iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Ida

Started by Magicman, August 27, 2021, 08:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

The weather predictor is showing Ida will pass directly over us here in Brookhaven.  Among other things we have our generators ready and hopefully plenty of gas because we certainly will loose power.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

Stay safe and check in when you can. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

My sister's deciding in the morning whether she will leave NOLA and come up here to TN. 
I remember vividly having to make these decisions all the time.  I grew up in Morgan City, LA. Last I saw, they are right in line for this one. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

Just what we need right now. :(
Stay safe everyone.

mike_belben

God bless you and yours lynn.  Hang in there.
Praise The Lord

low_48

Our weatherman said the rain will hit Tennessee in a few days. Just talking 3-4" but said it could track right over the disaster area from the flood.

SwampDonkey

Keep your heads low down there. Nothing fun about them nasties.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

MM, y'all hunker down, or move north and quickly. 

Prayers from Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CCCLLC

In our prayers MM, you , your family and nieghbors.

Roxie

It's upsetting to see big red blobs aimed at your friends. Please check in here when you're out of danger and get power back. 

Signed Roxie
The professional worrier 

Say when

Magicman

It looks like the weather guessers have shifted Ida's projected track toward the West and actually over Eastern Louisiana.  This will probably give us less wind but a massive amount of rainfall.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DbltreeBelgians

Stay safe my friend. Keep us updated when you are able.

Brent

dgdrls

Stay safe Lynn,

And al of you in Ida's path,

D

Magicman

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

16 years to the day since Hurricane Katrina devastated us.  The prediction now is that Hurricane Ida will still be a Category 1 when the eye passes about 45 miles West of us.  This puts us on the 'wet' side of the storm and will  give us a predicted ~9 inches of rain.

The eye is projected to pass directly over my Cabin/property. 

Our weather event will be tomorrow so all of the generators will be exercised today.

caveman

MM, I hope you and all of our other Forestry Forum friends who are in the path weather the storm with minimal or no damage.  I hope the amendments that have been made since Katrina are effective because this storm may put them to the test.

My son in law and his crew are on the way to Louisiana right now.  They spent about six weeks helping to rebuild the electrical service from the sub stations out after Michael.  He will likely be gone two weeks this time as he now works for the City of Lakeland and not an independent contractor.

It is not his first rodeo.  Last night at supper we were discussing that he would take an extra pair of boots, a boot drier, bug dope and I forgot to suggest that it is always good to have a good supply of Gold Bond lotion/powder for the nether regions.
Caveman

Magicman

Our generators are gassed up and tested.  Nothing to do now but wait. 

redbeard

Prayers too all in the path of storm.
Lynn you may need too have your boat ready too!

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

HemlockKing

Looks like we might even get something from ida by Thursday or Friday, probably just heavy rain.
A1

jasonb

Looks like the eye will pass over us here at my in-laws in Gonzales.  Starting to have some strong gusts.

Yall stay safe.
HM122

John Mc

Hope you are faring well, Magicman. I've lost touch with most of my acquaintances in Brookhaven since Keystone-Seneca shut down some years ago. (I remember sleeping on the floor of their conference room after Katrina hit, since all of the area hotel rooms were full of powerline repair folks and other emergency workers along with people displaced form their homes in other parts of the state.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

@Magicman , I too am wondering how you are making out. I saw you logged in earlier this afternoon but saw no posts. Hoping you folks are hunkered down and getting through it. Y'all have been on my mind all weekend.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 30, 2021, 05:23:22 PMI saw you logged in earlier this afternoon but saw no posts.
Yup, the Forestry Forum is my 'home page' so even if I log on to check the weather I have passed through here.  

All is well here.  The Power companies and their contractors are doing a magnificent job restoring power.   Marty and I have removed all of the generators (4) that our families were using except one and we expect that it can be removed before dark.

PatD and I made a quick trip to the Cabin and all was OK there except the power was/is still off so we removed what little was in the frig.  

Tomorrow will be a clean up day and hopefully I can saw Wednesday for my customer and Thursday for myself.

Roxie

We sure could use a little good news today!

I'm so happy all's well.  8)
Say when

Magicman

PatD had baked a skillet of biscuits and boiled some eggs just in case we were without power.  We weren't but...

You still do what you gots to do.  Ham/biscuits for lunch and...

Biscuits with some of @loggah 's Maple Syrup for dessert.

