sawing in real life, not the sales promotional gimics. They don't really tell you it's 20% sawing and 85% 
Or atleast try to see first hand what your getting into. Try to find some one close by that has one and offer help for the day so you can see the whole process for me personally I would much rather do it my self than hire it done.

Thank You Sponsors!