iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Read a Book

Started by Magicman, March 25, 2020, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The first book that I have read from cover to cover in years.  Why, because I never seem to have or take the time?  Poor excuse but it is all that I have.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book by Mike Rowe.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Excellent book!

I'm a reader, don't sleep well so I read.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

Mike Rowe was on Fox News a few mornings ago.  When the subject came up, he gave an excellent definition of a "essential worker".  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I will look for it. I read a lot and always have. I can't sleep till I at least read a few pages of something every night. Even when I was working as a transient all over Iraq and Afghanistan I had a gooseneck light I would keep in my carry on and I'd use my roll around carry-on as a night stand next to my cot and read. One good thing over there as there were always donated books at every camp's MWR and all the airports would have a rack of books people passing through would drop off and exchange. I visit the 2nd and Charles second hand book stores every time I go visit our daughter in Charlotte. Next time I need to take a bunch of duplicates back. Many books I re-read many times. I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

I have started it but not finished it.  I pulled off and read another book about a preacher that helped the folks in a particular area of SW VA mountains.  

Mike's book is good to pick up and read a short story and put down.

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 25, 2020, 02:09:37 PM
  I will look for it. I read a lot and always have. I can't sleep till I at least read a few pages of something every night. Even when I was working as a transient all over Iraq and Afghanistan I had a gooseneck light I would keep in my carry on and I'd use my roll around carry-on as a night stand next to my cot and read. One good thing over there as there were always donated books at every camp's MWR and all the airports would have a rack of books people passing through would drop off and exchange. I visit the 2nd and Charles second hand book stores every time I go visit our daughter in Charlotte. Next time I need to take a bunch of duplicates back. Many books I re-read many times. I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe.
I use a kindle paper white [about $80] It holds thousands of books and can be used in both no light and full sunlight.
With Amazon prime unlimited I have access to millions of free books. I manage to read 3-4 a week.

Magicman

No update lately, what about your shoulder Bill?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Had PT today. Pretty sore still along the bicep. Thinking when I moved a skillet I tweaked something. Other than that my range of movement is very good they say.

My knee replacement has been pushed back indefinitely due to this kungflu BS which PO's me because now our bike trip this year is up in the air and may not happen.

How's yours?

Magicman

Still in the sling.  I have an appointment Monday, but who knows whether that will happen??

Don P

Quote from: samandothers on March 25, 2020, 02:30:20 PM
I have started it but not finished it.  I pulled off and read another book about a preacher that helped the folks in a particular area of SW VA mountains.  

Mike's book is good to pick up and read a short story and put down.
Sam, what was the book about the preacher?
Bill, I had a little oops early on with mine, I absentmindedly tried to pull a plastic package open. That brought tears to my eyes. The doc said I prolly tore loose some early adhesion but since it didn't fail it would get better which I guess it did. He did pull some loose gristle out of up there the second time when he worked on the bicep that was causing some serious crunchies, I have wondered since if it was from that.

samandothers

Don the book was 'The man who moved a mountain'.  It was about a gentleman from Buffalo Mountain who becomes a Presbyterian Minister  and he impacted the folks in that area.  I enjoyed it since I was familiar with many of the areas referenced.  I had seen several of the rock churches he evidently was instrumental in building.

Don P

I thought that was probably it. His daughter was a friend of Michelle's Mom in their later years, a sweet lady.
https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/SlideShows/Childress_Rock_Churches/Childress_Rock_Churches.html
You can also see where they inspired houses in that style.

dgdrls

MM,  what book is next??

D

Magicman

I hope one that I write about the sawing that I hope to do after what I hope that the Dr. says about my shoulder during my appointment that I hope to make on the 30th.  ;D

Hilltop366

So a book about hope, we could use one of those.

WV Sawmiller

Oh! Its gonna be a comedy huh?  Going to be about a man buying a sawmill and getting rich. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, there are two sides to every coin, but it is still the same coin.  ::)

samandothers

Quote from: Don P on March 26, 2020, 08:43:01 AM
I thought that was probably it. His daughter was a friend of Michelle's Mom in their later years, a sweet lady.
https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/SlideShows/Childress_Rock_Churches/Childress_Rock_Churches.html
You can also see where they inspired houses in that style.
Thanks for the pictures/ link.
My parents were both from Floyd County.  Mom was  from Check and dad near Twin Falls in Copper Hill. I grew up attending Primitive Baptist churches, and His description of their services was really right on from what I remember.

barbender

I'm working on reading the Mike Rowe book, too. I like it👍
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Samandothers, are people that attend Primitive Baptist Churches referred to as Primitive Baptists?

GRANITEstateMP

I am trying to get back into reading as much as I used to.  Should have moe time on my hands now,guess that Tom Clancy book I got waiting on the night stand is up on deck!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Don P

Quote from: barbender on March 26, 2020, 10:58:14 PM
Samandothers, are people that attend Primitive Baptist Churches referred to as Primitive Baptists?
Or Baptist, or hard shell Baptist. There's outliers in every crowd but they are the humble, salt of the earth, old school Baptists, I guess you would call them the opposite of the evangelical, loud, big church Baptists. I think the largest number of churches is in the southern mountains.

We built a house in Check some years ago, we were so far back in the woods at one point my wife said, "you realize you haven't been out of here in over a month", worked for me, a beautiful place back in the hills.

Our mason on that job was a local fellow, a giant of a man, pushing 7 ' and in the prime of life. A self ordained minister who was building his own church, appropriately I knew him only as JC. From the locals I learned he had been a rounder in his younger days, a moonshiner, short tempered, a wild and wooly character. One of the stories I heard about him was that one evening he was at the local store trying to make a phone call, the phone ate his dime and that was all it took. The phone booth was last seen bouncing down the road chained to the back of his truck. He operated on his own schedule, something we often refer to as "mountain time". He was getting behind and starting to affect progress so the next time he chose to come in we had to have a little talk. I said my piece, he responded with some excuse or other, and I said "You do understand excuses don't do anything for me, I need for you to get done." "No, you don't understand, excuses aren't for you, they are so I can sleep at night :D" We had a good laugh and he did get a little better about moving ahead.

Weekend_Sawyer

There is an app called Libby. It links to your library card so you can download books for free and they expire after 21 days. I havent bought a book from amazon since.

Through Libby I downloaded and audio version of Mike Rowes book when I recently drove down to Fayetteville for work. I listened to it all the way down and part of the way back. Very enjoyable book.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

RichTired

Jon, who/what provides the narration for the book? Mike or some computer generated voice? I really like any show where Mike Rowe does the narration.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

barbender

DonP, that's funny😂 I think I'd probably fit in in the mountains just fine. I'm afflicted with what is known as in my area as "Indian time", it sounds like pretty much the same as mountain time. Schedules are enemies to this sort of lifestyle😁

Thank You Sponsors!