iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using a Live Oak Trunk

Started by ReechP, April 30, 2021, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReechP

Hello everyone, new to the group. Might as well show off my amateur work.

slider

al glenn

Daburner87

Whats the black strip down the middle made out of?
HM130Max Woodlander XL

ReechP

It's a countersunk espresso stained oak veneer strip.

florida

How many years did you dry that?  Air dry or kiln?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

ReechP

Quote from: florida on May 12, 2021, 01:13:22 PM
How many years did you dry that?  Air dry or kiln?
I air dried it in my detached garage / workshop (which gets over 120 degrees) for about 9 months with weights on it.

doc henderson

looks cool, is the veneer strip holding up ok?  I assume any crack in the slab would transfer through the veneer.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GullyBog

Congratulations, a lot went into that table.  I am also interested in the strip and imagine that it is a way to reduce the splitting on the slab.  As awesome as that table is I'm betting most of this thread will be about that black line down the middle of it.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

thecfarm

First off welcome to the forum. 
What did you use to cut the slab?
Than plane/sand it?
Looks good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Beauty. I hope to do tables like this once my mill arrives. What did you use on it for finish product? Stained or oiled then clear expoxy? 
A1

ReechP

Quote from: HemlockKing on June 04, 2021, 06:56:57 AM
Beauty. I hope to do tables like this once my mill arrives. What did you use on it for finish product? Stained or oiled then clear expoxy?
Thank you. I used clear epoxy.

ReechP

Quote from: doc henderson on June 03, 2021, 04:30:09 PM
looks cool, is the veneer strip holding up ok?  I assume any crack in the slab would transfer through the veneer.  
Thank you, the veneer strip is holding up very will. The veneer strip actually covers a cut that I had to make to join the slab back together (the slab would not fit through my planer so I had to cut it in half). I used dowel pins, screws, and epoxy. Plus the table legs go across both pieces.

ReechP

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2021, 05:59:53 AM
First off welcome to the forum.
What did you use to cut the slab?
Than plane/sand it?
Looks good!!!
Thank you. To get the slab that was a mess job, I had to use a chain saw which made the slab super uneven. I have a WEN 14" band saw that I used to cut the slab in half so it fit into my planer.

ReechP

Quote from: GullyBog on June 03, 2021, 10:22:45 PM
Congratulations, a lot went into that table.  I am also interested in the strip and imagine that it is a way to reduce the splitting on the slab.  As awesome as that table is I'm betting most of this thread will be about that black line down the middle of it.
Thank you, I put the veneer strip to hid the cut/rejoining that I made to fit the piece into the planer so I'm pretty positive there wont be any splitting there.

MesquiteSawer

Nice table. It's good for a man to put his feet up on something he made.
The man makes the difference more than the equipment. That is why I value the men I work with more than equipment.

samandothers

MesquiteSawer, Welcome to the Forum!  

ReechP,  Is the veneer a thin strip as like used to edge plywood or something thicker dadoed into the top?

ReechP

Quote from: samandothers on June 08, 2021, 10:22:27 AM
MesquiteSawer, Welcome to the Forum!  

ReechP,  Is the veneer a thin strip as like used to edge plywood or something thicker dadoed into the top?
Its only a couple of mm thick and it comes in a roll.

MesquiteSawer

Thank you ReechP.  I love downloading all of the useful information that is posted on this forum. I started reading this forum 20 years ago but life got in the way of buying a sawmill. I am back at the ranch now and have slowed down somewhat with two children grown and the youngest daughter in middle school. I run a brush recycling business here at the ranch. People pay me to drop off trees (mostly branches but some logs) and brush. I am looking at swingmills with slabber attachment.
The man makes the difference more than the equipment. That is why I value the men I work with more than equipment.

Tinkerer

Very nice work. Amazing what you did with what most consider waste or firewood. You brought out its beauty
Fed my 450 Rancher so well, it grew to a 395XP!

KEC

Stuff that takes a lot of time and effort yields a lot of satisfaction. And I'll bet you're the only kid on the block with one like that. Nice table. I bet several people could stand on it without it breaking!

Thank You Sponsors!