iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New woodmizer rail

Started by MacPhly, May 08, 2021, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacPhly

So I got my new lt35. Love this thing!! It's like having a super power! 

Anyway quick question. There seems to be some kind of coating on the rail. I started knocking it off with scotchbrite but now I'm having second thoughts. Is that just laying bare more metal to rust? I'm thinking it'll wear off eventually anyway but maybe I'm just speeding up the process...? Thoughts? 

terrifictimbersllc

If it's like the new Woodmizer's I have bought it's paint. Don't try to take it off just let it wear it off.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

donbj

As mentioned, no need to remove all the paint. The rollers only contact about a 1/8th inch path on the rail. I keep a bottle of atf and a narrow paint brush handy and keep surfaces coated with that when not in use and rust is not an issue.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

tawilson

Quote from: donbj on May 08, 2021, 12:53:56 PM
As mentioned, no need to remove all the paint. The rollers only contact about a 1/8th inch path on the rail. I keep a bottle of atf and a narrow paint brush handy and keep surfaces coated with that when not in use and rust is not an issue.
At Dollar General the other day and saw a pan scrubber that holds soap and dispenses with a button. It works with at too. Since I got the Woodmizer I use it all over the place.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

terrifictimbersllc

Not sure about washing, but waxing sawmills is not allowed here. :D :D :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Be sure to keep the felt pad soaked with ATF as described in the manual. Every time you run up and back it lubes the rail. I don't remember but seems like it is supposed to be lubed about every 4 hours or so. Just loosen the 2 wing bolts, lift the pad unit, clean out any accumulated sawdust, soak the felt pad with ATF and reinstall. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodpecker52

Best accessory for a sawmill air compressor and long air handle, cleans off felt pads, belts, blades, tracks with ease.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

711ac

I'm "dusting" with a Makita blower that uses the same batteries as all my other makita cordless stuff. Not an air compressor but if I don't let it build up it gets the job done. 

Magicman

I have a Stihl BG56C that travels with me and blows the sawmill off at the end of each sawing day.  It also serves very well blowing loose dirt from logs and even sawdust from a stickered stack of lumber.

It's air volume far exceeds any air compressor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

I wipe a light coating of ATF on the rails, blade guide arm, saw head masts and chains, each day with the end of an old sock.  I have seen YouTube videos where ATF is poured on the rails and it just seems to be flowing off.  Too much in my opinion.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on June 14, 2021, 05:34:32 PM
I have a Stihl BG56C that travels with me and blows the sawmill off at the end of each sawing day.  It also serves very well blowing loose dirt from logs and even sawdust from a stickered stack of lumber.

I have the same blower!
At the end of the day, if you happen to be pressed for time getting back on the road, use the blower to cool off the muffler so you can install your cover.
Only takes a couple of minutes, rather than half an hour waiting for it to naturally cool!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Percy

Quote from: Chuck White on June 18, 2021, 08:51:32 PM
Quote from: Magicman on June 14, 2021, 05:34:32 PM
I have a Stihl BG56C that travels with me and blows the sawmill off at the end of each sawing day.  It also serves very well blowing loose dirt from logs and even sawdust from a stickered stack of lumber.

I have the same blower!
At the end of the day, if you happen to be pressed for time getting back on the road, use the blower to cool off the muffler so you can install your cover.
Only takes a couple of minutes, rather than half an hour waiting for it to naturally cool!
Leaf blowers rule!

Skating is Better when Propelled by a Leaf Blower || ViralHog - YouTube
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!