iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stolen sawmill

Started by bruce29, June 03, 2021, 05:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

My custom built sawmill was recently stolen from me near Ardmore Tenn. This happened in the last couple weeks . This is a custom sawmill I built myself. Please be on the lookout for it. I will post pictures and link to my Facebook page also . Thanks for any help.  ( could of been repainted by now but 1 of a kind.) [url=https://www.facebook.com/bruce.hill.1485537]Update Your Browser | Facebook[/url]      Please share this contact 256-497-4362

doc henderson

sorry to hear that, and I hope it is recovered intact!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

That's too bad.  :(  :(  >:(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

711ac

I hope that you find it. 

WV Sawmiller

I hope you find the thieves who took it. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this 
I will keep my eye out on FB market place
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

There's been a few mills stolen from Forestry Forum members over the last few years, worse thing is to my knowledge none have been recovered!

Hope you find it, Bruce!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bannerd

Not to hijack this BUT what options can we do to prevent this?  I usually take a wheel off but how hard would it be for someone to battery impact one on and drive away?

Ugh, hope you recover from this.

mike_belben

Man that was a real beauty. I hope they hang for it. 

I will keep a close eye out for it in my neck of the woods.   LSN.com is a TN/AL/GA classified to watch too.  

Paging some folks in the region...

@treemuncher  
@will k  
@just_sawing  
@123maxbars   
@kiko 
@Kenny.jenkins  
@stihlsawer  
@Jjoness4  
@wolf nemeth  
@grabber green  
@Downstream  
@YellowHammer  
@Sawbriar  
@AlabamaLaura  
@RichTired  
@Esaw  
@ReggieT  
@Hot Shot Rob  
Praise The Lord

btulloh

Sorry to hear that.  I hope your mill is recovered and the thief receives his due punishment.

Nice looking build.  What kind of engine is on it?

What length blades does it use?  If they are a unique or unusual length, perhaps the major blade suppliers should be alerted.  Somebody's going to have to order blades for it.

HM126

farmfromkansas

I have been having trouble with thieves as well, lost my 22' trailer I used to haul my skidsteer and attachments, along with the grapple and 2 post augers, and my 06 Honda Rancher, and a 25 gallon sprayer a couple weeks ago.  Started removing the hitch from my mill after the thieves hit the first time, this is my 3rd theft, last time was my Chevy 2500HD, which was recovered after 6 days by the state troopers.  Deputy's advice is to make it difficult for thieves.  Tag off my trailer was recovered in a stolen pickup truck at Andover, so the thieves had to steal a truck to pull the trailer, and would bet that the stuff has been sold to a scrap yard in Wichita.  Deputys are not checking very hard, they are overwhelmed.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

YellowHammer

I will keep an eye out.  Ardmore is not too far from us.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lostinmn

Some people in the world just suck  :-[  So sorry you got hit!

For those seeking a way to keep their stuff safe, there are some cell based security cameras with battery and solar panel that will notify you on movement, such as the Reolink Go: 

"Smart Motion Detect and Instant PIR Motion Alerts - PIR schedule and sensitivity adjustment, motion recording and push notifications, email alerts, sound alarms and customized voice alerts when highly sensitive PIR motion sensor detect motion, accurate and smart motion detection less false alarm."

Since its wired free, it would even work on a mobile mill as long as you have a cell phone signal.

I've been thinking about trying one at our cabin property that doesn't have wifi, just to keep an eye on things and as a small measure of security if someone comes on the property as we have a fair amount of $s tied up in equipment on site.  

mike_belben

it would be BEST if all the stolen stuff landed at scrapyards because most yards now require license photos, license plates and have cameras, many also fingerprint before payment.  if they buy stolen property theyre potentially in hot water without having a seller to point the finger at so they keep close tabs these days now that the technology is cheap to do so.  im a second generation scrapper since about 7 years old, and i worked as a contractor at several yards from maybe 2012 to 2016, still like family with one.  i also recovered a bobcat chassis that was stolen from me (by the lying dirtbag seller!) and brought to a scrap yard i worked with so i have a little experience on all sides of this.  detectives are in frequent contact with scrapyards and thieves know it.  this is not the place they bring major items anymore.  yes, ambiguous things like copper wire, carbide,  stolen plumbing and cats are always gonna be brought in with little hope of recovery.  there will also be crooked scrapyards and bodyshops who have thief crews working the night for them particularly on late model expensive vehicles in major urban areas.  theyll get insurance to pay for brand new parts, then pay a GTA kid a hundred bucks or whatever to go fetch them a matching make model color to get the parts off.  strip it in two hours then launch it off the rollback on the parkway in 5 seconds and be gone. 