Oh yes, and there was also a batch of cookies.  food6

gspren

Looks like you'r really suffering!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Resonator

You cookin' 'dem biscuits with the skillet covered, Dutch oven style? digin1
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I was going to suggest the next time you have to take shelter from a hurricane to come up here to WV where we are generally sheltered from them but after seeing those biscuits and ham I may just have to come visit you in lockdown. digin_2
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

The biscuits and maple syrup are a fave of mine.  Mr. Gerald Bouchard gave me some very fine syrup as I have been maple syrup challenged and it has been very much savored and enjoyed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Resonator on August 31, 2021, 09:04:37 AMYou cookin' 'dem biscuits with the skillet covered
No in da oven.  Actually dat skillet thing is probably more accurately called a griddle, 'cause it's only maybe an inch deep. 

It holds da heat well and browns da bottoms very nicely.  I like 'crusty' biscuits.  This is a different batch and it's easier to see the height of the sides. 

Mater sammich for lunch today but no pix.

Tom King

Glad you came through not too bad.

I had an old Carpenter working for me in the 1970's, who was pretty overweight.  He went to the doctor, and the Dr. told him he needed to back off eating biscuits, and lose some weight.  

The next time he went to the doctor (he was having heart trouble), the doctor told him he thought he'd told him to back off the biscuits. 

Mr. Pierce said," I did back off eating biscuits."

The Doctor asked him how many he ate last night, and Mr. Piece said, "I didn't eat but a dozen."

Magicman

Interestingly enough, PatD's biscuit skillet bakes a Baker's Dozen 

sawguy21

I'm not a southerner, never been there, but I luvs fresh hot biscuits with butter. 8) Stay safe and keep us posted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

I'm a lousy cook but I usually have pretty good luck with biscuits. I would like to try those biscuits, any chance PatD would share the recipe?

jrsloan1

Lynn,  Glad y'all made it OK.  We've been busy and very wet as well.  Take care.  Jimmy
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Resonator

When I make biscuits I gotta peel the wrapper off the can far enough that it goes "PLOOF!" If I don't go poppin' right away, I gotta bang it on the corner of the counter. ;D

I seen a recipe online for cookin' biscuits in a skillet on a stovetop (or campfire) covered like a Dutch oven, wondered if you were "roughin' it" and makin' 'em dat way.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

samandothers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 31, 2021, 09:36:41 AM
  I was going to suggest the next time you have to take shelter from a hurricane to come up here to WV where we are generally sheltered from them but after seeing those biscuits and ham I may just have to come visit you in lockdown. digin_2
Taking your grand daughter to visit Luke?

Claybraker

Another handy use for whomp biscuits.  Chicken and Dumplings. Only 2 ingredients for those of us that are culinary challenged. Okay 3 if you add a Vidalia onion or two.

WV Sawmiller

Dumplings and fried apple/fruit pies are the the only valid reason for having whoomp biscuits in the fridge. They are an abomination when served in lieu of the real thing. Unfortunately I think they are what Cracker Barrel is serving which is sort of like watching a great society in sharp decline. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

HemlockKing

We could start a thread about a end of the world event and Inevitably it will end up a discussion about food lol lol 
A1

rjwoelk

Glad you are ok, we have been having some storms roll through,  taking out crop, and several farms destroyed by tornadoes.  
We had biscuits, farmers sausage and watermelon  last night.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

pineywoods

The pine hills of north louisiana are mostly un-touched by ida. No problems here, never even lost power...Biscuits..would you believe frozen biscuits in an air fryer?? Takes a little trial and error to get the time right, but works kike a charm.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GAB

Quote from: pineywoods on September 01, 2021, 07:05:41 PM
The pine hills of north louisiana are mostly un-touched by ida. No problems here, never even lost power...Biscuits..would you believe frozen biscuits in an air fryer?? Takes a little trial and error to get the time right, but works kike a charm.
Glad to hear that you folks fared well.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

HemlockKing

We're gonna get hit by it but it's just a tropical storm, 60mph wind gusts, 4 inches of rain during the day, thunderstorms. Definitely won't be a work outside day
A1

Magicman

We are still eating our Hurricane Ida vittles:

Deviled (stuffed) egg, pink eye purple hull peas, beef stew, mater, and biscuits.  food6

sawguy21

Not sure of the peas, I have never heard of those, but the rest sure looks good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 01, 2021, 08:19:02 PMNot sure of the peas, I have never heard of those
Google will find many examples.  :)

WV Sawmiller

Dump the deviled eggs and add some fried okra and call me. I'll bring the muscadine hull preserves for the biscuits. digin1
Howard Green

metalspinner

My sister from NOLA finally made her way up here. Power and water are out for an undetermined amount of time. Water will be an issue for a while. The waste water system is down, too. 
Her house and neighborhood made out fine with no real damage. 

