The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: I Read a Book  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
I Read a Book
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
The first book that I have read from cover to cover in years.  Why, because I never seem to have or take the time?  Poor excuse but it is all that I have.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book by Mike Rowe.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
Re: I Read a Book
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
Excellent book!

I'm a reader, don't sleep well so I read.
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »
Mike Rowe was on Fox News a few mornings ago.  When the subject came up, he gave an excellent definition of a "essential worker".  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
   I will look for it. I read a lot and always have. I can't sleep till I at least read a few pages of something every night. Even when I was working as a transient all over Iraq and Afghanistan I had a gooseneck light I would keep in my carry on and I'd use my roll around carry-on as a night stand next to my cot and read. One good thing over there as there were always donated books at every camp's MWR and all the airports would have a rack of books people passing through would drop off and exchange. I visit the 2nd and Charles second hand book stores every time I go visit our daughter in Charlotte. Next time I need to take a bunch of duplicates back. Many books I re-read many times. I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
I have started it but not finished it.  I pulled off and read another book about a preacher that helped the folks in a particular area of SW VA mountains.  

Mike's book is good to pick up and read a short story and put down.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
  I will look for it. I read a lot and always have. I can't sleep till I at least read a few pages of something every night. Even when I was working as a transient all over Iraq and Afghanistan I had a gooseneck light I would keep in my carry on and I'd use my roll around carry-on as a night stand next to my cot and read. One good thing over there as there were always donated books at every camp's MWR and all the airports would have a rack of books people passing through would drop off and exchange. I visit the 2nd and Charles second hand book stores every time I go visit our daughter in Charlotte. Next time I need to take a bunch of duplicates back. Many books I re-read many times. I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe.
I use a kindle paper white [about $80] It holds thousands of books and can be used in both no light and full sunlight.
With Amazon prime unlimited I have access to millions of free books. I manage to read 3-4 a week.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:37 PM »
No update lately, what about your shoulder Bill?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
Had PT today. Pretty sore still along the bicep. Thinking when I moved a skillet I tweaked something. Other than that my range of movement is very good they say.

My knee replacement has been pushed back indefinitely due to this kungflu BS which PO's me because now our bike trip this year is up in the air and may not happen.

How's yours?

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:20 PM »
Still in the sling.  I have an appointment Monday, but who knows whether that will happen??

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
I have started it but not finished it.  I pulled off and read another book about a preacher that helped the folks in a particular area of SW VA mountains.  

Mike's book is good to pick up and read a short story and put down.
Sam, what was the book about the preacher?
Bill, I had a little oops early on with mine, I absentmindedly tried to pull a plastic package open. That brought tears to my eyes. The doc said I prolly tore loose some early adhesion but since it didn't fail it would get better which I guess it did. He did pull some loose gristle out of up there the second time when he worked on the bicep that was causing some serious crunchies, I have wondered since if it was from that.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
Don the book was 'The man who moved a mountain'.  It was about a gentleman from Buffalo Mountain who becomes a Presbyterian Minister  and he impacted the folks in that area.  I enjoyed it since I was familiar with many of the areas referenced.  I had seen several of the rock churches he evidently was instrumental in building.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
I thought that was probably it. His daughter was a friend of Michelle's Mom in their later years, a sweet lady.
https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/SlideShows/Childress_Rock_Churches/Childress_Rock_Churches.html
You can also see where they inspired houses in that style.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
MM,  what book is next??