more than likely the thief already knows who they are bringing this thing to when they snatch it. and the receiver probably knows exactly what it is too. i live on one of those roads where the stolen stuff from town ends up and gets traded around. 

you have a much better chance of finding it by looking for a new lumber seller or log buyer.  just keep that in mind.

keep a close tab on your car when its warming up outside the house.  carloads of them get dropped off a hundred miles from base and have to rob their way back in a vehicle.  generally young males trapped in human traffic situations.. places like jersey, philly, chicago, boston etc have a lot of this and shop the suburbs at daylight when normal people are headed to work.  my dad snatched one out of his van a few years ago. and a neighbor here got hit last year.
Praise The Lord

trimguy

I'm sorry to hear that. I hate a thief. I will keep an eye out. It looks like you did a very nice job of building it.

boonesyard

Sorry to hear that, it sucks. Looks like a nice mill.

Been talking about putting in security camera for a year now, last Sunday was the final straw. We were only gone for a couple hours, but someone tried to break in to the shop, wrecked the door handle but didn't get in. Never had an issue in 30+ years. Pulled the trigger and put a security camera in this week that sees the whole yard. Too many people out there trying hard to not work hard. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

bannerd

Cameras don't work these days,  A guy walked up during the night to a local store with a fake license plate(s), loaded a brush hog and drove off.  Since he had a mask on it was impossible to tell who it was.  Knew what he was doing as he brought a skid steer and an angle grinder to cut the cable.

The power company here runs cables with a ceramic insert, those seem to work good.  Run them around the wood chippers and bucket trucks but even then they get defeated.  Common thieves look for GPS boxes and hook ups, I don't know a good product that will work honestly.

boardmaker

I hope you find it Bruce.  It's obvious you worked hard on it.  It's just as nice as any production mill I've seen.

ReggieT

YIKES!!
Ardmore is mighty close to my old stomping grounds.
I use to run a Schwans Frozen food route that covered both the Tenn & Alabama Ardmore.

I'll keep my eyes & ear open.
Little do they know concerning the "Law of the Harvest"...it's coming up again!

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lostinmn

Quote from: bannerd on June 03, 2021, 12:59:02 PM
Cameras don't work these days,  A guy walked up during the night to a local store with a fake license plate(s), loaded a brush hog and drove off.  Since he had a mask on it was impossible to tell who it was.  Knew what he was doing as he brought a skid steer and an angle grinder to cut the cable.

The power company here runs cables with a ceramic insert, those seem to work good.  Run them around the wood chippers and bucket trucks but even then they get defeated.  Common thieves look for GPS boxes and hook ups, I don't know a good product that will work honestly.
The camera is less there to catch them after than to be alerted on your phone that someone is up to no good.  Most camera let you speak though them and/or have an automated message/alarm triggered by movement.  Most people will skedaddle when confronted by alarm going off or someone speaking to them via the cam saying he I see you and you better get.... (they don't know how far you and your shotgun are away  ;D). 

farmfromkansas

Think we are going to have to make templates and use spray paint to put our names on everything we own.  That mill would have been distinctive if it had your name painted on it in big letters.  Fancy, so it looks like a brand.  Help the police identify it too.  Be better than Woodmizer painted on it.

dgdrls

Sorry to hear this

https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

something like this,

other systems are out there as well

D

Vautour

The tracking device is an excellent idea having it hidden on your mills somewheres,... another thing when having a home built mill sometimes your band saw blades can be an odd ball length so i'd check all the saw blade distributors and blade sharpeners if someone comes in looking for that specific length,.. all the hard work required on a home built and have it stolen is just sickening.      
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Peter Drouin

:rifle:  then feed them to the hogs
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

What you got against the hogs?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bigD

So Sorry, I just went to check on mine yesterday (it at my parent old place across the road) and found someone stole about 10 cherry slabs, all my bands, all my cant hooks and had my mill all ready to go to pull it out.  I guess they were waiting on it to dry up.  I cant stand a *DanG thief, lord help them and me if I catch them.
I sure hope you get yours back.  I really do feel for you to put so much work in something and have someone think they can just take it.

