iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I charge to resize a 6x6?

Started by Patrick NC, August 23, 2020, 08:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I have a repeat customer that buys about 50% of the lumber I produce. On Friday he asked me for a 10 foot cedar 6x6 to be included on the next load. He sent me a message this morning and asked if I could cut it to 5.5x 5.5. He said that he would be happy to pay extra since I had already cut the 6x6. I told him no charge, but he insists. Any ideas as to what would be fair?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

terrifictimbersllc

some options

Give him the bill where there is no extra charge. If he comments say oops, but it's not worth fixing now.   

Tell him no charge, and you dont let your customers tell you how to charge. 

Tell him oops, you had mistakenly cut it to store size the first time, what a coincidence, no charge!

Charge him $5. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

brianJ

If some one is trying to give you money help them out and accept it so they can feel good about themselves.

See how easy that is  

teakwood

no charge for such a good costumer period!

if he insist you charge him 1 symbolic dollar
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Planman1954

Do it while he's there. Don't charge him. Show him by your action you appreciate his business. Emphasize this, and tell him again.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Nebraska

I wouldn't charge him, tell him you get even with him some other time. Two passes for a client that is half your business is a nothing burger. Just my opinion. I think your self told you what do to, you may never be rich but having clients that take care of you as well is important. Another option is tell him to leave it in the collection plate on Sunday morning or give to some youth activities organization etc.

doc henderson

If he is a good customer, you can tell him he could buy you a cup of coffee or a beer sometime depending on the relationship.  Make this a "comment"  on how much you appreciate his business.  sounds like a good guy if he would rather pay you than simply save a buck.  you could even tell him that you owe him a refund of you charge by the finished board feet (although it is prob. the same at 5.5 inches if you round up.)  :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hopm

Never miss a chance to let a customer know they are appreciated.

WV Sawmiller

I agree no charge. If he insists on paying tell him $1/cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I 100% agree to no charge, but on another note, never refuse a TIP from a customer.  To do so you are refusing to allow him to experience the joy of giving and showing appreciation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I say don't charge like these guys, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

goose63

Buy me a beer the next time you see me in the bar I don't drink and thy know it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Crossroads

When someone feels obligated to pay me for something that I don't feel I should charge for. I tell them it will all come out in the wash. As Lynn stated above though, I never turn down a tip and for the exact reason he stated. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dana Stanley

Didn't you guys ever watch westerns? It's bad medicine to refuse a gift, he will be insulted if you don't take it.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

richhiway

Charge him 10 bucks and give it to charity.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Patrick NC

He picked up the order this afternoon and I told him no charge. He tried anyway, but I told him to keep it and remember it when he finds a 1x6 he doesn't like. 😁 
That was my first instinct, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by all of you since you've been in the business longer than me. Thanks. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

JoshNZ

esteadle

Time is money. Charge for your time. 

My time is worth $60 / hour when I'm sawing onsite for a customer --  a buck a minute. 

If it takes 30 minutes to re-size that cant, I would charge 30 bucks.

I'll bet your customer passes that cost along to his customer. 

alan gage

I can see this going either way.

On the one had he's a good customer and it's good to make them feel appreciated.

On the other hand he's presumably a businessman who knows that he's asking you to do something extra and that you should be compensated for it.

Either way it won't cost either of you very much money, I don't think you can go wrong.

I've been on his end of this situation before when I've either ordered something incorrectly or needed to make a change being fully aware that it was going to cost the vendor extra time/money over what was quoted/anticipated. I always tell them to charge me for it. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I actually feel better when they do charge and a little guilty when they don't.

When I really feel appreciated as a customer is when they do something like bend over backwards to get me something fast, or track down something odd I'm looking for, or step up and cover the cost when they goof up on a quote.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Dave Shepard

For a good customer, I'd do it for free, especially if the mills running anyway. It's only two 30 second cuts. It's nice to have a cut and dried approach to business, but the reality is there is a bit of give and take to keep everyone happy. As long as you aren't doing all the giving, and they are doing all the taking. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

my best friends feel like they owe me, and I feel like I owe them.  i like it like that.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!