D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »
I hope one that I write about the sawing that I hope to do after what I hope that the Dr. says about my shoulder during my appointment that I hope to make on the 30th.  ;D

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
So a book about hope, we could use one of those.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 10:30:00 AM »
   Oh! Its gonna be a comedy huh?  Going to be about a man buying a sawmill and getting rich. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
Yup, there are two sides to every coin, but it is still the same coin.  ::)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
I thought that was probably it. His daughter was a friend of Michelle's Mom in their later years, a sweet lady.
https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/SlideShows/Childress_Rock_Churches/Childress_Rock_Churches.html
You can also see where they inspired houses in that style.
Thanks for the pictures/ link.
My parents were both from Floyd County.  Mom was  from Check and dad near Twin Falls in Copper Hill. I grew up attending Primitive Baptist churches, and His description of their services was really right on from what I remember.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 10:56:53 PM »
I'm working on reading the Mike Rowe book, too. I like it👍
Too many irons in the fire

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »
Samandothers, are people that attend Primitive Baptist Churches referred to as Primitive Baptists?

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
I am trying to get back into reading as much as I used to.  Should have moe time on my hands now,guess that Tom Clancy book I got waiting on the night stand is up on deck!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »
Samandothers, are people that attend Primitive Baptist Churches referred to as Primitive Baptists?
Or Baptist, or hard shell Baptist. There's outliers in every crowd but they are the humble, salt of the earth, old school Baptists, I guess you would call them the opposite of the evangelical, loud, big church Baptists. I think the largest number of churches is in the southern mountains.

We built a house in Check some years ago, we were so far back in the woods at one point my wife said, "you realize you haven't been out of here in over a month", worked for me, a beautiful place back in the hills.

Our mason on that job was a local fellow, a giant of a man, pushing 7 ' and in the prime of life. A self ordained minister who was building his own church, appropriately I knew him only as JC. From the locals I learned he had been a rounder in his younger days, a moonshiner, short tempered, a wild and wooly character. One of the stories I heard about him was that one evening he was at the local store trying to make a phone call, the phone ate his dime and that was all it took. The phone booth was last seen bouncing down the road chained to the back of his truck. He operated on his own schedule, something we often refer to as "mountain time". He was getting behind and starting to affect progress so the next time he chose to come in we had to have a little talk. I said my piece, he responded with some excuse or other, and I said "You do understand excuses don't do anything for me, I need for you to get done." "No, you don't understand, excuses aren't for you, they are so I can sleep at night :D" We had a good laugh and he did get a little better about moving ahead.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
There is an app called Libby. It links to your library card so you can download books for free and they expire after 21 days. I havent bought a book from amazon since.

Through Libby I downloaded and audio version of Mike Rowes book when I recently drove down to Fayetteville for work. I listened to it all the way down and part of the way back. Very enjoyable book.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Offline RichTired

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »
Jon, who/what provides the narration for the book? Mike or some computer generated voice? I really like any show where Mike Rowe does the narration.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
DonP, that's funny😂 I think I'd probably fit in in the mountains just fine. I'm afflicted with what is known as in my area as "Indian time", it sounds like pretty much the same as mountain time. Schedules are enemies to this sort of lifestyle😁

Offline Wood Shed

• Full Member x2
  • Retired antique tractor guy enjoying my Tree Farm
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »
Just got my hard cover copy of "The Way I Heard It" by Mike Rowe and starting to read it now.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. -Greek Proverb

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:40 PM »
My wife bought me a Kindle about 9 years ago and I'm now on my third.  Last one I bought on Craigslist for $30 and works fine.  I have access to my city library through Kindle and Amazon and can get the bulk of things I'm specifically looking for.

I also signed up with Bookbub, sends me a daily email of cheap or free books that are available.  I've like it because I run across authors I've never read before, find stuff to try I never would have seen otherwise.

Moved back to town a few years ago and have access to 4 thrift stores now.  Wander through every week or two and have accumulated quite a backlog of authors I like but hadn't gotten to before.  Like reading books in order and a cheap way to get them.

I probably read 3 to 5 books a week, more in the winter.  Authors I like I can read again after a few years.  Doubt that I'll ever read all the books I currently have and still bumping into new thing I want to read.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Dont attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
I would assume so.  The churches are usually pretty small.   The service ran a hour but most of that was preaching.   Once I started dating I went to church with the girl friend.  It was quite a change going to her church service versus the Primitive Baptist services.