mike_belben

Wow that was a lucky catch   :o
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Sorry to hear this.
I'm going to look into that tracking device.
Im a long ways from you but will keep an eye out.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodpecker52

Sorry for your loss,  I have a friend that lost 4 zero turn mowers from his dealership, since recovered, however he now puts magnetic gps trackers on all his equipment.  They cost about $30 each.  Those with sawmills left out in open should look into them.  You could set them in the electric boxes and add electrical info on them to disguise them or place them in rail tubes etc., but in this day and drug age stuff is going to be stolen, especially when they are letting criminals go with a wrist slap.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Jim_Rogers

Has anyone tried any of the "Tile" tracking devices? Or something similar.
You can get them pretty cheap but reviews say some don't work very well.
If someone could recommend a brand or model that they use and it works well for them that would be great.
Thanks.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nativewolf

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 05, 2021, 10:55:37 AM
Has anyone tried any of the "Tile" tracking devices? Or something similar.
You can get them pretty cheap but reviews say some don't work very well.
If someone could recommend a brand or model that they use and it works well for them that would be great.
Thanks.
Jim Rogers
The apple airtag work well but better in urban areas where you have people with iphones around
Liking Walnut

Tacotodd

If something like a fluid proof capsule that that's also a tracking device is made then you could always just drop it into the fuel tank. I don't know if such a device exists, but it's something to think about 🤔
Trying harder everyday.

Daburner87

^That is an amazing idea.   When I did landscaping some of the other crews I would see had welded their own company name onto the equipment.   Really a nuisance more than a deterrent, but they either have to cut it off or sell like that depending on their skill level and tool set.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

farmfromkansas

Big D you had better be camping out close to your mill when it dries up. Maybe you could catch the dirty buggers.  Set up a game camera disguised to watch your mill at least. 

mike_belben

If i was a thief id be working in the pouring rain when nothing makes a sound and the dog doesnt even want to go outside. Keep a close watch. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

had a friend whos family had people driving into and through their very nice front yard.  nice street with curbs.  he put nails through a board, painted green and placed in the yard.  next time it happened, they found the car about 2 blocks from the house.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Patrick NC

They make a GPS tracker for excavator buckets that is actually inside a compartment that is welded to the bucket. The only way to disable it is to cut it off with a torch. Not a quick job as the compartment is 1/2" thick steel pipe welded to the back of the bucket. I have no idea how it works as obviously there's no way to charge a battery in that type of application, but I do know it can be tracked on our office computers. This product is sold through our local Komatsu dealer so im not sure how you'd go about getting it for a sawmill, but the technology is out there. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

farmfromkansas

I plan to talk to the sheriff about those gps trackers.  Probably need to buy a number of them and put them on everything I own and keep at the farm yard. We'll see how they work next time those thieves stop by.  My mill is going to get one for sure.  Been hiding the hitch for it, but possible they will bring their own hitch.

Magicman

Guys, we need some links to the products that you are mentioning.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on June 06, 2021, 10:49:23 AM
Guys, we need some links to the products that you are mentioning.  :P
MM:
I agree with you and I think it should be a thread all by itself.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Lostinmn

This looks like an interesting options:

The Equipment Lock GPS Tracker | The Equipment Lock Company

Going to do some more research, but 60 to by 120 a year for subscription seems reasonable to protect the cost of a sawmill, tractor, or etc.

Their product only has three reviews on amazon as it seems new, but their other products on amazon look like they review pretty well.  I emailed them for more details on subscription, battery life and etc.  Will pass along if it looks promising.

Ianab

Digging on the web page it says 4 year battery life (depending on "things")

I see it only phones home twice a day, that will be how they stretch out the battery life. 

Problem I can see with those trackers is that GPS needs to be able to "see" the sky. If it's hidden in a metal box or mill frame it will neither get a GPS lock, or be able to phone home. When machinery has the GPS built in then it can be integrated into the Engine ECU box or similar, and an antenna hidden in the wiring loom making it very difficult to disable. 

