iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has Anybody Used a Lane Shark or Similar?

Started by YellowHammer, August 11, 2021, 10:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moodnacreek

Probably not the answer here. I mow old fields with an IH 100 series [110] side mounted balanced sickle bar [7'] that will mow vertical and cut 1" branches without damage. This mower was available with a 9' bar also.

dogone

Yellowhammer: The samurai will cut 1 1/2 inch or slightly bigger but I have to stop and chew through it. My tractor has a clutch so just stop while it's chewing. The first cut on a hedge is the slowest as there are more big branch's. Following years are just regrowth so much faster.

Hilltop366

Does the samurai have a "break away" on the mount or spring back in some way to prevent bending it?

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

@Bruno of NH 

I had not seen that one, it looks cool.  I called them today, interestingly enough, it's a 4 knife planer head mounted on a frame.  Its about $10K delivered.  The drawback is that the sales guy said it didn't cut grass, and long flexible grass, such as Johnson grass and briers may wrap and clog the head.  It apparently works well on brush.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

I'm going to be in the market for something like this next year. 
I'm buying my uncle's kubota next year when he moves full time to Nevada.
I want to do the same as you , cut grasses,  brush and limbs
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dogone

Hilltop 336
The samurai doesn't have a breakaway. Not been an issue as you can see what is being cut and slow down or stop and whittle through. 

dogone

The samurai has no breakaway. But any branch that is cuttable will also bend. You have lots of time to stop and chew, no need to back up usually

YellowHammer

@dogone Will the samurai knaw through bigger branches, or will it just not feed them into the teeth?  I have lots of 2" and 3" also, mostly 2" I would guess. 

Apparently, Lane Shark is now being distributed by John Deere, so I called up my local Deere dealer and they quoted a price maybe $1500 dollars more than advertised, they said it was the installed cost.  

When I talked to dealer however, he was very hesitant to say this was the product I needed.  In fact, he said these are better suited to smaller compact tractors, and are fairly lightweight and wasn't sure they could handle more than "occasional" or "light use."  His words, not mine.  He said he would sell me one, but wasn't sure it was what I should be buying.  Honesty is the best policy.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

Robert, with that Stout-Trailblazer thing, wait till you hit a big guinea wasp nest  :D :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stavebuyer

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 13, 2021, 11:52:20 PM
Does the samurai have a "break away" on the mount or spring back in some way to prevent bending it?
@Hilltop366 From the Samurai website it appears the "deluxe" mount now offered for $100 more has a breakaway feature. After looking at all the options I am going to order a Samurai to try out on my little NH T1520 35hp Hydro. For the money it will be worth it as a bank/ditch mower even it won't handle all the branches I might like to cut.

YellowHammer

@stavebuyer 
That is great.  I can't wait to find out how it works out.  Will you need to plumb in the case drain or make other mods to your hydraulic system?  I wish Samuri made the "Big Dog" version, cutting 2 to 3 inch.  

When I was asking the John Deere dealer about any kind of warranty with the Laneshark, he said, yeah, Laneshark comes with a warranty.  When I asked him if I broke it somehow cutting into too large a limb, would that be covered?  He said, no, that would not be covered, it would be under the abuse clause.   :(

So I asked him how I would know if a limb was too big??  He said, and I quote "When you tear something up." :D :D  

So I want to avoid that.

@WDH
I have hit some doozies, but yeah, that doesn't sound fun.  I've had some yellowjackets pop and bounce off the cab glass, but none have ever gotten in.
YellowHammerisms:

dogone

The samurai will not do 3 inch at all. Just plug hoses right in to take outs. Using it on side of bucket will work but obscures the view. I built a bracket to set about two feet off side of bucket. Mine is first generation, break away is new option but I think if you need it you are moving to fast.