The up side is that she emptied her freezer into a couple of ice chests to bring up here. Lots of trout and
Red fish! 8) 8) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

HemlockKing

I just heard on the radio it's "national grits day" said "if you're ever down south and you see grits on the menu, DONT" . lol lol 
A1

samandothers

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2021, 07:47:28 PM
We are still eating our Hurricane Ida vittles:

Deviled (stuffed) egg, pink eye purple hull peas, beef stew, mater, and biscuits.  food6
Glad you are suffering through those left overs!!

GAB

Quote from: HemlockKing on September 02, 2021, 07:55:23 AM
I just heard on the radio it's "national grits day" said "if you're ever down south and you see grits on the menu, DONT" . lol lol
Well one Northerner named RAY claims he has a lifetime supply compliments of MM and myself.
Again, thanks MM for the assistance in making RAY's cereal selection closer to complete.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jasonb

@Magicman 

How is the fuel situation up there?

I thought I was gonna get electric soon but maybe not.  I am trying to keep 3 houses going on generator and maybe a 4th.

2 Jugs
HM122

Magicman

I thought that we were done with generators, but we still have one running. 

Gasoline is available but not readily.  Close to the interstate and the major highway, there is none or log lines but a half mile away there is no wait.   We made a round trip to the coast area today (funeral) and even though I knew that I could make the round trip without filling up, I still topped off about 80 miles from home so that we would not have to deal with the fuel situation when we got home.

I filled my non-ethanol and Diesel containers Saturday before the storm.

jasonb

Thanks for the reply.

Everyone in NOLA and surrounding areas are heading up I55 to get gas.  I am good as of now and hope to get electricity soon but I have some friends that might not get it for awhile.  There is a lot of trees down in south Louisiana.  The electric crews and tree crews are doing an amazing job getting things back in place but it is just a mess around here.

2 Jugs
HM122

gspren

Ida came through my neighborhood on Wednesday, wet and windy but not "terrible". Thursday I picked up sticks and branches out of the yard and I have a few bigger branches that will need a couple cuts over some of my woods trails. Today I made a few passes up the driveway with the tractor and scraper box. We never lost power so I feel fortunate.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

My begonias took a direct hit. Photo for insurance purposes. 

We had a tornado touchdown 2 miles south of me. 7 homes demolished, 9 with major damage and 40 with minor damage. 

Volunteers swarmed in and tarped  damaged roofs, chainsaws buzzed all day and debris hauled away leaving some homeowners near tears. In Oxford that's how we roll. 

Say when

Nebraska

A friend had his farm place south of me hit by a small tornado. It tore up a fair amount of stuff. Tore the garage clear off of the house, took part of the house roof.  Made a mess of the out buildings, and trees. I left the office and ran down there. There were already 15 or so folks there helping clean up when we got there.  In a short while there were 60 or so there. A TV news crew showed up from Omaha and the young reporter  was dumb founded at the sight.. He asked me if this was some sort of village on this little farm (like a commune).   He couldn't figure out where the people came from.   I said no this is the country we take care of each other. We had Gary's place pretty well cleaned up  in 3 hrs. 

Roxie

It was confirmed to be an F2 traveled 6.9 miles 358 yards wide and had been within a tenth of a mile of my home. 

Nebraska city and country folks come from two different worlds. 
Say when

Hilltop366

Yikes! Too close for comfort.

firefighter ontheside

I was deployed to Louisiana for the last week in response to Ida with my FEMA urban search and rescue team.  I was in place in Lafayette just before the storm made landfall.  It was predicted to come right over us, but it went East.  The next day they sent us closer to NOLA.  They had been projecting that damage could have been just like from Katrina, but luckily that wasn't the case.  Still, the whole area was very hard hit by wind that took down more powerlines and poles than I could have imagined.  I just returned home today.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 04, 2021, 08:19:05 PM
I was deployed to Louisiana for the last week in response to Ida with my FEMA urban search and rescue team.  I was in place in Lafayette just before the storm made landfall.  It was predicted to come right over us, but it went East.  The next day they sent us closer to NOLA.  They had been projecting that damage could have been just like from Katrina, but luckily that wasn't the case.  Still, the whole area was very hard hit by wind that took down more powerlines and poles than I could have imagined.  I just returned home today.
Did they fly you in or did you drive with equipment?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