On a car a box like that can be hidden behind a plastic bumper and still work, so that might give some mounting / disguise ideas?  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

trapper

lt 30 and lt40 have an open tube at the top of the mast which would be hard to detect yet have a wide open view of the sky.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Lostinmn

Quote from: Lostinmn on June 06, 2021, 01:18:42 PM
This looks like an interesting options:

The Equipment Lock GPS Tracker | The Equipment Lock Company

Going to do some more research, but 60 to by 120 a year for subscription seems reasonable to protect the cost of a sawmill, tractor, or etc.

Their product only has three reviews on amazon as it seems new, but their other products on amazon look like they review pretty well.  I emailed them for more details on subscription, battery life and etc.  Will pass along if it looks promising.
Here is the response I received on a couple questions I emailed:

Do you need a subscription for each unit or can you track multiple units with one? 

-Each unit tracks 1-item.  You can move a single unit around to multiple pieces of equipment and update its asset details in the software.
-If you have multiple units, you will need a subscription for each unit.
-There are two pricing options for the subscriptions,  an annual and a monthly.

Also like to know more regarding the batter life. Is t battery replaceable after 4 years or do you have to replace the units?

-The battery life is based on a 2-report per day expectancy.  The device reports at 8 AM and 4 PM local time.  (This is not a real-time tracking device)
-The battery is non-replaceable as it is potted to ensure a water-tight and all environment-friendly tracker. 
-After the battery has expired, the unit will need to be replaced.

bannerd

GPS is awesome but it also comes with a monthly payment unless you use open source.  After talking to some police/troopers around here $50 GPS signal identifiers are pretty normal for thieves.  They use them to locate and remove the device or destroy or jam it with other means. 

I thought long and hard about this,  I'm going to get a wheel spacer and some special lug nuts.  That way I can take the wheel off put the spacer on and then thread on these lugs nuts.  The wheel spacer will be recessed so you cant use a pipe wrench to take the lug nuts off.  I think this will work well when you're at a remote site, when the mill is back home maybe the same practice but behind locked doors.

I suppose this could be defeated but it wouldn't be easy.  Just thinking.

Southside

So if I am a smart thief then I call these tracking companies, learn these details, assume anything I steal is tagged, and work around their details.  Only steal after 4:00 PM and make sure anything that can't be inspected has gone through a crusher before 8:00 AM.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Maybe a pressure switch activated glue / glitter / dye device that goes off if the pressure on the front tongue jack is released.  Basically the thief and the back of their vehicle gets coated in the same dye used in bank robbery packs. 

They are going to run after that happens, and you have a decent chance of finding out who it is after the fact.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

boardmaker

Southside,
  With my memory, I would become the most proficient tester of my anti-theft device...

I can picture half the guys here driving down the road with their car and themselves sparkling away.

bruce29

I Got a phone call saying someone thought they seen it on I 75 headed north into Knoxville  Tenn that fit the time frame mine was stolen. If anyone is around that area keep an eye out.

nativewolf

I think an apple airtag could be a good solution now that i've read more. Not cell based GPS but bluetooth (longer lasting) and sends off other phones/devices.  If they got near the mill with the find my iphone function or camera enabled it would ping (you'd know who was around the mill and when).  If they disabled they could not find the airtag (very small).  Going down the road and at rest stops/restaurants it would be pinging away.  Think i will get a pack to try them out.
Liking Walnut

Lostinmn

Quote from: nativewolf on June 08, 2021, 08:50:52 AM
I think an apple airtag could be a good solution now that i've read more. Not cell based GPS but bluetooth (longer lasting) and sends off other phones/devices.  If they got near the mill with the find my iphone function or camera enabled it would ping (you'd know who was around the mill and when).  If they disabled they could not find the airtag (very small).  Going down the road and at rest stops/restaurants it would be pinging away.  Think i will get a pack to try them out.
Be very interested to see how these work out, keep us posted!

Log Dawg

You can also drop your outriggers and put a lock thru the holes . I know this might only slow a good theft down, but he would not be able to back up hook up and take off.
2006 LT40HDD51 Cat Diesel, Board Return, Auto Clutch, De-Barker & Accuset, ShopBot CNC, 1953 Ford Jubilee, IDry

metalspinner

Bruce29,
That's my neighborhood! I'll keep an eye out. I notice things like mills and trailers full of logs or lumber. 😉

Assuming someone wants to keep the mill in tact for use, they might change the color. Are there a couple of quick identifying features one could recognize??
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

welderskelter

If a crusher around here buys a sawmill painted up like that one. They would put it out by the highway for sale rather than crush it. Now on second hand if they stole my mill it looks like it has already been thru the crusher.

mike_belben

Its worth in scrap is extremely low compared to as a mill or in sawn lumber.  