farmfromkansas

YH, think you need a tree saw.  Douglas welding and machine has some.  You can google them.  There are several others, a neighbor has a heavy duty one he is going to let neighbors demo, but don't think my Case 60xt will handle one.  Need about the biggest model skidsteer you can buy to operate a big saw. Maybe someone sells a saw for a small tractor.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

farmfromkansas

Moodna, I have a International 1100 sickle mower, just bought it to clean up around the yard, but also have a Rowse double 9, Rowse bought the rights from International after they quit building the sickle mower, and they produce new single and double mowers, and you can get one with a New Holland as well.  They build both.  Amazing how much hay you can lay down with a double 9 sickle mower, but helps if the grass is dry.  I can mow as fast as a self propelled disc mower when conditions are right, and Rowse is a lot less expensive.  It does keep the small trees from taking over your hay field.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Andries

I have a similar situation to @Yellowhammer, but it's four to five miles of old logging trails now used to get to our lake cabin. 
The "pole saw, chainsaw and clearance saw" dance has been getting old for a few years now and so am I. 
At the mention of CAT and the Samurai, the design and price tag seemed darned attractive. I was also surprised to see them located in Winnipeg. Time to make a phone call . . . .
Long story short, I'm meeting the owner later this week and if the cards work in my favour, I might be prototyping a new 'blade'. 
I'd like to be able to trim the trails back enough to keep the North Woods from tearing the mirrors off my truck and if I can do that from the cab on my Ford loader, so much the better. 
I'll report back on what see and hear, and will keep my eyes open for some Big Dog Samurai blades.  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

YellowHammer

This is an interesting unit, a TB Flex.  It seems more heavy duty than the Lane Shark, and seems to be a good balance of offset mower for my pond, banks, and ditches, as well as a vertical limb trimmer.  Its rated for branches up to 4" and is $1,000 cheaper, at $3,400, than the Lane Shark.

2019 Titan Implement TB Flex - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

YellowHammer

So I've been reading reviews of this particular machine, they have not been good.  

YellowHammerisms:

stavebuyer

I just got an email that my Samurai shipped and to expect it to arrive this Friday. I hope the product is as awesome as the service.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Bruno of NH

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 18, 2021, 08:34:07 AM
This is an interesting unit, a TB Flex.  It seems more heavy duty than the Lane Shark, and seems to be a good balance of offset mower for my pond, banks, and ditches, as well as a vertical limb trimmer.  Its rated for branches up to 4" and is $1,000 cheaper, at $3,400, than the Lane Shark.

2019 Titan Implement TB Flex - YouTube

Messiscks did a demo on the Titan unit .
The kid was honest about what he liked and didn't 

btulloh

Bumped into a company called Spartan that makes a tool for trimming branches as well as other capabilities. 

https://www.spartanequipment.com/tractor-attachments/articulating-brush-cutter/

They also make a lot of other specialized attachments. 

https://www.spartanequipment.com/tractor-attachments/
HM126

stavebuyer

I got my Samurai Sabre mounted and made a quick test run. Had a leaking fitting and made a few adjustments but overall I am pleased and expect with a little fine tuning and operator head space adjustments it will do what I bought it to do.

Powering it through the bucket tilt circuit I am at the low end(3.5gpm of its flow requirement) but with a little practice it will cut 1" diameter Osage Orange limbs. With the deluxe bracket it gives a pretty good horizontal reach for ditch and pond banks in the horizontal position. With slick paint and a fresh film of hydraulic oil from the fitting I didn't have all the way tight I had some trouble keeping the cutter bar in position. They provide 2 bolts with it but it will be easy to add a third bolt and/or make a plate with some positive stop pins.

While its not made to take on neglected utility ROW work, its handy especially for a small tractor or SS that doesn't have the weight to handle any thing heavy hanging off the side. The whole unit is in the 100# range and with loaded tires my little tractor is about 3000#. I could feel the Samurai when its was in the horizontal position especially on a side hill. I hung it several times in larger limbs but it was no trouble to reverse the blades and move the bucket or back up to free it. Learning how to feed it does allow it "saw" through some slightly large material and I am sure a tractor with more flow and or higher pressure would also help.

The deluxe mounting bracket. There is a spring adjustment inside the square tube that controls the amount of tension before the mount trips(tripped position shown)

I had to chip away and make a few passes and adjustments but I moved this Osage Orange brush line back about 6ft
and that is exactly the type of stuff I need to keep clipped. Any thing bigger and you would probably need more tractor and more cutter.

Thank You Sponsors!