We drive.  Our convoy consists of 3 tractor trailers, 5 flatbeds F550's, 1 eleven passenger van, 3 Ford Excursions and 2 large busses.  We pull 3 boat trailers that carry 2 boats each, 2 gooseneck trailers, 1 bumper pull enclosed trailer and one flatbed trailer carrying a Kubota utility vehicle.  One of the tractor trailers is a flatbed carrying several large pallets, a large generator, a forklift and another Kubota.  While  we can load our equipment cache on C130, usually its better to drive.  We have much more flexibility that way.  With hurricanes, we have enough notice that we leave ahead of landfall and are in place ahead of time.  We do a lot of training with helicopters, namely Chinooks and Blackhawks.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Those tornadoes are nasty but they are sorta random as to what they will destroy. Seen results of one here a few years ago. Took out a trailer home, nothing but insulation scattered in the yard. And there was a family inside, unharmed. Right across the road is an old farm house, never touched it. Went across two heavy transmission lines, no damage, then tore a path down through the maple woods and died out before it got to the St John River, probably a mile from that trailer home.

Glad everyone is safe and eat'n good. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Canada sent crews to Chester County to help get our electricity restored!  Canada!  Talk about an overwhelming feeling of comfort and joy. They've got our backs. Thank you Canadians!  

Say when

samandothers

One of the last storms I worked before retiring I worked with some Line crews from Canada.  They were all retired from their first jobs.  This storm work was a part time gig as I recall. They did a great job.  I do not speak french so on a few occasions I had to use a translator app to communicate.

Roxie

Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isn't French and to foreigners it may as well be. 

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you weren't taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked who's birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them. 

Say when

farmfromkansas

Don't know if Ida was the cause, but we had some very nice slow rain here in Kansas, Thursday nite we got 3/4", and then Friday nite we received 2" more, nice and slow.  Now the beans are soaked up and we will have a nice fall harvest, as long as we don't get an early frost.  Just in time for the beans, they were getting crisp, but seem to be recovering nicely.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Chuck White

Quote from: Roxie on September 05, 2021, 08:58:21 AM
Yoopers also speak a language all their own but it sure isn't French and to foreigners it may as well be.

Necessity is also the mother of understanding a language you weren't taught.  Yesterday I was driving Amish and he asked to stop at the end of the drive to speak with his neighbor. She was up a bank so hollering commenced. When he got back in the car, I asked who's birthday had she mentioned and he temporarily had a look of horror cross his face that an outsider was capable of eavesdropping. Very quickly he recovered and began to chuckle and said that I always amaze them.

I have two brothers that speak pretty fluent German, when either of them are around the language most often spoken is English!
They were both dumbfounded a while back when they (the Amish neighbors) were speaking German and one of my brothers broke in and said "Ah, spreken ze doich"!  :o
After that, the were probably careful of what they said!  :)  
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jasonb

Still no power as of this morning.  I am all good except for the power situation.

The following is drone footage of Grand Isle, LA.  Lot of damage to the western side of the island as it is lower in elevation which allowed the storm surge to break through the protective berm and wash over the island.  Everything on the ground floor and camps that were not 10 ft off the ground were wash away.

drone footage of Grand Isle,LA

HM122

Magicman

That is horribly depressing.  I have fished out of Port Fourchon with Capt. Charlie Hardison many times.  Of course he is gone but the Charter Service was still there.

(I'll be fishing a bit further East next week.)  :)

firefighter ontheside

@2 Jugs I'm so sorry.  That damage is devastating.  We had folks telling us that we were needed in Grand Isle, but of course we can only go where FEMA sends us to help and that was not one of the places.  I do know that another Task Force was eventually sent there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jasonb

MM,

May the Lord bless you on your trip next week.

ffots,

No offense, but you lucked out on not going to Grand Isle.  The living conditions down there are brutal and will be for a while.

I have several friends with camps down there and spent many weekends fishing and relaxing on Grand Isle.  I have seen it come back from Katrina and Gustav and many other smaller hurricanes.  The devastation from Ida is in a whole other category.  Normally, it will take a week or 2 for services to be restored and cleanup would end but normal is years away.  For some, all they had done there is gone.  For them, there will be a new normal

2 Jugs
HM122

jasonb

Today the wife and I made a run to La Rose, LA(60 miles north of Grand Isle) to visit one of her co-workers.  The damage is really bad down there and we are 2 weeks out from the storm.  I can only imagine what it looked like the day after.  Electric companies are rebuilding most of the grid.  

The further you go, the worse it gets.   :( :( :(
HM122

Thank You Sponsors!