Theres an ambutious get rich quick new miller out there sawing yard trees out behind the shed right now.  Booms do that.
Praise The Lord

stihlsawer

Quote from: mike_belben on June 03, 2021, 08:06:54 AM
Man that was a real beauty. I hope they hang for it.

I will keep a close eye out for it in my neck of the woods.   LSN.com is a TN/AL/GA classified to watch too.  

Paging some folks in the region...

@treemuncher  
@will k  
@just_sawing  
@123maxbars  
@kiko
@Kenny.jenkins  
@stihlsawer  
@Jjoness4  
@wolf nemeth  
@grabber green  
@Downstream  
@YellowHammer  
@Sawbriar  
@AlabamaLaura  
@RichTired  
@Esaw  
@ReggieT  
@Hot Shot Rob  
I definitely keep my eyes open. Beautiful mill and hope it's found intact. 
Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

Nebraska

I hope some dipstick posts a photo about his new sawmill on faceplate and you catch up to them....  It's home built so they can't strip the parts, they either have to sell it, or use it to get any $$ for their work.. 

Southside

Or the thief sells it to the poor sap who is trying to bust his butt and make a living. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

farmfromkansas

Think most of these thieves just sell for scrap prices at scrap yards, after all, they are metal thieves.   the safest way to turn the stuff into cash.  What else they going to do, advertise their stolen goods?  My wife is working on a nice template, plan to paint my name on all my stuff.  At least if you see my name on the side of my trailer going up the highway, maybe you will write down the tag number of the truck pulling it.

mike_belben

QuoteWhat else they going to do, advertise their stolen goods?

Turn it directly into drugs.  Saves a step.  Junkies know what their dealers are looking for.  Risk getting busted trying to scrap a perfectly beautiful sawmill?  The cash might buy 10 pills.   bring the sawmill, quad, sxs, corvette, pro chainsaws etc etc etc to the dealer and negotiate for 100 pills with a complete understanding that its stolen and must be kept pretty hidden forever.
Praise The Lord

Sixacresand

I envision the GPS tracker device laying on the ground where the mill once sit.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

RichTired

When I have visited Pawn shops in my area, most of the construction tools and cases all have a name of a person or construction company on them. And the Pawn shop workers all saw they are not stolen... ???
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

RepairMyWiFi

bruce29

Recovered my sawmill, was damaged a lot but repairable 

Old Greenhorn

Good for you. Do you have any details, they catch the thief? What did they do with it? What kind of damage did it take? C'mon man, details! ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RichTired

Well that's good news you got it back, 8) but bad news it was damaged!  :'(

Can you share the story of its return?
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

fluidpowerpro

I am so happy for you that you got your mill back. I built a lot of my mill myself and couldnt imagine what it would feel like to have it stolen. After you put so many hours into it, it becomes more than just a possession. Hopefully the damage is not too bad and you can be milling again soon.
Take care. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

btulloh

Excellent news. Thanks for the update and the good news. Sorry to hear it's damaged.

HM126

WV Sawmiller

Great to hear it is home. Hope the damage is not too bad. Mostly I hope they caught and punish the miscreants to the maximum allowed by law. Let us know what happens with them.

How did they recover it? Any tips you learned you want to post to help the rest of us?
Howard Green

slider

Glad you got it back ,fine looking mill.
al glenn

maple flats

That's amazing you got it back. Did they catch the thieves? How extensive is the damage?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chuck White

Good news, glad to hear that you have recovered your mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

711ac

I'm very happy for you, but for almost 3 weeks we on this end have taken partial ownership of your mill (story) and need to know the "nitty gritty". 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Woodpecker52

So if he won't finish the story I guess we will have to for him:

It was 3 am and the phone rings, I stumbled out of bed and reached for my I phone on my nightstand, there  was a  raspy voice on the other end, and he says " Is this bruce 29" and I says who in the heck is calling me at this time of night?
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

metalspinner

"I'm going to cut something off every hour on the hour until the ransom demands are met. And believe me, what I cut off will be missed!," says Raspy Voice
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Southside

After the intelligence was confirmed, and the briefing completed, the 16 of us loaded our gear onto the warming up bird for the infil ride....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Unfortunately the gas light was on. chopper fuel prices are outrageous!  and our electric one was still in the shop for battery issues. 