Good story Don.  The folks were/are very nice.  I have not attended a Primitive t service since I was a teen.  Very different from Southern Baptists or Methodist in structure.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:07 PM »
I read a lot of books in the winter and now for obvious reasons. Our local thrift sells soft backs for .50 and hardcovers for $1.00 and once in awhile BOGO and I stay stocked up. Every so often I box up a bunch I've read and donate them back.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-13 still feel OK and am retired
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
I have the paperwhite and dont use it as much as I should.
I'm now on the third volume of Shelby Footes Civil War trilogy, my second time thru.
I am in agreement with a southern generals comment.
"If I had the yankee artillery and our infantry I could lick any army in the world"
I'll see if I can get Mike Rowes book on my Kindle next.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
Here is one about my part of the country, but you will not read it in two days:  Rising Tide

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 03:54:08 PM »
I have the paperwhite and dont use it as much as I should.
I'm now on the third volume of Shelby Footes Civil War trilogy, my second time thru.
I am in agreement with a southern generals comment.
"If I had the yankee artillery and our infantry I could lick any army in the world"
I'll see if I can get Mike Rowes book on my Kindle next.

Pete, if you like civil war reading get Killer Angels by Michael Sharra.
Then start reading his son Jeff's s books that start during the revolution and go through to Korea.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
Jon, who/what provides the narration for the book? Mike or some computer generated voice? I really like any show where Mike Rowe does the narration.
It was Mike Rowe. It was like he was telling us stories.
Verry entertaining.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 06:46:41 PM »
So I downloaded Mr. Rowe's audio book last year when I saw this topic. In the book he made mention of Travis McGee, a character in several John D Macdonald books.

I finished book 21 today (audio books from audible). 

I found them very entertaining. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »
Does he mention his barbershop quartet background.  He had a very interesting podcast about it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »
Dan_shade, I read all (I think all) of the Travis McGee series many years ago. 30? 35? Time sure does fly! I would really like to read them all again.
Firefighter, barber shop and OPERA!! He used opera as a path to get his actors license.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 08:51:45 PM »
I missed this the first go around. My wife just ordered us one off eBay (used) $5.36, free shipping. :)

Offline Lostinmn

• Full Member x2
  • I was me, but now he's gone.
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »
There is an app called Libby. It links to your library card so you can download books for free and they expire after 21 days. I havent bought a book from amazon since.

Through Libby I downloaded and audio version of Mike Rowes book when I recently drove down to Fayetteville for work. I listened to it all the way down and part of the way back. Very enjoyable book.

Jon
I second the libby app!  I listen to audio books on this app via downloaded from my local library.  I do about 20 books a month by listening on walks, when driving and even when milling while using my 3M WorkTunes ear muffs.  
With full time job, two kids and typical life requirements I rarely get time to read a physical book much anymore and even as a fast reader there just isn't enough time in the day to get through all the books on my interest list.  I was a veracious reader before having kids. 
The app also lets you adjust the speed you listen to the audio book.  After slowly increasing it, I now listen to most books at between 2.5 to 3 times normal speed and you can finish a 12 hour book in 4 hours or so.  Very, very efficient!  I'd never keep up with my reading interest list without it.
Highly recommend the libby app!

Offline aigheadish

• Full Member x2
  • Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
Reading is cool. I read, like some others, mostly before bed. I also don't usually buy books so I read a lot of public domain, or classic stuff. Right now is Robinson Crusoe and I've been on a bit of a deserted island kick, with Swiss Family Robinson, just before. 

I should look into the Libby app. I usually take a long time to read stuff, can you extend the "borrowing" period on there? 

Also, for work, I'm reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and it's pretty good!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
TF Guild "Red Book / Green Book"

Started by DangleSnipe267 on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2020, 05:42:36 PM
by Don P
xx
TSI book

Started by reelman65 on Ask The Forester

0 Replies
Last post January 31, 2019, 07:50:41 AM
by reelman65