So we saddled up the donkeys...
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

So since the operation was across the state lines we had to have health papers on the donkeys. So an after hours  text was sent to the local vet. He saw it two hours later when he stopped for roofing supplies..The local vet called  back and said sorry he had gotten done at the office and headed up to the cabin  at closing time.  Thus stalling the trip across state lines til another vet could be reached. Mean while parts are starting to come off of the mill.

(Loosely based on a true story from last night) ;)

welderskelter

Now that we have crossed state lines this is a federal issue. Not sure which government office will prosecute. May have to wait till 2024 before any investigations can be done. The mill will be impounded until done. To check for fingerprints. Cant remember the names of the federal investigators as it has been so long since their last case they may have died. We will be in touch thru the swat teams at 3;00 oclock in the morning.

mike_belben

Being outlaw sawmillers with no patience for big brother and his procedures, i said pith on it and backed my donkey up to the gates of the impound lot where the mill had been brought for holding until the 'investigation' concludes.  But my old wrinkled ass wasnt strong enough. 

After a braveheart speech, then a good huddle and a few rounds of 'come and take its' and 'molon labes!' with fistbumps and bro hugs sprinkled in between... My comrades and i rigged our survival bracelets and 5.11 tacticool web belts to team up our donkeys to the gate.  

With the whole team in 4 low and running on 16 cylinders, they gee'd and haw'd those hinges plum off.
Praise The Lord

Hilltop366

As it turns out the DOJ has been on the case for a while now, not only has SNL, Colbert, Meyers, and Kimmel been under investigation for bad jokes and bad impressions it has been discovered that they run a nation wide sawmill theft and chop shop.

PS, Glad you got your mill back!

Southside

There are some scenes that training just can't prepare you for. I thought I had seen the worst of humanity. The deprivation, the pure evil that would allow one to conduct such torture, it was him holding  the Vice Grips that sent me over the edge. Of all tools he could have used. Rage boiled inside of me, all I saw was red, I snapped, blacked out. In hindsight I forget the mill had been painted red originally...
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Patched members wear your cuts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

During the investigation the search dog was called in and checked the mill from stem to stern and alerted so the mill was cut into pieces searching for drugs, weapons and illegal/conflict diamonds. None were found so Nebraska was called in as a consultant to evaluate the search dogs behavior and quickly determined the thief's girlfriend had a female poodle in heat that had piddled all over the mill in her excitement over such a thrilling piece of machinery. The search dog being an un-neutered male mis-read the trail and caused misery and woe to all. To ensure the search dog does not repeat the mistake he went ahead and neutered him. Nebraska was last seen headed for Rock Hill SC with his neutering knife in his back pocket to consult with friends there about problems with a misbehaving goat. The story continues.
Howard Green

welderskelter

Bruce29 must be down there huggin and kissin his sawmill. Hope his wife dont catch him, women get kinda narrow minded when they dont get their share.

Lynwoo

now as this saga has contained pooches that may or may not have been psychologically damaged the office of unhumaine pooch handling (uph) has sent special agent in charge gruff mc gruff from the national center for proper pooch handling to investigate the alleged attempted possible causes of non reproducibility in traumatized pooches.  Little is known about this all too often event and with proper funding and administering the special secret oath this could be the breakthrough that has so often been the silent wish for so many victims. 

All kidding aside I as well rejoice in you finding your goods.

Don P

I'm starting to think the recovery was a ruse by the miscreants because they had sawn the clamps off and realized none too soon that they needed to kidnap an operator.

Southside

We would have found the mill a lot sooner but Master Chief Jeff kept stopping at every piece of lumber he saw along the trail and had to analyze it.  What type of mill was it sawn on?  Left hand or right hand?  Was this from the missing mill? Then Squad leader @WDH would stop and measure all of the big trees along the way hoping to find a new state record.   No need to mention the team member who kept rolling over the 4 wheeler on every hill. Just flip him back over and on our way we would go.  On a good note he kept the team fed with fresh catfish.   ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

When i have my FF cut on I carry a 48" Logrite peavey .
While looking for crooks .

Nebraska

Bruno  you are not alone.

Thank You Sponsors!